Navy pilots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy pilots

To get my son excused from school for three days, so he could help my wife and myself at the races, he was supposed to submit a paper to the school relating his trip to something educational. He was going to try and talk to a couple of Navy pilots (my son is in the NJRROTC at his high school) about their experiences, but things got so crazy that we never got around to doing it. Are their some current or retired Navy pilots lurking out there that could help my son out with a couple of e-mail question and answer sessions? There might be some free t-shirts in it for you. Thanks, Chuck

Re: Navy pilots

Originally posted by chuck
    To get my son excused from school for three days, so he could help my wife and myself at the races, he was supposed to submit a paper to the school relating his trip to something educational. He was going to try and talk to a couple of Navy pilots (my son is in the NJRROTC at his high school) about their experiences, but things got so crazy that we never got around to doing it. Are their some current or retired Navy pilots lurking out there that could help my son out with a couple of e-mail question and answer sessions? There might be some free t-shirts in it for you. Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck, Ron's a retired F-14 backseater... Speeddemon is a retired P-3 left seater...

Should be able to pry something out of them..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
      Chuck, Ron's a retired F-14 backseater... Speeddemon is a retired P-3 left seater...

Should be able to pry something out of them..

Wayne
      What's interesting about that, Wayne, is that the PPC (Patrol Plane Commander...usually the senior pilot on the crew) normally sits in the right seat. Bass ackwards from the way the bus lines operate, but it normally allows the newer pilots to gain the experience from flying in the left seat. Go figure.

Comment

Ron's a retired F-14 backseater...
        An F-14 has two seats, but, only one pilot. The backseater is called a RIO or Radar Intercept Officer. On, the A model the RIO operated the AWG-9 radar system. Since, the backset has no flight controls, the only time a RIO would become a flier is when he pulled eject handle.

Warren
        ex F-14A plane Captain

Comment

Originally posted by Warren_C
          An F-14 has two seats, but, only one pilot. The backseater is called a RIO or Radar Intercept Officer. On, the A model the RIO operated the AWG-9 radar system. Since, the backset has no flight controls, the only time a RIO would become a flier is when he pulled eject handle.

Warren
          ex F-14A plane Captain
          Yup... knew that.. why I didn't say back seat "pilot"...

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yup... knew that.. why I didn't say back seat "pilot"...

It's all good . . . as of today, there are only ex-RIOs . . . the last VF-31 Tomcat (the pencil) was delivered to a museum (can't remember the name) at the Republic Airport in Farmingdale, New York.

You must admit, WSO just doesn't sound as cool . . . .

Lol @ the NFO comment . . . never heard that one
            --Amy

-Tomcats and Red Mustangs Forever-

Comment

Then there is the classic job decsription from the Blue Thunder movie

JAFO

Speaking of hauling NFOs around. We use to call the EA-6B the family truckster, if two is good, then four must be better. That a/c was so ugly, even the mechanics donned paper bags.

Comment

Hey now! I spent 4 years working on Grumans "Family Wagon"...never wore a paper bag once!

Our beloved pigs were also the loudest things on the flightdeck at hi-power......15 feet from the tail pipes playing "turn saftey" did wonders for my hearing....even with foamies AND mouse ears. <That's all we had>

I actually lost a filling from the vibration one night

Then there's that time at Fallon when we lost 4 feet of wing and a POD.....That pilot earned his pay that day....
                Rob
                Merlins are cool
                But Radials rule!
                And jets just make noise

Comment

Proof positive if you put enough.....stones....to it, a Brick with a Speedbrake can fly!!!
                  Thing is, they could kill ALL the TV reception on the West Coast.....
                  THAT is cool....
                  Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by 64chrysler300
                    Hey now! I spent 4 years working on Grumans "Family Wagon"...never wore a paper bag once!
                    Fellow navy bro, just givin Grumman's ugly little duckling some grief. We all know that it has the capability to knock out city lights, but, is that a war fighting capability or so the pilot can sneak in under darkness and change his prowler patch for a tomcat patch prior to hitting the "O" club. (really running and ducking, now) Its got a tailhook so its all good. I can't believe that I am admitting this publicly, for a time I even worked on the A-6E Tram and liked it.

For the non-mil folks out there the above hazing is done in fun, by an old fat been there done that ex-navy mechanic. They use to call use engine guys nose pickers, don't know why (typing with one hand).

Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Warren_C
                      For the non-mil folks out there the above hazing is done in fun, by an old fat been there done that ex-navy mechanic.

You're not old, Warren.....

NOW who is ducking and running?

Comment

We still do! I give the nose pickers, BB stackers, tweeters, tin bangers, Bubble Chasers <Me! Retired AMH1>, Seat Sniffers, Panty Sniffers, Lay-Zee's, One-Wires, Two-Wires a ration of good natured greif every chance I get. Even though I retired 3 years ago, I still work in the same hanger and see many of the same faces every night.

And yes, the Phabulous Phantom proved once and for all that if you put enough thrust behind something....even bricks can fly

Same goes for the Prowler.
                        Rob
                        Merlins are cool
                        But Radials rule!
                        And jets just make noise

Comment

Working...
                        X