Good things to talk about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good things to talk about

From where I sat no one made a run at Mike Brown worth mentioning. Tiger ran by me in Dreadnaught, but only after the first lap. Speed over take was somewhere around 10 MPH from my view point so maybe 465 tops. Mike had 35 MPH on me at will, so no one was even close to challenge Mike. Next year is going to be a tough one for the Merlins again. Mike has another good 15 mph under the hood so hang on Merlins. It was great to see all my fellow race pilots and families. I look forward to the ramp talk as much as the racing. This year was no exception. Good people, fast planes and good weather. I didn't break. I can't tell you how awesome it is to run 3900 HP and not blow the motor. Flying Dreadnaught was like running a video game. Turn on three switches and push the handles up and hold on. A little voice over the radio would indicate position and time each lap and ask what I wanted for dinner after I landed. I haven't ever seen the race course with that much clarity before. I finally figured out why they call it the Buick. My Dad had an old Buick Electra 4 door with a 500 Cubic inch motor back in the 70's. It was as big as a house. The thing had a ride like a Rolls Royce and incredible power. Race 8 has the same feel. I think old Dreadnaught with an oil boiler and a small canopy would give anyone out there a run for their money. Its capable of 4000 HP all day and live year after year unbroken. Not many racers can make that claim. How about this as some interesting data. From 1985 until 1996 Dreadnaught suffered no failures of any kind. One cylinder change in 11 years of racing. I was told that even the cylinder change was not necessary and was done only as a precaution. No ignition coils removed ever. 2 Reno Gold victories 14 second place finishes aka 1st looser. When was the last time you witnessed the cowlings open during race week? No nightime thrashes just lawn chairs and Diet Pepsi's with an occassional cookie or two. Please don't tell the wife. ^Talk about bringing home the bacon!!!!! Get up Monday after the races throw some 100 OCT in the tank and rumble on home. Flush the adi system and drain the spray bar tank and your ready for the Air Show season. I think Brian said he did the first brake pad change in 23 years just to make sure I had brakes. He said they didn't need changing. Week before Reno we'll fill the tanks and change the plugs and rumble back to Reno. Just incredible nothing else to say. To all my friends it was great seeing you all this year. I hope to be back next year having as much fun. On another note my love and support goes out to my son Sargent Matthew T Jackson who is currently protecting our way of life here in America by putting his life on the line as a United States Marine. Simper Fi little Matt!!!!!! The family and I are real proud of you and all the other sons and daughters fighting to keep us free. I don't think any of us really know how lucky we are to live in this great country we call the USA. So lets try and remember what really counts. All the rest is bull**** and meaningless..

Matt J

Re: Good things to talk about

Gotta love the Buick!!!
    Thanks for posting Matt!
    I really need to get you to sign one of these for me.

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Hey Matt,
      That's the best post I've seen on here in quite a while! Very nice job this year and I hope you keep coming back.
      Sky Critter

Comment

Matt,

Does this experience make you want to put an R-4360 in The American Spirit instead of an R-3350, or is the design and construction too far along to make such a change at this point?

Lowell

Comment

THIS is the reason why I succumbed to the coersive thread posted last month (?)! I've lurked for a long time and now I can thank an unlimited
          driver of the MOST resilient mount I've ever known! (...too bad I didn't let ya know to put yer boots on, I can shovel it pretty good...) Thanks for the 'gouge' FROM the driver's seat Mr. Jackson! Good show! I'll keep the boy in my prayers....
          -Oliver (in a more hospitable desert)
          Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Great post. Thanks.

Comment

I've lurked here for quite a while, and finally registered and put up my first post last week. Reading some of the stuff since then had me believing that I didn't really want to participate in this forum, and along comes this post. Thanks, Matt, for giving we fans a great insight as to what the race week is like for a competitor. I've been attending the Reno Air Races since 1969, with a few misses here and there. It's guys like you and racers like Drednaught the keep me coming back, year after year.
              The best to your son overseas and to all of our best and bravest. Come home safe and soon!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson
                On another note my love and support goes out to my son Sargent Matthew T Jackson who is currently protecting our way of life here in America by putting his life on the line as a United States Marine. Simper Fi little Matt!!!!!! The family and I are real proud of you and all the other sons and daughters fighting to keep us free. I don't think any of us really know how lucky we are to live in this great country we call the USA. So lets try and remember what really counts. All the rest is bull**** and meaningless..

Matt J
                Matt,
                Congratulations on having a good time this year. Is it true that there are catered meals in the rear cockpit at mid-race from around lap 3 to 4? If so I hope the ribs were good. Thanks for the update on little Matt, My families thoughts and prayers will be sent his way.
                John Slack

Comment

Thanks for the great post, Matt. We all love Dreadnought and you really made her sing this year.

_________
                  -Matt
                  Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Fantastic post! I've read quotes where a number of race pilots said that they'd like a chance to fly race in Dreadnought. Sounds like there's good reason for that! Am I crazy for thinking that the perfect support vehicle for Dreadnought would be a big 70's Plymouth Fury station wagon painted silver with a red stripe....??

I can't help but be reminded of an interview with either Brian where he was talking about Dennis taking 8 to a non-Reno race a number of years ago, and going with 1 mechanic and a change of spark plugs (OK, that's 56 plugs, so its not *that* trivial ) Tiger was there with Strega, a support trailer, and a tent. Tiger changed banks at night, the 8 crew had margaritas. Gotta love it. Of course Tiger actually won, but that's practically a footnote to the story.

I love the Merlin Mustangs too, and when they get their bugs ironed out I still think they'll still be pretty tough to beat, but right now the stars are sure aligned for the Sea Fury contingent.

Thoughts and prayers to Little Matt and all our troops overseas.

Comment

Awesome post Mr. Jackson!
                      You restoreth our faith.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Thanks Matt! That post right there is why I registered here in the first place. I can't tell you how cool it is to hear it right from the horse's mouth. It's means a lot to a "simpleton" such as myself.

About your flying this year, 5 star my friend! I've never seen the Buick more on rails. I watched as you hit your line around 6 every single time. Nobody flew that section any better all week. Really, really a pleasure to watch. Thanks for all your efforts. I know it's tough when you guys have to kick back all day. The races without Dreadnought would be like Christmas without St. Nick.

Cheers to little Matt. May Archangel Michael ride his shoulder.

The first three photos are consecutive laps from Thurs. The others are from later in the week. Rock steady every day.
                        Attached Files
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson
                          Flying Dreadnaught was like running a video game. Turn on three switches and push the handles up and hold on. A little voice over the radio would indicate position and time each lap and ask what I wanted for dinner after I landed. I haven't ever seen the race course with that much clarity before. I finally figured out why they call it the Buick. My
                          I'm not sure which plane you were flying. I didn't see a DreadnAught at Reno. I saw a DreadnOught

I think they call it the buick because we all seem to misspell Dreadnought (I know I have). Heck, since all the fans seem to own all the racers, they should just vote and rename it "The Buick"...

Good job this year...

Michael

Comment

I gotta say, Matt....you're quickly catching Skip as the 'slut pilot' of choice.

How many different racers does that make now? Risky Business, Mis-Fit, Stiletto, Voodoo, Southern Cross, Argonaut, and the Buick. There's got to be a few more in there over the years that I've missed.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                              I gotta say, Matt....you're quickly catching Skip as the 'slut pilot' of choice.

How many different racers does that make now? Risky Business, Mis-Fit, Stiletto, Voodoo, Southern Cross, Argonaut, and the Buick. There's got to be a few more in there over the years that I've missed.
                              Speed don't forget that Matt also raced the Bear
                              John Slack

Comment

Working...
                              X