Trans FL & Cavalier Aviation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans FL & Cavalier Aviation ?

Sorry not exactly an air race related question, but given the knowledge of some of the folks here maybe someone can help ...

Was there ever a logo or badge design for either Trans Florida or Cavalier Aviation ? That did work in regards to COIN and Mustangs ?

RJ
    " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Re: Trans FL & Cavalier Aviation ?

Oh, I think Hacker could shed some light on this for you....

Comment

Wonderful ! Will be waiting for the input indeed

RJ

PS: Out there somewhere is a patch for the PA-48 as well ... I have seen it ONCE ..!! Trying to track down a scan or pic currently ..
      " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

There was never really an official company logo, so the closest you can really get is the different corporate letterhead designs. There were probably 5 or 6 that I can think of, depending on the name of the company at the time. They were all variations on the name "Trans Flordia Aviation" with a top silhouette of a Mustang.

Here is a scan of the Cavalier letterhead:

Warren has one of the PA-48 "bullseye" patches...hopefully he'll come along soon and post a scan of it. His father was the Project Manager for the PA-48 program at Piper.

Comment

Thank's for the info ... I knew someone would have some input ! Hopefully will see the PA-48 patch show up, looking forward to seeing that ..

Not all the Mustangs that Cavalier or TFA had the larger tail ( like the 51H ) did they ?
          " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

Originally posted by rje71
            Not all the Mustangs that Cavalier or TFA had the larger tail ( like the 51H ) did they ?
            No...it was only an option on aircraft built up during or after 1967. Only about 30-35 aircraft (out of 100 or so that Cavalier built or modified) had the Cavalier tail.

You'll note, though, that many current TF-51s that are not Cavaliers use the tall tail (like Tempus Fugit, for example).

FWIW, the Cavalier tail is a different design than the P-51H tail. It is actually a copy of a tall-tail designed by NAA and NACA that they put on several test Mustangs during and after WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
              FWIW, the Cavalier tail is a different design than the P-51H tail. It is actually a copy of a tall-tail designed by NAA and NACA that they put on several test Mustangs during and after WWII.
              Can we tatoo that on some peoples heads? I can't believe how many people don't get that.....
              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I know the tail you are speaking of .. I think there maybe have been a picture or 2 or not on the Dryden website at one time...

Did the ARMY use a Cavalier for chase duties out in NM at one time ?

Would you say that these types of conversions were on the same level at the " On Mark " stuff done to the Invaders ?
                " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                  Can we tatoo that on some peoples heads? I can't believe how many people don't get that.....
                  Get what?

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
                    Get what?
                    H tails and Cavalier tails are different.

Jarrod

Comment

Warren has one of the PA-48 "bullseye" patches...hopefully he'll come along soon and post a scan of it. His father was the Project Manager for the PA-48 program at Piper.
                      The "Bullseye" design was selected as the "Official" PA-48 patch after a company-wide competition was held (employees and family members). I cannot remember who submitted the winning design or what the prize was. Hard to believe that this patch is 25 years old. Since, my father (Tom Cook) was the Program Manager, I think my design submission was probably left in his glove box to avoid any controversy.

I also have a SA-32T patch, probably just as rare, much better looking patch design. The old man worked for crazy eddie down on the southside as well. However, thats a story for another time. (Perhaps the only person here who will get that reference is King)

Comment

Hey you guys aren't talkin about them North American airplanes with that water cooled thingy in the front behind the propeller are you? (hehe) Just kidding guys! Would be kind of cool to see one of the Enforcers today, wasn't the turbine put in that a Lycoming? I think I still have an Air Classics or Warbirds magazine with some cool pictures and an article about it here some where.(need to go dig)
                        Scott....

Comment

Originally posted by rje71
                          Did the ARMY use a Cavalier for chase duties out in NM at one time ?

Would you say that these types of conversions were on the same level at the " On Mark " stuff done to the Invaders ?
                          The Army did own two Cavaliers between 1968 and 1975, and they may very well have been out at White Sands or otherwise in New Mexico. They were both used as test chase aircraft.

I suppose it's appropriate to compare the work Cavalier performed on Mustangs and OnMark performed on A-26s. The TFA/Cavalier civil conversion Mustangs were similar to the OnMark Marketeers, and the military Cavaliers similar to the OnMark Counter Invader.

Comment

The Army did own two Cavaliers between 1968 and 1975, and they may very well have been out at White Sands or otherwise in New Mexico. They were both used as test chase aircraft.
                            At least one of these served as a chase aircraft out at Edwards AFB. They had it on display at the '76 Mojave races. I think they were white on top, gloss dark green on the bottom, or something like that...kind of a hybrid Cavalier paint job?

I also recall seeing a picture of one of the planes being serviced at the old Aero Sport facility in Chino.

Comment

Google can provide a few Enforcer photos.

And here's a site with photos of various Cavalier variations (click the photo to see the others)

Comment

Working...
                              X