Hey Randy Haskin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Randy Haskin

I saw your posting on the F-4 thread, and there are a couple questions i've been wating to ask you. You being a TOP stick in the F-15 [and several other jets you have talked about] I was just wondering if you are checked out in any warbirds, and would you even be intrested in flying them? Me, I would just love to be able to fly a Cesna 150, but you being a combat veteran and a TOP notch modern day fighter pilot, I didn't know if you being offered to fly say a, P-51 Mustang, would that be like me offering Dale Ernhardt Jr a chance to take my 13 year old Buick Roadmaster around the block? So I guess my actual question is. If given the chance would you like to fly the WWII fighter aircraft? Me any chance I get to even see one sitting on the ground, or in a muesum, I get a grin from ear to ear. Would you get grins out of actually flying them? Again just let me say a big THANK YOU for what you and ALL our service men and women do for our GREAT country, may God bless you, and God bless America. Sincerely tex-fan

Re: Hey Randy Haskin

When Randy goes to bed at night, he counts P-51s instead of sheep!

Comment

Originally posted by Fugari
      When Randy goes to bed at night, he counts P-51s instead of sheep!
      Hell, I do that and I don't even fly.

Comment

Originally posted by tex-fan
        I saw your posting on the F-4 thread, and there are a couple questions i've been wating to ask you. You being a TOP stick in the F-15 [and several other jets you have talked about] I was just wondering if you are checked out in any warbirds, and would you even be intrested in flying them? Me, I would just love to be able to fly a Cesna 150, but you being a combat veteran and a TOP notch modern day fighter pilot, I didn't know if you being offered to fly say a, P-51 Mustang, would that be like me offering Dale Ernhardt Jr a chance to take my 13 year old Buick Roadmaster around the block? So I guess my actual question is. If given the chance would you like to fly the WWII fighter aircraft? Me any chance I get to even see one sitting on the ground, or in a muesum, I get a grin from ear to ear. Would you get grins out of actually flying them? Again just let me say a big THANK YOU for what you and ALL our service men and women do for our GREAT country, may God bless you, and God bless America. Sincerely tex-fan
        Easy there, Tex....Hacker is good, but he ain't all that. Hell, I used to pin him down and Mystery Aire on his head!

Comment

I don't know speed, it looks to me like if you can fly an F-15, your probably pretty good. As I said there's no hope of soneone like me getting in a warbird, someone like Randy actually could. I was just courious if he would want to.

Comment

I don't know speed, it looks to me like if you can fly an F-15, your probably pretty good. As I said there's no hope of soneone like me getting in a warbird, someone like Randy actually could. I was just courious if he would want to.

I think he's got a few irons in the fire.

BTW, Randy...Greg Anders said to say 'hi'. And when I mentioned the Lakenheath/Duxford connection, his only comment was "SH#T...and people give ME a bad time!"

Comment

Duxford: so many toys, so little time!
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

(Excerpt)
                ... Me, I would just love to be able to fly a Cesna 150, but you being a combat veteran and a TOP notch modern day fighter pilot, I didn't know if you being offered to fly say a, P-51 Mustang, would that be like me offering Dale Ernhardt Jr a chance to take my 13 year old Buick Roadmaster around the block?...

. Sincerely tex-fan
                The Buick may not be a good comparison to a P-51. I think it would be more appropriately compared to asking Junior if he would like to take a spin in a 40 year old Ferrari 250 GTO.

Both may be old machines whose time has passed, but they are still dream machines that can hold their own, and people even today still drool over 'em.

Comment

It is a long-time dream to pilot warbirds, and something I hope to do a lot in the future. I'm not qualified to fly any of the warbirds that you're thinking of. The sad fact is, there's a Grand Canyon's worth of difference between being qualified to fly the Eagle and qualified to fly a piston warbird. Although flying a jet in combat requires skill and is high stress, it's not nearly enough to waltz into flying a Mustang.

The big issue, of course, is insurance. Nobody will even talk to you about being insured in a warbird fighter unless you have 200+ hours of T-6 time. Naturally, there are areas where jet fighter skills lend themselves to flying warbirds (formation flying, low flying, speed, complex aircraft, able to handle drastic emergencies, etc), but there are many areas where I have BAD habits. The two biggest ones are managing a big piston engine, and tailwheel skills. In the jet, I can b*tch-slap the throttles around all I want and not care a bit about what that does to the engines. As I mentioned in the other thread, I pretty much fly with my feet on the floor, so I don't have the natural rudder skills needed to takeoff/land a taildragger.

So...my goal is to get a bunch of T-6 time over the next couple of years. Then, who knows.

Comment

That's true AirDOGGe, I don't even dream about the Buick.

Comment

Thanks Randy for your reply, I must say that it took me back a little. I just really thought someone like you could just jump in anything, and take off. Well here's hoping you get some seat time in the T-6, then go on the the fighters.

Comment

I just really thought someone like you could just jump in anything, and take off.
                        Unless you're someone like Bob Hoover, that is the kind of attitude that gets you killed in a real hurry. Or at least causes you to crash two Yaks on takeoff....'professional pilot' or no.

Comment

Well I knew that it took more than a basic license to fly those warbirds, and i knew you had to be tail dragger qulified also. But I just really thought a fighter pilot could cut a few corners. All the pilots [ALL CLASSES] are my heros, because I at least know what they do is VERY special. But I guess I'm just showing my ignorance, so I think I'll stop now.

Comment

You can't just call for a tanker when you get low on gas either Missed you in the parking detail Randy. But you will be proud to know your nephew filled in nicely for you.
                            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Thanks Randy for your reply, I must say that it took me back a little. I just really thought someone like you could just jump in anything, and take off. Well here's hoping you get some seat time in the T-6, then go on the the fighters.
                              The first thing a professional pilot needs to have is a healthy respect for ALL aircraft. The one that you think you have 'mastered' is the one that will probably kill you in a moment of complacency!

As Lefty Gardner once said, 'If you grab a wildcat by the tail...you just never know when it'll turn around and bite ya!'.

I'd never think that experience in one type of aircraft automatically meant that I would be able to step into another...especially an aircraft like the Mustang (or even the T-6!). It's probably like a racecar driver who does great in F1, but can't cut it in NASCAR or IRL...they're similar, but also very different.

All that being said...someday I hope to be a student of the big WWII fighters.

Comment

Working...
                              X