Distance races for Sport and Unlimited Classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance races for Sport and Unlimited Classes

So just a question to test the waters from fans, observers, and participants.....

Would there be any interest in bringing back some of the long-distance races like what Mojave and San Diego had back in the early '70's? If there was a venue that had the space to support such races, would anyone want to participate?

I could envision a single-day event that would be easy on the airshow, but heavy on the racing.....say a 400 or 500 mile race for the Sport Class, followed by a 1000 mile race for the Unlimiteds. That would take up a day's worth of stuff. Or, you could break up the program and run Sports on Saturday, Unlimiteds on Sunday, and such.

It would certainly take some re-thinking of strategies for some of the 'super Unlimiteds'...in that you can't push all out for 1000 miles like they do at Reno.

But if you get 20 Unlimiteds and 25 Sport Class all out on the course at the same time, is there enough to hold anyone's interest?

Thoughts?

Re: Distance races for Sport and Unlimited Classes

I'd go. I don't get all that excited about airshow stuff anymore. Just give me racing and I'm good to go.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Is this a question just for the heck of it or is there some thought as to actually make an endurance race happen? I would be for it.
      What about all the wear on all the planes. The sport class might handle it but I think that at least half of the Unlimited field, if not more would drop out by the end. A lot of fuel would definitely be burned.

Jarrod

Comment

I don't get it. Are you proposing an out and back race or point to point? Where will the spectators be? Where's the action?
        Tom

Comment

I would certainly go, especially if there was an unlimited race. I've seen some video of the old Mojave 1000 (I think it was part of a movie called "Sky High") and it was pretty cool to see the different types of planes and the various race strategies employed. And since there was refueling involved, there was action in the pits..pretty cool.
          Mark Johnson
          Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
            I don't get it. Are you proposing an out and back race or point to point? Where will the spectators be? Where's the action?
            Tom
            Nope. At Mojave, it was a 15 mile pylon course. The planes did 66 laps. Most planes had to make at least one refuelling stop. About half a dozen were able to go non-stop due to size, internal capacity, etc. It introduces planning and strategy into the mix, instead of just going balz-out for 7 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
              About half a dozen were able to go non-stop due to size, internal capacity, etc.
              Yeah, like that DC-3 that Clay Lacy raced...what was it called? "Super Snoopy"?

Now THAT is something I'd pay to see go around the pylons..
              Mark Johnson
              Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Nope. At Mojave, it was a 15 mile pylon course. The planes did 66 laps. Most planes had to make at least one refuelling stop. About half a dozen were able to go non-stop due to size, internal capacity, etc. It introduces planning and strategy into the mix, instead of just going balz-out for 7 minutes.

This is the kind of rsing I would bring 8 NXT's to. Pilot, planning, endurance!!!!!
                http://www.kevineldredge.com
                http://www.myairport.com
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
                  Yeah, like that DC-3 that Clay Lacy raced...what was it called? "Super Snoopy"?

Now THAT is something I'd pay to see go around the pylons..
                  I think it was a DC-6.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                    I think it was a DC-6.

Jarrod
                    DC-7B

Comment

Originally posted by Relentless
                      This is the kind of rsing I would bring 8 NXT's to. Pilot, planning, endurance!!!!!
                      Okay...got my first race pilot to buy off on it! :-)

I know that several years ago on this site, Wayne and/or Mark did an interview with Kerch where he said that he would like to see something like the Sports Class (which had yet to be developed, I think) do some sort of distance race. Wayne...got that thing archived anywhere?

Comment

For the last 3 years I have raced in the AirVenture Cup, 410 nm from Dayton, OH to OSH. Also, for the last 10 years I have raced in the Colorado Pilot Assn. Denver to Jackpot, NV (450 nm) race in various aircraft.

As a pilot I just love these races (don't get me wrong, I come to Reno every September too, just to watch). There is so much going on...weather, fuel endurance, engine endurance, winds aloft. It is great!

Will you let a couple lowly RVs in too?

John

Comment

I want to see a race like this at Grant County International/Moses Lake in Central Washington. Twin 13,000 foot runways, TWO ramps where you could set up grandstand viewing at 90 degrees to each other...and miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. Former SAC base (Larsen AFB), test facility for Boeing and JAL, and a decent size town with many hotels and such.

You could set up a 15 mile course for Unlimiteds (66 laps) and a 10 mile course for the Sport Class (50 laps).

Just dreaming...but it might be something 'different' as an alternative to what is going on at Reno.

<www.portofmoseslake.com>

<www.airnav.com/airport/MWH>

Hacker and Air Race Addict have been there before. I was there this weekend and spent many a year shooting touch and goes there in the P-3 as well.

Comment

I did see Super Snoopy fly around the pylons that day....as a kid it made a lasting impression lemme tell ya!

You got my vote for an endurance race...especially if it's at Mojave! that's like, 30 minutes away for me

I'd say one mandatory pit stop, regardless of aircraft size and fuel capacity. Kinda levels the playing field a bit if everybody's gotta stop at least once.
                            Rob
                            Merlins are cool
                            But Radials rule!
                            And jets just make noise

Comment

Wayne...got that thing archived anywhere?
                              Yes, thanks for the reminder that I need to remake the site BIG TIME!

Reno Air Races :Interview with 30 year Reno veteran race team crew chief, Bill Kerchenfaut, of Team Strega.

It *should* be archived within the search feature on the main part of the site, but it's not.

Pretty good on-site search program but I need to figure it out a bit better I think.

For one, every time I add/change something, I need to re-run it.

Anyway...

Also reminds me of why I got into this in the first place. God, how far adrift I've had to go over the years!

Going to Reno is still fun but it's not the same. I spent this year in an absolute tizzy trying to meet committments. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely THRILLED at the doors that have opened for me and I'm doing my best to be "all that I can be" within those doors...

But...

I gotta get back to talking with the players! Stirring the pot, stoking the fires!

I hate transcribing interviews, one of the reasons I don't do them too often anymore (ever??) but I have tossed about the idea of podcasts...

Trouble is, I would need to find a sponsor for doing something like that..

Something along the lines of "WARBIRD TALK RADIO... Brought to you by....."

LOL... any takers??

I seriously should talk with Bob Cannon about something like this...

Anyway, we return you to your normally scheduled programming........

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X