T-33 OK for Pace, Not for Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-33 OK for Pace, Not for Chase

Once again using a T33 for a chase plane in not working. Flown by arguably on of the best pilots in the world, the T-33 can not accelerate or decelerate like a Mustang, you have to have that big old prop up front to do so, and liquid cooled to help with shock cooling. I can not believe that on Sunday, for all the marbles, there was no chase plane for the Unlimited. When Leeward Maydayed on the downwind he flew about 10-15 miles by himself to the airport with no chase. What if he had oil, fire, or whatever? Not good. Its the Gold Unlimited, you can afford to put another safety aircraft up there.

Re: T-33 OK for Pace, Not for Chase

Hmmm, that's odd, I hadn't considered that about Jimmy's mayday, but when other planes had maydays (Tiger 3 days in a row, along with a few others), Steve was right on top of them within seconds in the T-33. He used his altitude advantage to dive on them and get to them very quickly.
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

And Sir Hinton did a fantastic job
      "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Yes, I noticed that as well. Leeward called a mayday as the unlimiteds were forming up to the west over the mountains. Hinton and the T-33 stayed with the field and Leeward came flying back over the Stead all alone trailing what looked like smoke (perhaps water?), and got Cloud Dancer down ASAP. No sign of a chase plane ala Art Vance in Speedball Alice from years past.

BTW, talked to a Cloud Dancer crew member after the races, and he said "we'll fix the leak and be back next year" with a smile on his face. He said they had alot of fun this year. They looked great in the Silver on Saturday

Comment

Why not a L39?

BM

Comment

My friend Ltc. Harry Roe of the 55th FG said the rule of thumb was that if you took small arms fire in the radiator (or any hit in coolant system), you had 10 minutes till the engine siezed.
            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
              My friend Ltc. Harry Roe of the 55th FG said the rule of thumb was that if you took small arms fire in the radiator (or any hit in coolant system), you had 10 minutes till the engine siezed.
              Are those Lemmon Valley people that mad at RARA?
              Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by hg2992
                Once again using a T33 for a chase plane in not working. Flown by arguably on of the best pilots in the world, the T-33 can not accelerate or decelerate like a Mustang, you have to have that big old prop up front to do so, and liquid cooled to help with shock cooling. I can not believe that on Sunday, for all the marbles, there was no chase plane for the Unlimited. When Leeward Maydayed on the downwind he flew about 10-15 miles by himself to the airport with no chase. What if he had oil, fire, or whatever? Not good. Its the Gold Unlimited, you can afford to put another safety aircraft up there.

In the T-33s defense Cloud Dancer was the very last plane to take off. As you all know the last few guy kinda have to hustle to make it back up to the lead plane. I think if he was one of the first to take off Steve would have been right on top of him. It was just a really poor time for a mayday.
                http://96lt4.com/smileys/linet50.gif

Comment

Steve asked Jimmy if he was okay several times. If Jimmy needed help I am sure that Steve would have pulled out of the formation and asked Mike to start the race.

As it was Jimmy had power to taxi in and didn't shutdown until midfield to coast...

Comment

Originally posted by VR-92
                    In the T-33s defense Cloud Dancer was the very last plane to take off. As you all know the last few guy kinda have to hustle to make it back up to the lead plane. I think if he was one of the first to take off Steve would have been right on top of him. It was just a really poor time for a mayday.
                    Did Jimmy declare an emergency or Mayday? Would that have made a difference? Just curious. When he flew over us in the VOS, we saw the coolant leaking and thought, that doesn't look right.......... it's a little early to be using spray bar cooling. He pretty much had decided to land right after that, lined up and landed. Very smart on his part. By that time, the rest of the field were headed around Pevine. Steve Hinton couldn't have gotten to him very quickly. Where would you have the safety plane fly? It wouldn't hurt to have a second plane up there, but it wouldn't be able to be everywhere. Just thinking.
                    Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by VR-92

There never is a good time for a Mayday! Glad they all got down safe!!!! I hate not breathing that long!!!

Comment

Chase takes off last

Comment

Originally posted by hg2992
                          Chase takes off last
                          Forgot about that. Hence the word "chase", eh?
                          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                            Did Jimmy declare an emergency or Mayday? .
                            Listening on the scanner, I heard Steve ask Jimmy if he was alright. It was then that he declared the mayday.

Comment

Working...
                            X