Inflatable pylons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inflatable pylons

Has there been any thought of using inflatable pylons as used by the Red Bull series at Reno. I would have thought these would have been much safer and might also improve the times as pilots could cut in closer with out the danger of catching a wing tip.

Also would be good for the spectators in the rare cases when a pylon does get clipped.

Re: Inflatable pylons

I wonder how well would such a pylon do in high winds? It can blow pretty strong out there sometimes.

Comment

Hello to everyone
      Inflatable pylons are for sissies, plus it would stop the race when the pylon disappears.
      Second thought; at the speed REAL racers fly, attaching 100 or so feet of sail cloth to the wing would probably cause more crashes than "tapping" a pylon.

Comment

IMHO- The Red Bull "pylons" are really more gates. The precision required for a race coarse, requires fixed reference points, not something that billows.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by number17fan
          Hello to everyone
          Inflatable pylons are for sissies, plus it would stop the race when the pylon disappears.
          Second thought; at the speed REAL racers fly, attaching 100 or so feet of sail cloth to the wing would probably cause more crashes than "tapping" a pylon.
          What he said.
          _________
          -Matt
          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

How many times have racers hit the pylons at Reno? Touching a pylon, aside from the inherent danger, means that the pilot has cut the pylon, or will be penalized for flying too low. Both mean penalty time and the race, if you're the lead dog.
            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
              How many times have racers hit the pylons at Reno?

Marlin Washburn could speak to that....if he had survived his encounter with the #1 T-6 pylon.

Comment

Marlin Washburn could speak to that....
                I think that's the only time anyone has crashed due to a collision with one, am I right?
                Seems to me that the inflateables billowing in the wind would cause MORE collissions, as some of these guys (and gals) cut it close and it would be hard to do that with a moving target!
                I would'nt want to try to fly with that cloth wrapped around one of my wings fouling an aileron and possibly the tail feathers.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

At Hamilton back in '88, the pylons out over the water were tethered balloons...and as I recall, they had all sorts of troubles with them blowing/shifting in the wind. Makes you want to fly a bit higher and wider.

Comment

I remember those!
                    I wondered how safe it was having the course over the bay, and how the pilots felt about it.
                    Any out there to comment?
                    It was also odd to have them come down the front "straightaway" at an angle toward the crowd, with pylon in front of us.
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

there was a guy in a t-6 that hit a pylon...nothing more than a dent in the wing (thank god)
                      www.renosection3.com

Comment

I know there have been several "scrapes" (was'nt it Steve Dilda that left paint on one a couple years ago?) but Marlin Washburn's was a solid hit that took a wing off.
                        If I remember right he was a "professional race pilot" that was racing in all the classes until his death.
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

The Red Bull pylons have been designed so that when an aircraft hits them they do not wrap but instead are cut. I am sure a lot of work has gone into their design with most of the potential problems identified and allowed for.

Even if it will only save one life I would think it would be wrong to use solid pylons if a solution exists.

I would not want that on my conscience

Comment

I think you're solving a problem that doesn't exist. Solid objects, like the ground, powerlines, buildings, etc, have always presented a problem to certain pilots... you can't eliminate all risk.
                            I don't think people would want to watch NERF airplanes, racing.
                            Seriously, moving pylons would be more a hazard to a gaggle of aircraft, then solid ones are.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                              I think you're solving a problem that doesn't exist. Solid objects, like the ground, powerlines, buildings, etc, have always presented a problem to certain pilots... you can't eliminate all risk.
                              I don't think people would want to watch NERF airplanes, racing.
                              Seriously, moving pylons would be more a hazard to a gaggle of aircraft, then solid ones are.

Paul
                              What he said
                              _________
                              -Matt
                              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
                              X