After burner exhibition race????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After burner exhibition race????

This was my thought. Lets get Steve Hinton to bring the POF F-86 out. Have Skip Holm go get the SAAB Draken he did the performance demonstration a few years back at Reno in. Hook up Randy Haskin with someone who owns one of the civilian owned T-38s. Ask John Penny to grab a F-100. Call up the Starfighters Team from Tarpon Springs, FL and get them to bring one of their F-104s. See if Hoot Gibson can bum a Mig-21 ofF somebody. Call The Collings Foundation's to bring up their F-4D. Get Randy Ball off the air show circuit to bring up his Mig-17. In other words, any jet with an after burner. THEN put them on the course at Reno and tell them to have a ball. Who wouuld win? Who cares!! It would be a blast to watch!!!!

Why would the owners of the planes do this??? Lets see.
    1. For the money?? nope, it would cost a LOT of fuel to do this

2. For the glory?? nope, the folks here on this message board, and few people at Reno would probably be the only ones to hear about it

3. For the fun?? THAT'S IT!! For the fun of it!!

Now this is just a dream, but,, WHO'S WITH ME?

Re: After burner exhibition race????

F-104s on the course.....Oh, the humanity!

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
      F-104s on the course.....Oh, the humanity!
      Don't you mean F-104s doing all they can just to stay on the course. Maybe instead of amking the turn on the front stretch they would go behind the mountain and re enter the course down the chute on each lap.

Comment

Me flying out on the course with Skip, Steve, and JC Penney?

Two words: HEEEEEEEELLLLLLL YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH!

Count me in.

Comment

IIRC, the only F-86's with burners were the D models.

Sorry, didn't mean to piss on the fire.

Comment

im thinking one of them whould go thru the sound barrier
            this whould make trouble but really fun!!!
            www.renosection3.com

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
              Don't you mean F-104s doing all they can just to stay on the course. Maybe instead of amking the turn on the front stretch they would go behind the mountain and re enter the course down the chute on each lap.
              According to the wings history channel the F104 can turn and burn with the best of them, just has no payload or fuel capabilities.
              Tom

Comment

Maybe Ron H. will chime in with some perspective... My bro had dinner with a USAF General (Ret) who said that the F-14 could wax a -15 if they got below 300 kts in ACM and the wings came out on the -14.
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

OK Randy's in. but did I mention you will have to go and get the T-38 own your own? I figure all you'll need to do is call one of the museums with a T-38 on display, and explain the benefits of loaning you their T-38 and letting you burn thousands of dollars of jet fuel as opposed to letting it just sit in their museum for free. Or you'll find a few for sale on www.controller.com, maybe one of those guys would like to spend the cash for you to take it to Reno so you could hang a for sale sign on it while it sits in the pits.

fenceliner01, pointed out that only D model F-86s have after burners, so hey Steve Hinton, that only gives you about 10 months to make a SLIGHT modification to the POF f-86 and add an after burner to it. [that won't be a problem will it ]

I figure the other pilots are getting their planes lined out, and I know Randy's on the phone by now. So maybe we have a 1% maybe even 2% chance of seeing this happen.

So lets all work hard, call anybody [check that] everybody you know, and lets do this.

Comment

Oh man this would be on hell of a race! One I would want to be out on the fence line for for sure!

I remember the first jet race that was a demo in Reno. They had them things turning and burnning all the way around the course.

Then they brought in the L39s Talk about a let down.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee
                      Oh man this would be on hell of a race! One I would want to be out on the fence line for for sure!

I remember the first jet race that was a demo in Reno. They had them things turning and burnning all the way around the course.

Then they brought in the L39s Talk about a let down.
                      That was great. I watched that and I don't think anyone cared who won, It was just fun to watch. Heard about the jet class coming the next year, got excited, then got let down.

Jarrod

Comment

The first demo race was good. If memory serves, Jimmy Leeward was in a MiG, Steve Hinton flew the T-33, there were the 2 Stoli MiGs and I want to say there was 1 more jet. It was really cool to see the MiGs "light the candle" around the sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastFan
                          The first demo race was good. If memory serves, Jimmy Leeward was in a MiG, Steve Hinton flew the T-33, there were the 2 Stoli MiGs and I want to say there was 1 more jet. It was really cool to see the MiGs "light the candle" around the sticks.
                          I think it may have been an L-39

Jarrod

Comment

think it may have been an L-39
                            I am almost positive it wasnt an L-39. If memory servs, it was another mig. There was 3 differant migs in the demo race for a total of 4.

I'm not up to snuff on my Migs, to tell em all apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
                              im thinking one of them whould go thru the sound barrier
                              this whould make trouble but really fun!!!
                              Well all we would have to do is call the FAA and tell them there are some thunder storms in and around Reno [that just happened to be the day of the races ] so if anybody hears anything funny or strange, that it was just a clap of thunder.

Work with me guys, we can do this.

Comment

Working...
                              X