Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2007 Reno - can Dago Red challenge Sept. Fury?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Reno - can Dago Red challenge Sept. Fury?

For what it's worth.....since Reno 2007 is along ways off and we need something to keep us going until then ....

I was standing in front of the Voodoo pit after the Gold on Sunday, and happened to eavesdrop on a conversation between Dan Martin and Bob Hannah. Dan was talking about his aborted qualifying attempt in Dago Red on Tuesday and said that he and the team, based on the chosen power settings, were anticipating a qualifying speed of 497 for Dago

Of course, that was until the mayday call But it still gives us Reno addicts something to ponder for next year when you read Matt Jackson's comments about Sept. Fury having about 15 mph still in the bag, which would take her up to about 495 - 500. Good stuff to ponder as we count the days until next September

Re: 2007 Reno - can Dago Red challenge Sept. Fury?

SF will win again next year.
    WW

Comment

dago dago!!!
      i was getting excited this year about 3 planes 500 mph capable
      4 planes?!!! omg
      www.renosection3.com

Comment

It all boils down to attrition. If there were no such thing......

Race: Unlimited Heat 2-A Gold Date: 2003-09-12 Distance: 50.33 miles
        Pilot Name: Holm, Skip Aircraft: Dago Red - Race 4 Type: P-51D Mustang
        Time: 5:57.29 Speed: 507.105 Place: 1
        Notes: New race record.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
          It all boils down to attrition. If there were no such thing......

Race: Unlimited Heat 2-A Gold Date: 2003-09-12 Distance: 50.33 miles
          Pilot Name: Holm, Skip Aircraft: Dago Red - Race 4 Type: P-51D Mustang
          Time: 5:57.29 Speed: 507.105 Place: 1
          Notes: New race record.
          And for a video of this race, check this out (word of warning to low bandwidth users, this is a HUGE file (around 120 megs)):

Check out how low Skip is on the first lap. You really get an idea of how fast a 500+ mph is..
          Mark Johnson
          Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Thanks for making that video available.

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
              HOLY CRAP !! That is an awesome movie !
              Kinda puts you right in the cockpit, doesn't it? I thought it was cool that as hard as Skip was hammering, the Bear was right with him for the first lap or so.

Just makes me wish all the more for a healthly Bear, Dago, Witch and SF to have the mother of all throwdowns at R2K7..
              Mark Johnson
              Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

What an adrenaline rush!!! That looks to low for comfort. Did not know the Bear had the pole. Thanks so much for the link.

We need Holm back in a fast airplane!

Comment

WOW!

I've seen a lot of in-cockpit video of racers, but that was really good stuff! Check Skip's bank angle for the entire race. Nice piece of flying. You can see the Bear's shadow for about a lap & 1/2 then just Dago. Cool stuff!

Thanks for posting!!

Comment

Is SF capable of running 500+ MPH laps? A healthy Dago certainly is, and Bear may be capable of those speeds as well. Strega probably is too, but Tiger hasn't had a plane that will stay together long enough to race in years. If you can asnwer the question, you have your answer.

Comment

Wow! Now that's what I'm talking about! I'm all wound up...got to go down to the white water park and throw it down while I'm all pumped up!

Not being a flyer what references points to you use to maintain "safe" altitude? I could see the horizon thru the right side of the windshield...do pilots use certain reference points on the plane to line up with on the horizon or pylons etc. It looks like you can't really measure vertical distance flying that low, that fast and with that extreme roll (90degrees)!

It was also very interesting to see Skip looking to his left all the time. Was it Rare Bear or was it just him sighting his line to stay on course?

Thanks for the video

Comment

whops, that should read left (port) side of the windshield.

Comment

The work load in the cockpit looked pretty high after the pull up. Anyone know what he was doing other than gear and flaps?
                          Tom

Comment

He also opened the canopy a little. You can see the fabric on his left arm fluttering and the camera angle changed. After the pull up you can also hear the engine speed being reduced significantly.

So nobody knows what reference points pilots use to maintain altitude when their banked at 90 degrees. Cameras give you much more tunnel vision than the way it really is but 500mph is 500mph! Things come up real quick...not a sport for meek and timid that is for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                              My guess..
                              1) Reducing throttle
                              2) Shutting down ADI and Spray-bar
                              3) Adjusting prop pitch
                              4) adjusting mixture
                              1, 3, 4, DUH.
                              Shoulda been more specific, he's going to the bottom of the cockpit a couple times, spray bar? radiator cooling ramp? nitros bottle? C'mon mustang experts.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X