Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolls-Royce Heritage Trophy Results

Anyone have the results?

I know the Jenny took top honors, and the others?

Re: Rolls-Royce Heritage Trophy Results

I'm not sure how the other judging went, but I am a little miffed over that Jenny. It is a nice build there is no doubt, but they don't fly it. It is trucked in, assembled and displayed. Everything else there is flown. I would prefer the event only be open to flying aircraft.

Comment

Did you notice that the plane has a tail skid, and does not have a tail wheel? The plane is very original, and there is absolutely no place to safely land that plane at Stead. Also, to fly from Sonoma Ca, would you really fly that over the Sierras? Not a chance. You would also need a grass or dirt strip all the way to Stead.

This plane flies regularly every summer and several weekends each month at it's homebase, and has quite a few hours on it. This is a picture I took of it with Chris Prevost's Neuiport replica.
      Attached Files

Comment

The P-40 won the military class, the Waco Cabin won the Wright Trophy, the polished Baby Electra won, and of course the fabulous Jenny.
        Did anyone get pics of the B-17R Staggerwing going around the three mile course on Sunday evening? That hasn't happened since 1970!
        Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Cain
          Did you notice that the plane has a tail skid, and does not have a tail wheel? The plane is very original, and there is absolutely no place to safely land that plane at Stead. Also, to fly from Sonoma Ca, would you really fly that over the Sierras? Not a chance. You would also need a grass or dirt strip all the way to Stead.

This plane flies regularly every summer and several weekends each month at it's homebase, and has quite a few hours on it. This is a picture I took of it with Chris Prevost's Neuiport replica.
          Oh, I must have been completely misinformed. I was led to understand it was never flown period. I take back my negative comments.

Comment

Does anyone have any pics of the yellow Beech B-17R rounding the three mile course on Sunday evening?
            Chris...

Comment

Sorry Chris, no...........

Comment

I beg to differ with you regarding whether the Jenny flies or not. As the attached image shows she is flown from time to time. It was a gigantic effort just to get the aircraft restored to the authentic condition you saw. On the day I accomplished the air to air shoot with her the owner was giving rides at the airport and the aircraft flew for nearly an hour. Granted the Jenny does not fly very often, but then the aircraft is simply too valuable to go joy riding all the time. It is an amazing aircraft and deserved all the awards the Rolls Royce Heritage Competition could present her. Congratulations to all the winners. Here are a couple of images of two of the winners. Enjoy.

Dave
                Attached Files

Comment

I thought the Jenny was extremely well done. Partial as I am to the Firefly, I think the RR Heritage Trophy was well deserved. The team was almost aghast at all the attention she was getting. But then again, they let just about anyone with a camera in for a better look with only the warning "if you need to touch anything, just come and get one of us." I was very impressed from one end to the other.

Cheers
                  Gerry

Comment

Just a quick note on the Jenny.

These was taken in August, on the last day's flying before it was dismantled for the trip to Stead, for rides and then Dave's air-to-air shoot.

The owner, Frank Schelling, gets a huge amount of pleasure from allowing his friends to fly in this lovely aeroplane - I was passenger number 150-odd since it first flew 3 years ago. A nicer, more enthusiastic group of people than Frank and his team you couldn't hope to meet, I was really pleased to hear that they'd received the top award.

As Roger says, the aircraft is equipped with a tailskid, so is only operated off grass. Frank has decided not to risk the aircraft on cross-country flights (having spend 31 years collecting parts and restoring it, that's not very surprising), so it is nowadays only flown from its base at Schelville in early mornings.

Be assured, it is VERY MUCH an airworthy aeroplane, I've probably still got a few bugs in my teeth to prove it as I was grinning so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51
                      it is nowadays only flown from its base at Schelville in early mornings.
                      Schelville is quite the little airport isn't it? Doesn't look like much from the outside, but start looking in the hangers and you'd be hard pressed to find another with simular aircraft. Very Cool place to wonder through.
                      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                      My Photos
                      My Ride

Comment

Next one Looks Like October 14th and 15th. Sure wish I were able to make it out
                        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                        My Photos
                        My Ride

Comment

Working...
                        X