Has then de havilland mosquito ever competed in airracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has then de havilland mosquito ever competed in airracing

Has the de havilland mosquito ever done racing at reno or other places.

Re: Has the havilland mosquito ever competed in airracing

Not at Reno, although a Canadian-registered aircraft was used post-war in cross-country racing (see Don McVicar's book 'Mosquito Racer')

And there are no flying Mosquitos at present, since British Aerospace's crashed in July 1996. Kermit's hasn't flown in quite a number of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
      Not at Reno, although a Canadian-registered aircraft was used post-war in cross-country racing (see Don McVicar's book 'Mosquito Racer')

And there are no flying Mosquitos at present, since British Aerospace's crashed in July 1996. Kermit's hasn't flown in quite a number of years.
      There is one at the Elvington Airfield in England with the Halifax. It looked like it was close to flying when I saw it last summer, (05). I will check with my bud Steve in York and see if he has anymore scoop on it.
      Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Re: Has then de havilland mosquito ever competed in airracing

Robert Converse had a Mustang, Huntress 111 but Huntress 11 was a Mosquito flown by Diana Converse for record attempts. Not pylon racing though.

We're sorry, this page does not exist. But you can always find your way home.

BillRo

Comment

Originally posted by BillRo
          Robert Converse had a Mustang, Huntress 111 but Huntress 11 was a Mosquito flown by Diana Converse for record attempts. Not pylon racing though.

We're sorry, this page does not exist. But you can always find your way home.

BillRo
          anyone know why we don't see Huntress at Reno any more?

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
            There is one at the Elvington Airfield in England with the Halifax. It looked like it was close to flying when I saw it last summer, (05). I will check with my bud Steve in York and see if he has anymore scoop on it.
            That's Tony Agar's 'bitza' - put together from the mortal remains of a number of airframes over many, many years. A superb restoration, but never intended to be a flyer.

The only serious rebuild to fly anywhere in the world at the moment is Jerry Yagen's, being done in New Zealand. It's a new build airframe using the metal fittings and paperwork from an original Mossie.

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
              anyone know why we don't see Huntress at Reno any more?
              Sold to someone in Alaska last year and I herd a rumor it's up for sale again???
              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Jesse Stallings bought the twin to Don McVicar's Mk25 for use in the 1948 Bendix race. He completed the race. McVicar had an engine failure enroute to Long Beach and DNS.
                Don Brussard flew another MK 25 in the 1949 Bendix, and completed the race.
                Chris...

Comment

Hmmmm...a 'Mossie' against the 'BigBossman'.......
                  Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

If only some of these were still around!

Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Mosquito motors????

Were they the smaller cousin of the merlin...peraguin (sp???) or something around 900 to 1000 CID..... there HP was..... ?

This was a total or partial wood constructed airframe?

OO..... OO..... OO...., got abet going on the wood thing.

2 beers on the on the line !!

BM

Comment

All Mossies had Merlins or Packard Merlins of various Marks.

BillRo
                        Graduate of de Havilland Aeronautical Technical School

Comment

Perhaps you are thinking of the Westland Whirlwind that had two Peregrine engines that were troublesome. Old neighbor of mine worked on them and said they were slow and underpowered, but an excellent gun platform.

Comment

was the british aerospace mosquito the one that was at oshkosh afew years back, I thought there was one there more recently than in 96 but I could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
                              That's Tony Agar's 'bitza' - put together from the mortal remains of a number of airframes over many, many years. A superb restoration, but never intended to be a flyer.

The only serious rebuild to fly anywhere in the world at the moment is Jerry Yagen's, being done in New Zealand. It's a new build airframe using the metal fittings and paperwork from an original Mossie.

http://www.warbirdrestoration.co.nz/current.html#ka114
                              Thanks for the input Mike. It looked flyable from the outside, but of course you couldn't tell without talking to anyone or knowing more about it to begin with. It was close to closing time and we didn't really have much of a chance to talk to anyone. It was cool, nonetheless, eh? Maybe someone can do a flyable restoration of it some day. I sure would love to see one fly while I can still appreciate it.
                              Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Working...
                              X