N335J - From the Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N335J - From the Archives

Last edited by Victor Archer; 10-13-2006, 08:45 AM. Reason: Although I have permission from the owner of the slides to use them the original photographer is unknown, because of copyright rules I feel it is best not to post them, sorry.
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Re: N335J - From the Archives

very nice Victor

do you have any good pics of that red one behind N335J? It's my favorite.

Comment

Very nice Victor.

Got any of my own personal favourite, N6340T 'Candyman' (Race #7) please?

Raced at Reno in 1974 and 1975, I believe.

Comment

Now that is a cool picture.

Comment

And yet another rarity in that pic -- a Tri-Champ off the nose of 335J! Good idea, make the Champ heavier and slower!

Hey Victor, was the original shot a large format slide? And/or how did you scan it? It's an amazingly sharp repro. (Or is it secrect alien tech? )
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Victor,
            Around the time the original picture was taken Lyle Shelton flew the Red "STP Special" airplane in Ellis's funeral flight. Lyle used to have a pretty good picture of that event that has gotten away from his collection. Do you happen to have any pictures of that event? feel free to PM if you wish.
            John Slack

Comment

Okay, I don't recognize the red Mustang in the background, must have been before my first Reno in 1979. Whose plane, still flying, etc??? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by KB Adkins
                Okay, I don't recognize the red Mustang in the background, must have been before my first Reno in 1979. Whose plane, still flying, etc??? Thanks!

That's E.D. Weiner's cross country racer. It was Bardahl II in 1968, but picked up STP as the sponsor for '69 (hence the red, Andy Granitelli paint scheme). Unfortunately, E.D. was having some serious health problems around Reno time, and he withdrew from the Trans-con race that year, so it never raced in that configuration. During the first heat race at Reno that week, he had a heart attack and pulled out. Died the following week in a Reno hospital.

Comment

BTW- Pictures of the red Mustang can be found in the Bardahl thread on Goss's second link (for N335).

Comment

Thanks for the info. guys, that plane sure looked sharp with the red paint and cut canopy

Comment

John, I have a picture of N335J with the camera mounted on the nose for the memorial flight.......

I believe Clay Lacy flew the #49 airplane and Fred Koehler released Ellis's ashes?

Interesting in the pictures of #14 with the STP paint scheme- you can still see the checkerboard paint scheme thru the red! RG

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership
                      Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                      RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Superb photos Victor, thanks for posting them.

Jarrod

Comment

Without doubt the yellow/black is my favourite P-51 race scheme. Thanks for posting. I visited Frederick Kohler's hangar in Mesa back in 1993 when the N335 (in the white/black checkerboard colors) lay dismantled inside. On a shelf next to it was the old cut down canopy, still in the red STP colors. Wish I could have seen the pair fly!

T J

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                            Victor,
                            Around the time the original picture was taken Lyle Shelton flew the Red "STP Special" airplane in Ellis's funeral flight. Lyle used to have a pretty good picture of that event that has gotten away from his collection. Do you happen to have any pictures of that event? feel free to PM if you wish.
                            John, These are just random slides from a private collection. I don't think he has any pictures from that event but I'll ask.
                            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                              John, These are just random slides from a private collection. I don't think he has any pictures from that event but I'll ask.
                              Victor,
                              Thank you, Just trying to chase a couple of images down for the "wall"
                              John Slack

Comment

Working...
                              X