C130 barrel role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C130 barrel role

Check out this vid! There is some killer stuff here on this sight.

Официальный сайт издательства МИФ. Максимально полезные книги о бизнесе, маркетинге, менеджменте, продажах, саморазвитии, тайм-менеджменте, копирайтинге и др.

I dont *think* this will interfieer with any copyright laws... It is posted on another public sight and this link just points you to that sight.

If there is any problems please let me know and I will be more then happy to edit my post.

Ok enough of the disclaimer and on to the meet of the message.

What I want to see is the Tbirds, or the blues fire off some flares in a diamond formation like you will see in this vid.

I want to see a C-130 do a barrel role, Red, White, and Blue smoke on the TBirds, and or Blues, and a show by the britsh Aarows, and or any other arobatic team. These guys put on some killer performances that we can only dream of seeing in person (unless we travle over seas).

Like this! http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/Guest/1/

Enjoy!

Re: C130 barrel role

Originally posted by wolfee
    What I want to see is the Tbirds, or the blues fire off some flares in a diamond formation like you will see in this vid.
    That WAS hot wasn't it!!

Originally posted by wolfee
    I want to see a C-130 do a barrel role
    What to heck was that airplane? I stopped the vid at the moment it rolled and it's only a twin...

Something European of some sort..

Really neat video! And yes, as far as I know, it's legal to link to an entire page like you did...

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It was a C-27J the updated version of the Italian G-222 (which has been barrel rolling at airshows for years).

Not all of the teams in that vid are at MAKS, some shots are taken elsewhere (RIAT at Fairford for instance)

Comment

compilation vid of air show teams.

Yeah I noticed it wasnt a C-130 after the 8th time I watched. It was very late/ very early or I would have edited the post title.

But hey if they can do it, why can't we? I know for a fact I would have to change my shorts after every show if Fat Albert were to come by air show center doing a barrel role! Just add it to the JATO act. everyone would be like WTF was that

Comment

Could the wing root even take the stress of a roll they get pretty heavy handed with fat albert at the air shows and a roll doesn't seem like it would be that much of a stress PROVIDED IT WAS EMPTY a loop would also be cool,They also pushed the heck out of them at plant 42 in palmdale doing over the tops and wingovers,I once saw a C130 hang on the props that was cool but the insueing tail slid was the bomb how that guy fit his balls in the cockpit was a mystery HaHa.I even saw and herd a pilot get busted for a aerobatic maneuver in civilian air space in a B1 at plant 42,Guess you are not susposed to fly at 50ft then pull straight up with full afterburn and do an over the top,It was so warm and windy and very loud and the guy with the scanner said the tower was not happy with the pilot and he was in deep dodo

Comment

If done CORRECTLY, a barrel roll is a 1 g maneuver all the way through, and the aircraft never even 'knows' it is upside down.

The only way a barrel roll puts stress on the plane is if the pilot messes it up. You just have to have enough 'entry speed' to complete the maneuver without slowing down. Its when you slow down that you have to tighten the roll up...and that is how you end up pulling g's.

That's how Tex Johnston rolled the Dash-80 without ANY problems. And yes, I'm sure that Fat Albert could easily be barrel rolled. But it would probably be difficult to do at low altitude, and within the confines of the show box.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
              But it would probably be difficult to do at low altitude, and within the confines of the show box.
              I've seen a video (really terrible to watch) somewhere of a guy trying something that looked like maybe he was going to attempt a roll in a B-52.. maybe just a steep turn but the end result was not at all pretty and I'm sure many of us have seen the awful result...

What I'd give to have been there that day Tex rolled the original Boeing Jetliner!

They still make guys like Tex??

Skip Holm maybe??

John Penney Maybe??

How many hours to you have to accumulate to be able to do stuff like that as easily as most of us get up and walk across the room??

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I've seen a video (really terrible to watch) somewhere of a guy trying something that looked like maybe he was going to attempt a roll in a B-52.. maybe just a steep turn but the end result was not at all pretty and I'm sure many of us have seen the awful result...
                I remember that day and have seen the vid many, many times. I do not remeber what exactly went wrong, but if memory servs, it was an aileron reversal situation, with too low a speed, and to high a bank. Witch is the same thing that happend to my Grandfather in 49 at Edwards AFB.

Comment

That B52 video is on the same sight with a pretty good explanation of what happened. BTW according to the above site B52s don't have ailerons, just spoilers. Pilot FU big time. had a reputation as a hot shot.
                  Tom

Comment

B-52 G's and H's have 7 segment spoilers (each wing). Hydraulically actuated by control column or autopilot servo inputs. Acting differentialy for roll control or in unison as a braking device.

LtC Holland was a major disciplinary problem and the Wing King got kicked to the curb because of it. He took at least 2 Bird Cols. and another LtC. No junior officer would fly with Holland because he was unsafe, hence the heavy metal aircrew. SA was lost after his first approach was 'waved off'
                    by the Tower and upon establishing his base turn, he exceeded the 60deg
                    bank limit and stalled the inboard wing/engines.
                    All the military 'zipper-suited sun gods'* that frequent here know the meaning of discipline! I still get alligator tears...

*LtGen RV Reynolds
                    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                      If done CORRECTLY, a barrel roll is a 1 g maneuver all the way through, and the aircraft never even 'knows' it is upside down.

The only way a barrel roll puts stress on the plane is if the pilot messes it up. You just have to have enough 'entry speed' to complete the maneuver without slowing down. Its when you slow down that you have to tighten the roll up...and that is how you end up pulling g's.

That's how Tex Johnston rolled the Dash-80 without ANY problems. And yes, I'm sure that Fat Albert could easily be barrel rolled. But it would probably be difficult to do at low altitude, and within the confines of the show box.
                      Am I right in thinking that you flew P-3's? ever roll one of them?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                        Am I right in thinking that you flew P-3's? ever roll one of them?

Jarrod
                        LOL....I valued my flying career too much to even THINK of trying that.

When you start to think that way, you end up doing what that B-52 did at Fairchild AFB, or like one of my brother P-3 pilots did at Pago Pago several years ago where he thought a 'high speed pass' would impress the natives. What he didn't see was the high-tension tram cable wire that cut the tail off the plane, and took 6 other people out with him.

When people start losing respect for the airplane that is when they start being a danger to themselves and others.

Comment

Just to expand on that last post...the pilot of the P-3 at Pago Pago was (like the BUFF pilot at Fairchild) a 'hotshot' that was always playing cowboy, and a lot of people were afraid to fly with him. After pilot's funeral, his father approached the Squadron CO and thanked him for letting his son take him up on the flight a few months before. This was news to the Skipper....it seems that one weekend, hotshot pilot came in to the squadron and sweet-talked the maintenance folks into letting him take one of the planes out for a joyride with his father. You talk about breaking every rule in the book!

The P-3 was in Pago Pago as part of an airshow, and had just dropped 6 parachuters. It was supposed to just come in and land...but the pilot thought he would 'impress' the locals with his high speed pass. He hit the tram wire and it took the tail off, as well as FOD'ing out a couple of the engines when the wire wrapped itself up in the props (see picture). The plane landed in the middle of town, literally missing the main hotel, and crowd of 30,000 spectators that had gathered to watch the performance.

One can only imagine what the fallout would have been if they had hit the hotel, or if the plane had gone into the crowd.

Flying itself is terribly unforgiving. When you lose respect for it you have no business being in the air.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if a P-3 with a cleanly-shorn v-stab would have been controllable, if you took that cable-around-the-props thing out of the equation...
                            _________
                            -Matt
                            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

There WAS a four ship demonstration team unofficially dubbed the Four Horsemen that flew C-130's for several performances. The did formation manuvers mostly but did do a modified bomb burst similiar to the T-Birds low show version.
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X