• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Czech mate

does Czech Mate hav a web site?

BM

Re: Czech mate

quote, " It has the smallest cubic displacement on the course,"

Czech Mate has an R-2800 ci. Radial. The P-51 has a Merlin of 1650 ci.
    The Wildcat has 1820 ci.

It is a very cool racer and one of my favorites.

Comment

I agree Dash! Czech Mate is a really cool racer that always seems to be back in the shadows, out of everyone's sight and mind. Every year they get a little faster (445 is the fastest to date) and they're always in the gold! I remember when Bob Yancey first brought her (race #101) to Reno in 1988 I believe, and my first reaction was,"Whoa, this plane is cool, looks kinda like a throwback to the 20's-30's era of racers" and I have loved it ever since!
      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Dash,

I echo your sentiments and have been wanting to say the same thing all week in a new post. I love the blue and silver and polished aluminum nostalgic look. Bob Yancey was a tremendous guy to the average race fan. I'd love to see Czech Mate win a big race or at least a Tunica/Tucson-type event just for being there when some of the big dogs didn't show, and when some attrition takes out a couple of others. Race 86 has beat Dreadnought a time or two. I hope it gets a buyer soon who will do some wing mods or a whole wing swap to take it to the next level. I've often wondered if a Thunder Mustang wing would be a possible swap. When we were selling Thunder Mustang kits between 1997-2000 we sold and delivered three men (one from Reno) complete wing kits with landing gear that never bought the rest. Just a thought....

Comment

I gotta chime in and say it has been my favorite for years. Since then I've always said if I were to build a racer, that's the one I'd build. I've always loved the look of the Yaks. The color scheme is hands down the best lookin' one of all (IMHO). Then look at what that thing does with a 2800. It's like the coolest kid in the class. Always gets the the chicks and is at every cool party and when push comes to shove he's got a little somethin' for 'em.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Several years ago now, I had a long talk with the airplane's major builder, Bill Whitlatch.. who frequents this board, by the way...

He shared with me the build photos and a lot of lore about the airplane. It's a project I've had to shelve for a while but do get back to, once in a while.

I have all the build photos scanned and on my HD. Major time issue is the transcription of the long conversation with Bill.

Think you guys would be interested in the "complete" Peristroka/CzechMate story some time soon?

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

YES!!!!

Comment

AHHH, YEEAAHHHH!!!
                "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                  Think you guys would be interested in the "complete" Peristroka/CzechMate story some time soon?

Well that's a dumb question! Of course

Jarrod

Comment

I will be doing a "Race Pilot" piece for Czech Mate. I have a few things that must get done before I can get back to the rest of my Reno images and creating art. Cool stuff soon!!!!!
                    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

YES...Please....

At first, Ole' Blue's engine in a Communist trainer didn't set well. Then, when Mr. Yancey brought out Perestroika and ran the......out of her..
                      well I've been hooked ever since.....It just looks soooo COOL!
                      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Like I said in another post, Czech Mate is my FAVORITE non-mustang racer ever built.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                          I will be doing a "Race Pilot" piece for Czech Mate. I have a few things that must get done before I can get back to the rest of my Reno images and creating art. Cool stuff soon!!!!!

Make sure you use a photo of Sherwood Smooth in his 'American Flag' boxer shorts when you do it.

Comment

Speed, we'll assume that you heard about the boxers from one of the dancing girls...
                            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                              Speed, we'll assume that you heard about the boxers from one of the dancing girls...
                              Actually he was wearing them around the pit one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X