T-6 Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-6 Racing

How did you like us going back to the old school start ? I'm thinking from the stands the turn on to course was pretty dramatic and in your face. I think the class / pilots were pleased from a safety standpoint. Randy Goss can chime in from a Board member viewpoint.

Someone please post pics, I was to busy with #444 this year to pull out the Nikon.

I think we, the T-6 racing class made a pretty good show. In the T-6 silver - our first heat race was the best T6 race I've ever witnessed 5 ships duking it out for 2nd and then holding off a faster Race 8 in the final for 3rd place was huge, both Ken and Jim did a great job of flying. Lets just say that I didn't have to use the comm to tell Jim that Ken was all over him, I think Race 8's prop noise was doing that job for me!

Warren
    CC Race #444

Re: T-6 Racing

To be honest, Warren....the first time I saw the start it scared the living chit out of me. Too many planes in the same place at the same time. The pace laps and the various starting chutes over the last decade or so have strung the field out before anything could happen...and I just held my breath this year.

But the pilots I talked to liked it because it softened the turn, and there didn't seem to be any mishaps...so I guess begrudgingly I'll have to say it was a success.

NOW, lets change the subject to the matter of a certain yellow T-6's performance increase. I think I'm going to lay out the money for an engine protest on old 444.......

Comment

Hi Warren. Took this from the RR Trophy area on Sunday. Talk about some close racing! I like the old start too, but because of the reason for the change to begin with, I would be concerned about that hazard still existing, but side by side maybe it isn't so much of a concern. But, that is not my call. I really liked it when you guys came down the VOS for your starts. The more racers coming down the chute that way the better I always say!
      Bil
      P.S. If you want the full res picture, I would be happy to email it to you Warren.l
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Air Race Addict; 09-19-2006, 02:26 PM. Reason: because......I can (;-)
      Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
        I thought there was some amazing flying in the T6 class this year.

Sorry Al wasn't able to play in the show - but the racing ROCKED!
        Dasher....how come I didn't see you out on the ramp with the other 3 chixthatfly and their biplanes during the photoshoot?

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
          That's a VERY good question...

I guess they were just looking for Rookies this year.

I was able to bully my way into the next day's photoshoot though.

Geez.

Well, for whatever its worth, it is nice to see an influx of female participation. It's really cool for when RARA/NAG brings in the school kids for tours during the week....makes a really good example for the girls to 'relate' to.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren_C
            I think we, the T-6 racing class made a pretty good show.
            Yeah... a LOUD show.

I had a good chuckle when some veteran unlimited pilots started cracking jokes about creating a rule to limit T-6 rpm to 1100 for the sake of their hearing...

All joking aside, there was a lot of good racing in the T-6 class.

Michael

Comment

Here are a few shots from the Pits of the T-6's on start.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                NOW, lets change the subject to the matter of a certain yellow T-6's performance increase. I think I'm going to lay out the money for an engine protest on old 444.......
                Yes, we surprised a few people, even ourselves during qual. Jim called me on freq after running 100% power asked me if he should qual, I looked at our three timers watches, all had him at 218, (our best speed to date) and I immediately got on the comm, shouting qual now, qual now, he ran the first lap at 218 a little wide, then a 219 flying real tight on the next. All, I can say is seeing 219 on the stop watch then going to the RARA board and seeing the same thing was a team victory. Some other racers were scratching the headings and mumbling about the harvard glass and wing tip lights. I can't take any credit, Jim flew that thing like it was on rails, redemption is a powerful tool. After, last years performance we new that the eyes of RARA, and the T-6 Class would be looking at us, the goal this time around was no f-ups in the air or on the ground. As for the motor, same motor, same reno tune-up, but, I will take your 100 for the beer fund. For those not in the know this year every T-6 had a fuel sample taken after qual and after every race, as we could only use 100LL without additives.

I guess were starting to figure this racing thing out, we've picked up and applied a few tricks, like everybody else, you got to figure out what works for you, your pilot, and your a/c. This time we worked our tails off all week, knowing that we would probably get passed by faster a/c (5, 8, and 44) that qual'd slower. But only Big Red managed to get around us, and Gordo should have been in the gold from the start. To his credit he bumped up to the gold after winning silver.

We timed our last lap in the Silver at 219, I'll give credit to our crew who was constantly cleaning, waxing. We be pretty bad at poker, since were all in all the time.

Comment

As a photog the start was great. I got some good stuff of the starts. I'll maybe get some stuff up this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    To be honest, Warren....the first time I saw the start it scared the living chit out of me. Too many planes in the same place at the same time. The pace laps and the various starting chutes over the last decade or so have strung the field out before anything could happen...and I just held my breath this year.

But the pilots I talked to liked it because it softened the turn, and there didn't seem to be any mishaps...so I guess begrudgingly I'll have to say it was a success.

I couldn't have said that any better. Made me uneasy every time. I was directly underneath the reason for change so needless to say, ugh.

What's that yellow T-6 doing in all of my T-6 shots from this year?
                    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                    X