Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWBIE ALERT!!!!

Hello everyone,
    I have been watching this forum for about 5 yrs. now and I finally got up the nerve to register (seems to be the consensus here lately) and make my first post. During the time I have been watching (and learning) this forum I have come to enjoy the humor and passionate discussions. Lately more passionate than others.....I really want to thank each and everyone of you that posted updates and photos here during the race week. Again I was unable to attend (work should be outlawed for air race fans) It seems that Uncle Sam needs parts just about the same time every year.... we get busy and I get stuck on a surface plate. (excuses are like A$$holes right) anyway enough

Thank you everyone in advance
    Wayne,Victor (Mr. ET) Randy Goss John Slack
    Rare Bear fan for life
    Round motors rule

Re: NEWBIE ALERT!!!!

Well as another Newbie I guess I better do the self intro thing too....

Hi, My names Rob. I've lurked here off and on since Pylon 1 folded up and left. My first memory of Air Racing was watching Greenameyer (?) belly that Bearcat in at Mojave way back when.....I was just a kid then. Made it to a few Reno events. I saw Super Snoopy lumber around the pylons I was in the stands when that F-16 busted the big one at airshow center

Then I ran off and joined the Navy and that pretty much ended regular Air Race attendance! (except on the odd chance I wasn't deployed somewhere and made it to Reno....twice I think!)

20 years later here I am. Retired, family, mortgage......and STILL haven't made it back to Reno and I live "just down the road" (Ridgecrest, Ca.)

Ah well....someday.
    Rob
    Merlins are cool
    But Radials rule!
    And jets just make noise

Comment

Originally posted by 64chrysler300
      Well as another Newbie I guess I better do the self intro thing too....

Hi, My names Rob. I've lurked here off and on since Pylon 1 folded up and left. My first memory of Air Racing was watching Greenameyer (?) belly that Bearcat in at Mojave way back when.....I was just a kid then. Made it to a few Reno events. I saw Super Snoopy lumber around the pylons I was in the stands when that F-16 busted the big one at airshow center

Then I ran off and joined the Navy and that pretty much ended regular Air Race attendance! (except on the odd chance I wasn't deployed somewhere and made it to Reno....twice I think!)

20 years later here I am. Retired, family, mortgage......and STILL haven't made it back to Reno and I live "just down the road" (Ridgecrest, Ca.)

Ah well....someday.
      Rob you forgot something ......... your HEART has always been at RENO every year your body diddnt make it . Once you go to RENO you will never be the same....You can remember the smell and sounds of the engines, people, crews and dont forget the PLANES...........Thanks to wayne for this chance to keep it alive till the next races start.

retired RARE BEAR CREW.......TOM

Comment

My first memory of Air Racing was watching Greenameyer (?) belly that Bearcat in at Mojave way back when......
        That would have been Lyle Shelton in the 'then-named' "Spirit of 77" in 1976.

Comment

Ahhh, You'll learn there is always one of us geeks lurking, waiting to correct innacurate memories!
          That's what makes this site cool, the wealth of knowledge and years of Air Race participation and fandom that keeps the history alive (and accurate).

Leo
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

<joggles memory core> Thanks Speeddemon! I guess my cranial USB port had dust in it

Tom, you are so right.....The sounds, the smells (NOT the porto-sans ) the people and yes...especially the planes.

sombody posted a video on youtube of September Fury screaming down the fenceline.....I play it over and over.....NEVER heard a radial scream/whine like that. It sends chills up my spine listening to it.

I really need to get my Reno fix again....2007, makin plans!
            Rob
            Merlins are cool
            But Radials rule!
            And jets just make noise

Comment

sombody posted a video on youtube of September Fury screaming down the fenceline....

Got a link for that that you'd be willing to share with another guy with a Mopar username?

Also, I've lost track of where the "Medium Rare Bear" stack fire pictures are, if anyone has that link handy.

Comment

Well...okay...even if you are a B-body guy

Sept. Fury sounds amazing, Dreadnought buzzes the fenceline, glee ensues

Crank up the volume!!!!
                Rob
                Merlins are cool
                But Radials rule!
                And jets just make noise

Comment

Well...okay...even if you are a B-body guy
                  Now, now... I speak C-body too. This is my daily driver:

One car that I let get away and often wish I had back was a '65 300L. Maroon with black leather. What a monster... and quick even with one dead hole in the 413 (burned exhaust valve).

Sept. Fury sounds amazing, Dreadnought buzzes the fenceline, glee ensues

Crank up the volume!!!!
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                    Also, I've lost track of where the "Medium Rare Bear" stack fire pictures are, if anyone has that link handy.
                    Here's one I found from another thread:

Mark Johnson
                    Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Very nice! Good to see another Whale driver here. You on the "dock"? Mines got a sick 383....but that will change in the not to far distant future
                      Rob
                      Merlins are cool
                      But Radials rule!
                      And jets just make noise

Comment

Very nice! Good to see another Whale driver here. You on the "dock"? Mines got a sick 383....but that will change in the not to far distant future

ROB I am going next year and the is room for you, only 2 othe guys in motor home....................

Comment

Sounds good...I promised my wife a trip to canada next year.....Reno will be "my" vacation
                          Rob
                          Merlins are cool
                          But Radials rule!
                          And jets just make noise

Comment

Working...
                          X