MERLIN'S MAGIC SCRAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MERLIN'S MAGIC SCRAP

Just thinking out loud, but it seems there will be many hundreds of square inches of scrap aluminum skin after the repair of P-51D racer #22 Merlin's Magic. I'd think the crew could sell 1" or 2" squares of this aluminum skin (easy to mail), maybe initialed by Stu with a sharpie, and mail them with a 5 cents per copy "Official Eberhardt Family Thanks You For Your Contribution" 3" x 5" certicficate of authenticity to race fans wanting to see #22 in the Stead skies again. I'd send a $20 bill or more for the cause, to hang a little chunk of this veteran racer on my race wall!

MM would get some funds, we all could begin or add to our "piece of a real Reno racer collection' and all would be happy!

Am I the only one that would jump on board here?

Lowell Thompson

Re: MERLIN'S MAGIC SCRAP

i would like that,sad to say.i was lucky to ride in MM with Stu
    at the stick and it would go well with my certificate of flight.
    Ric...

Comment

I would jump as well. but I wouldnt want a 1"x1" square.

I would want a piece thats like 2' x 3'. You know something that stands out and says. I was the skin of a P51 Mustang / racer.

Have the team sign it, pics, and stuff...

Ok back to reality.

I would think...... (and this is just a guess) that they would get more for the aluminum as scrap then they could as selling it in pieces.

Dont get me wrong. To sell it in pieces could generate alot of monitary funds. but you better have 90% sold before hand. As this is NOT guanteed money.

Selling it in whole as scrap metel is 100% guarnteed money.

just my thoughts.

Comment

Let's see....

At $20 donation for a square inch, a 2 x3 foot panel would be 864 square inches, or $17,280. That would be some souvenir!

Comment

If the MM team were to do that - I'd buy a piece of the plane to hang on my wall. I completely understand the logic of the scrap though.
          Mike S
          www.indyairshow.com
          www.indytransponder.com

Comment

Have a piece of MM! That would look great next to my picture of me in MM at the 1998 Reno Races. Stu was nice enough to let me sit in the cockpit on Saturday morning before the races (don't touch ANY switches!) and spent 30 minutes telling me all about the plane and racing at Reno. It is safe to say that I am a huge fan for life! Stu did not have to take the time that he did, but he did anyways. YES I would like a small piece of MM and would like even more to see it back in the air!

P.S. I check this website all the time and tried to register but got no response. Help anybody?

Randy
            Crew Member of Race 37 Tinkertoy in 1998 and 1999

Admin Note: What username did you use? I can look it up and see what happened. The board sends a verification email with a link you have to click on... maybe your spam filter trapped it? Anyway.. post the username you tried to reg under and I'll look into it.

Comment

Misc Alum scrap goes for 75 cents a pound.
              Not very much for scrap, much more a collectable memory.

Comment

Be kinda cool in a frame with the piece, the certificate, a shot of MM in flight and a shot of the pit accident.
                I'd buy.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Excellent ideas. The rebuild is coming along well and on schedule, however extremely costly. The entire fuselage aft of the cockpit will be new. The forward lower longerons had to be replaced due to corrosion. This is a huge project. Gerry Beck's shop (Tri State Aviation in Wahpaton, ND) has done a beautiful job. The fuselage should be ready for shipment back to Minden, NV next week. I'm not exactly sure of the reassembly schedule. I would guess Merlin's Magic will fly by 1 Dec. Thanks to all for the encouraging support.

Bill Eberhardt
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mm2; 10-18-2006, 11:08 AM. Reason: attempting to attach photos

Comment

Originally posted by mm2
                    Excellent ideas. The rebuild is coming along well and on schedule, however extremely costly. The entire fuselage aft of the cockpit will be new. The forward lower longerons had to be replaced due to corrosion. This is a huge project. Gerry Beck's shop (Tri State Aviation in Wahpaton, ND) has done a beautiful job. The fuselage should be ready for shipment back to Minden, NV next week. I'm not exactly sure of the reassembly schedule. I would guess Merlin's Magic will fly by 1 Dec. Thanks to all for the encouraging support.

Bill Eberhardt
                    Thanks for the update Bill.Glad to here that MM will be flying again.I saw MM depart hollister with the race motor before race week.Very nice I was in the pits when the thing blew.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2

Bill Eberhardt
                      So.....we can expect it to be a full Strega/Dago/Voodoo race mod rebuild, right Bill?

Comment

dec 1???????? OMG THATS AWESOME!!!!!
                        www.renosection3.com

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
                          dec 1???????? OMG THATS AWESOME!!!!!
                          Gerry Beck and Co certainly do have skills. Like building a P-51A from scratch.

"You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills..."

Comment

maybe the pit accident was a good thing.....if the corrosion was bad enough to replace structural components. I was there in "99" I saw what can happen when there is a failure.

sure am glad to see MM will fly again SOON

Where can I send my donation .....souviner or not......

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                              Chicks dig guys with skills!

;-)
                              If I cup my hand under my armpit, I can play "Ta rah rah Boom De ay"!!

Now, THAT takes some skill!

Race 29
                              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Working...
                              X