KC 99 in lancaster CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KC 99 in lancaster CA.

Does anyone know if the kc99 is still there they sold it to I forget who and they were going to make a strato liner out of it or was it a fire bomber ??

Re: KC 99 in lancaster CA.

Are you talking about the XC-99?

Or are you talking about a KC-97 -- the one at Fox Field near Lancaster, CA? That appears to still be at Fox as of 2005...

This site tracks the history of all Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter/Stratotankers that survived military service.

Seen at Lancaster Fox Field, now thats what call bird house!!! - Photo taken at Lancaster - General William J Fox (WJF) in California, USA on February 14, 2004.

The C-97 family certainly has 'presence' even though she was designed over half a century ago. This KC-97G impresses at Fox Field, Lancaster CA in late 2002. - Photo taken at Lancaster - General William J Fox (WJF) in California, USA on October 23, 2002.

Comment

Yeha my foul up ment the 97 at fox field were is the 99 located ??I see the 102 is still next to it thought it had been sold also??wounder if they still have all 4 or 5 R3350s laying in the back

Comment

Originally posted by h34race
        Yeha my foul up ment the 97 at fox field were is the 99 located ??I see the 102 is still next to it thought it had been sold also??wounder if they still have all 4 or 5 R3350s laying in the back
        Its been about 12 years since I've seen it, but the XC-99 used to be pushed out into the weeds at Kelly AFB in San Antonio, TX, adjacent to the training base at Lackland AFB.

I think I can remember something about the airframe being moved to General Dynamics in Dallas to undergo some kind of restoration??? Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          Its been about 12 years since I've seen it, but the XC-99 used to be pushed out into the weeds at Kelly AFB in San Antonio, TX, adjacent to the training base at Lackland AFB.

I think I can remember something about the airframe being moved to General Dynamics in Dallas to undergo some kind of restoration??? Anyone?
          The 99 is no longer in the weeds. No longer on the base as a whole from what I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by King
            The 99 is no longer in the weeds. No longer on the base as a whole from what I hear.
            It was moved to Dayton last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
              It was moved to Dayton last year.
              I wanna say I heard something about it going to Ohio to be restored and displayed in the Air Force museum... but I could be wrong
              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
              My Photos
              My Ride

Comment

There use to be 3 KC 97's at Stockton years ago. They were to be converted into fire tankers. I saw one of them actually fly out, not sure where it ended up. One was left there for several years, then I understand it was dismanteld and hauled out by truck. Not sure where it ended up either.........does anyone know?? Thanks
                Brian

Comment

The photo I posted at the beginning of this thread is one that I took of the XC-99 in December '05 at Kelly (Lackland) AFB. The NMUSAF is in the process of taking it apart and moving it to Dayton.

Comment

The '97 was involved in litigation, so, it won't be leaving Lancaster anytime soon.(posession is 9/10ths...)
                    Most of the 3350's are gone. There's a couple of carriers still laying around. A complete 4360 is under the 119K's wing.

Comment

Wow, this thread got my memory banks going. When I was in Basic at Lackland AFB in Jan. 1957, I was lucky enough to see the XC-99 flying out of Kelly AFB a few times. The sound was awesome, like it's cousin the B-36. A vibrating hum like nothing else. I noticed that it never seemed to return with all six turning. And at Plattsburg AFB with the 380th BW as a B-47 mech. I saw plenty of KC-97s. I enjoyed watching them perform but was not envious of the guys who had to maintain them. They used a lot of oil wipes for sure. They made a fine noise though. Glad to see that the XC-99 is going to Dayton, and thanks for posting the pix.

Grumpy

Comment

The KC-97 is currently caught up in a lawsuit. At some point, someone bought the boom and pod from it, because of the Stratoliner conversion.
                        Since posession is 9/10ths of the law, the museum aquired the replacement boom and pod kit and were planning on a 'military' resto. As it stands, it will stay at Fox Field. The 'Deuce' got taken to Edwards were it will complete the "Century Circle". It's being static resto'd.
                        Most of the 3350's are gone. There's a complete 4360, though...
                        Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Here's a photo of it that my Father took at the Philadelphia Air Show in 1955
                          Attached Files
                          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Your dad was an alien in his day too it appears. But not enough evidence quite yet to reopen Project Blue Book. Now if you dig up an old Kodachrome of an XC-99 banking around a pylon we WILL be sending the MIB your way in a hurry!

Comment

I sure would like to see one of those fly. When I get rich I will buy and restore one for you guys.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                              X