T-mustang Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-mustang Q

I seem to remember someone saying that the superchargers were root type.(lost the thread)

this confuses me,how did it continue to run with no intake air?
    (a true roots blower is positive displacement)

how about some help to settle an already confused mind?

Great showing from John & crew !
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher

Re: T-mustang Q

I believe they are centrifugal blowers, not roots.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
      I believe they are centrifugal blowers, not roots.
      On a roots blower if you just loose the belt, and don't have a seizure, then the blower will actually be spun by the suction of the vacuum operating from the engine itself. Obviously at this point the blower is no longer "Helping" but "hindering" the process of making more horsepower. The blower acting as a restriction will pull the power down. On supercharged street cars we have been able to limp home after shredding a blower belt on an 8-71 equipped Big Block.

The next question then becomes; So if they were down on Horsepower because of the blower malfunctioning and down further because of the airflow restriction of the now dead weight blower. How much is there in the box
      John Slack

Comment

Blue Thunder is running Rotrex superchargers.
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

Looking at their website, they are a centrifugal blower and their tech section mentions a ramp/roller internal drive so same effect the blower just impedes flow but does not stop it.
          John Slack

Comment

On Saturday when things were going well we finished the race at an average of 370 mph (fastest ever for Sports) with our fastest lap at 378 mph. On Sunday, the belt broke on the 4th lap and John stayed in it. We finished with an average of 350 mph and our non-supercharged laps after the belt failure were around 300 mph. We are very fortunate that the everything works so well after a belt failure. John has a year to figure everything out and see what she'll do without the gremlins weighing her down.

So just what will she do? We don't know. John was doing only what he had to do to stay in front. On Thurs he cut a pylon, finished 1st but was bumped to second. On Fri, 33 pulled out and we cruised to 1st. On Sat, we worked it and set a record. On Sun, John saw Rod's cut and wanted to stay no more than 12 seconds behind, but the belt broke and made that no longer possible.

Another one slips by us and we will be back next year. I keep saying that I will write up our week because it really was a great week. Damn real job gets in the way.

Thank you for your interest!
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

.....centrifigal huffers make sense....

........yep I've finished a run with a 14-71 sans belt,
              damn there fluid locked the engine from lack of air !
              (dual injector pumps deliver WAY to much fuel !)

guess you were lucky to get it home
              (carb on it ?)
              Mayday51
              Jim Gallagher

Comment

....oops !

....after visiting the Rotrex site, I find it is not a centrififugal,rather a "modified "vane" type...

....still much easier to "windmill" than a roots blower..
                Last edited by mayday51; 10-17-2006, 09:43 AM. Reason: sp
                Mayday51
                Jim Gallagher

Comment

When I visit the site they call them a centrifugal supercharger in the first paragraph, and the impeller in the picture looks like a centrifugal one. Maybe we looked at different sites?
                  John Slack

Comment

Working...
                  X