Glacier Girl Sold???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glacier Girl Sold???

I have heard that "Glacier Girl" may be sold. Hopefully, the new owner will bring it to Reno next year like he did with a TF-51 this year. It would be incredible to see her on the West Coast. I hope this is turns out to be true.

Re: Glacier Girl Sold???

Sounds like you know who got the bird. Would be nice to see a p 38 in Reno... maybe with the Tiger Cat around the pylons.
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Why would the museum sell it? I'm sure most know Steve Hinton is the only one allowed to fly the plane. If it did sell, wonder if that will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye
        I have heard that "Glacier Girl" may be sold. Hopefully, the new owner will bring it to Reno next year like he did with a TF-51 this year. It would be incredible to see her on the West Coast. I hope this is turns out to be true.
        TF-51..............TF-51................hmmmmmmmmmm........Provenance had one there, but they are in the business of selling planes..........hmmmmmmmmmmm.................a good friend had one there, but not sure if he is in a position to purchase a P-38.

I know someone else who really wants a P-38 but he is not on the west coast...........hmmmmmmmmmm.............phone calls are in order.

Gotta be Provenance...........who else?

Comment

I hope it stays stateside!

Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
            I hope it stays stateside!
            I just hope that, whichever side of the Atlantic (or even Pacific) this stunning aircraft ends up on, it goes to an owner who appreciates it and allows it to be FLOWN, just like the previous owner. There are far too many potentially airworthy P-38s languishing in museum collections (or at the top of poles) - in fact, I believe that the Chino example is the only one regularly flown at the moment.

'Glacier Girl' - Sun 'n Fun, April 2005

Comment

Well since we have a P-38 thread going, a while back Air Classics said that Putt-Putt Maru that was kept at the LSFM in Galveston had sold and was going to Florida. Does anyone know if it's going to get flown, or on public display or what??? thanks

Comment

It went to Tom Blair, who has also bought some Spitfires, a Hurricane and a Buchon in the UK, as well as, reportedly, a Bearcat project.

I've not heard anything about this P-38 since Hinton ferried it to Florida earlier this year.

Comment

There was talk that the Blair P-38 (ex-LSFM) was to be used in the Heritage Flight program so presumably it will be flown.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich
                    There was talk that the Blair P-38 (ex-LSFM) was to be used in the Heritage Flight program so presumably it will be flown.
                    That "Glacier Girl" is breathtakinly awesome.
                    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Looking around on the web I found another board,, http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...d.php?p=919255 , it talks quit a bit about Glacier Girl,, and some other planes, I thought it was very interesting,, take a look.

Comment

I found 39 topics under Glacier Girl there....thanks a lot !

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tex-fan
                          Looking around on the web I found another board,, http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...d.php?p=919255 , it talks quit a bit about Glacier Girl,, and some other planes, I thought it was very interesting,, take a look.

OPPS, I meant Putt-Putt Maru, I had used this thread to ask about another P-38. Sorry.
                          Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                            I doubt the museum will sale the plane. It is the "Crown Jewel" of Middlesboro! I also doubt the pilot would change if it did sale. My understanding was that Hinton was picked by Lloyds of London, not by the museum.
                            As I understand it, the aircraft is owned by the estate of the late Roy Shoffner, not by the museum. Presumably a sale would be prompted by the heirs to the estate wanting to realise their asset. As to who the pilot may be after any possible sale, I'm sure that any future owner might have a say in the matter......

Comment

Interesting to note that Glacier Girl, after having been grounded all season, was due to depart Middlesboro this weekend for participation in next weekend's Nellis airshow.

Comment

Working...
                              X