Tipsy Miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipsy Miss

Some old scans that I found on my hard drive, the former JRS P-63 'Tipsy Miss' on arrival at Duxford in 1988 after purchase from Bob Reiser.

There was a LOT of filler on this aircraft - it took us some considerable time to strip it all off.

Sadly lost along with John Larcombe on the way back from La Ferte Alais in June 1990.

Re: Tipsy Miss

Reiser used to keep that plane at Stockton in the old Aero Nostalgia hangar. He put on a pretty impressive aero routine in that plane. As I recall, when he purchased the plane from Mike Smith, the ONLY thing he did was put the stock wingtips back on....it still had the wet wing, and was a very slick airframe. In fact, even after it was 'restored' across the pond, it still had the racing wing fillets on it, as well as the racing prop and the modified air intake (all visible in the air-to-air photo).

I miss that airplane....

Comment

It was also at hanger 5 at Mike Bouge in Oakland for awaile Shawn

Comment

The 'stock' wingtips and tailplane tips consisted of another set being rivited on over the existing clipped ones.

It remained pretty much as received, apart from a complete strip to bare metal and skin repairs as required.

An impressive performer, I too miss the aircraft, and even more the pilot - John was one of the 'good guys'.

Comment

What was ruled as the cause of this loss?

Comment

Reiser was quite a nice guy.
            I met him at a Travis airshow right after he got the P-63. Hit it right off talking about his flying days (As I remember he flew 63's for the military) sitting on the wing with him and looking thru his scrapbook. One of those good times.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
              What was ruled as the cause of this loss?
              In-flight engine fire just after take-off whilst returning from an airshow in France. The pilot jettisoned the door but elected to stay with the aircraft, possibly due to deciding that he had insufficient altitude to jump.

Comment

Working...
              X