C-17 Tornado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-17 Tornado

Heres a couple of pictures from WOH airshow of the C-17 Globemaster. It had rained earlier that day and while the C-17 Backtaxied the engines picked up the water in the form of little tornados...It WAS VERY COOL!!
    These pictures were taken from a ways back and it was more impressive the closer you got.
    chris
    Attached Files

Re: C-17 Tornado

I've never heard nor seem anything like that before. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Comment

It was doing that saturday too but again no camera but when it started to back up we got all wet because it had just quit raining .. it was AWESOME
      W.Hughes

Comment

Gives you an idea of how much "stuff" it can pick up off the ground. FOD walks are very important.

We were performing inlet distortion testing on a new inlet several years ago on a very humid/wet day and we got the same "tornado" coming off of the wing into the inlet. I have some videos somewhere of this occurance............pretty cool looking.

Comment

Very cool shots. Thanks for posting them.
          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Wow, that is very cool. Now where's that fire hose?

Jarrod

Comment

Looks like its taking a leak

Comment

Seems to do it only when the engine's in reverse?
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by mailman77327
                  Heres a couple of pictures from WOH airshow of the C-17 Globemaster. It had rained earlier that day and while the C-17 Backtaxied the engines picked up the water in the form of little tornados...It WAS VERY COOL!!
                  These pictures were taken from a ways back and it was more impressive the closer you got.
                  chris

I've seen a smaller version of that vortex outside the window of every 737 I've been in on a humid day (and quite a few 757s as well)... but with the engine that far above the tarmac, its REALLY impressive!!

Comment

Working...
                  X