Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question

How come there isn't a Turbo-prop class at the Reno Air Races?
    They have biplanes, sport planes, unlimited and even jets.
    With all the turbine powered Lancairs out there it seems like a natural class to have, or expand to. There's even support for rocket races. Turbo-props seem alot more practical and affordable to race than rockets.

planebrian

Re: Newbie Question

imho there should be a turbine class and a unlimited jet class. It probably just needs a group of guys with planes to race to put together a class much like the sporties did

Comment

Re: Newbie Question

I think there may be a turbine class at Reno someday, but I don't know if it will happen during our lifetimes (assuming the R.A.R. will survive that long).

Someday the WWII stuff will become too scarce and/or valuable to risk for low altitude racing, and a replacement will be needed to keep the crowds comin', but those-who-know say that day will be for some time to come.

If/when it DOES happen, the turbines will be the only suitable replacement as far as top speeds go.

Why we don't have turboprops racing today?

You got me. Lack of suitable turbine airframes that can take the airloads/G-forces of high-speed pylon racing? Someone afraid they may prematurely bring the demise of WWII warbird racing? Lack of enough time per day to add yet ANOTHER racing class? I have never heard a reasonable answer to that question.

As far as UNLIMITED jet racing goes, Here's my thoughts:

I think the current track is just a little too tight for their capabilities. Most civilian jet warbirds are older models (F-86, Mig 19, etc) and might not handle well enough for Stead's course at the speeds they are capable of reaching to be considered safe (that's just my opinion, not fact)....

..., and the military REFUSES to let me have a more suitable F-16A to race with (AW, c'mon guys. It's SURPLUS! You aren't using it anymore!)

Comment

Working...
      X