X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT:One for Peas..

This was in a Hanger at WJF.....
    Attached Files
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Re: OT:One for Peas..

Originally posted by SpinB
    This was in a Hanger at WJF.....
    OMG! The road to hell is paved with good intentions. (And good ideas.)

Rutan estimated the Long EZ build time between 1,200 and 2,000 hrs, while the twin engine Defiant was 2,500 - 3,000. That second engine adds a LOT of complexity.

The plane in the photo looks like a modified Cozy. I sure hope this guy knew how to resize the wing and canard for the vastly different loading of a twin. The Defiant is a whole new airframe with nothing in common with the EZs, save perhaps the materials used. 'Course, this one looks like an abandonded project. Perhaps for the better!
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

The guy said it was a 'Gemini'? The only one, so far. (I would suspect for a good reason...) Whatever....it's been in gestation for a long time is all I know...
      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Gemini was designed and built by Dave Ganzer(sp). The story goes that Dave built the plane, and took it to Mojave to show Mr. Rutan, as his resume. He was hired to work at Scaled. It was built and flown in the 80s' with VW engines. The project was sold to Don Moses (Earthwinds balloon project) who lives in Hi. The project was/is being fitted with Continental 0200 engines. The mod began in the late 80's, with little if no work until very recently. The exhaust you see there was designed and sized by the engine guru from Nemesis, Jack Wells (now building engines for Dale Earnhardt Sr.)..., and built by the same guy that built the original Nemesis exhaust system.

Comment

Working...
        X