What about next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about next year?

While it is fresh in your memory, who might have heard anything from the horse's mouth or reliable crewmembers about some of the following?

1) Dan Martin giving it another try with Dago? I don't recall any quotes from Dan himself last week posted here.

2) Bob O. bringing back #57 for racing? Any hint that he has the incuarble bug?

3) The certainty of Galloping Ghost debuting with/without a hot Cloud Dancer stablemate?

4) Matt Jackson getting the new American Spirit custom-built done in early 2007 and flying off the hours/bugs well before the entry deadline?

5) Same for Dave Morss and Wildfire?

6) A possible buyer for Furias?

7) A return of Critical Mass?

8) A definite paint scheme for Steadfast?

9) A first flight approximate for the MB.5?

10) A race canopy for Blue Thunder?

11) A promise to be at PRS by other TM owners?

12) Any new NXT owners wanting to race?

13) Any new talk about DG's Shockwave?

14) Any new radical or ultra-sleek Formula Ones being completed?

15) Other new ramp rumors? (Oh, oh...here come the proverbial and quintessential never go-away Frostbite stories...)

Re: What about next year?

Gee, Lowell, you have alot of interesting questions.

"8) A definite paint scheme for Steadfast?"

I asked when the new paint scheme would be applied (after the races on Fri.). The answer was, "When we get a major sponsor." I asked if they had any plans to do a "Fan Sponsor" program like Rare Bear and they said, "No."

With their fine performance this weekend, maybe a major sponsor will show some interest. We can only hope.
    Joe

Comment

I would like to ponder.

Rare Bear has put up a great show for the last 3 three years now. What about them getting them a sponsor? I think it's a shame that a team that has really turned up the wick hasn't been able to find a major sponsor. I can't help but think they are just a click or two away from being where they want to be.

And the reliability this year of the Merlin engines...well they left something to be desired. And I by no means intend to point fingers.

Are we seeing the rise of the 'Big Rounds'?

Lonnie

Comment

I was thinking that the Merlins had a "glass jaw" this year, but the problems were actually more in the sub-systems versus the engines themselves, with the exception of Merlin's Magic and her "fragged" engine.

One of our box mates talked to Bob Odegaard about Race 57. Looks like lots of metal being made. They plan to retrieve the engine, rebuild it then re-install -- hopefully by next Spring.
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I heard they might have Super Cub races next year, a 6 lap race, will start on Monday and finish on Sunday.......so there'll always be racing going on......just a rumor at this point.

Comment

I heard they might have Super Cub races next year, a 6 lap race, will start on Monday and finish on Sunday.......so there'll always be racing going on......just a rumor at this point

I heard that Bear Cub was going to smoke September Cub with new clipped wings, retro race canopy, and super secret engine mods! should be exiting.
            Tony

Comment

This is as close as I could get, this all came from the pilots /teams.

1) Dan Martin giving it another try with Dago? I don't recall any quotes from Dan himself last week posted here. Yes. Dan told me "We aint going out like this" Terry Bland told me the same

2) Bob O. bringing back #57 for racing? Any hint that he has the incuarble bug? I doubt it, unless another movie is being filmed.

3) The certainty of Galloping Ghost debuting with/without a hot Cloud Dancer stablemate? One or the other, No Cloud Dancer if the Ghost comes

4) Matt Jackson getting the new American Spirit custom-built done in early 2007 and flying off the hours/bugs well before the entry deadline?
              Dunno

5) Same for Dave Morss and Wild?

6) A possible buyer for Furias?
              Possibly....pretty tasty stuff if it comes true

7) A return of Critical Mass?
              Dunno

8) A definite paint scheme for Steadfast?
              If they get a major sponsor

9) A first flight approximate for the MB.5?
              I didn't even see it this year, did I just miss it?

10) A race canopy for Blue Thunder?
              That would be SWEET

11) A promise to be at PRS by other TM owners?
              Dunno

12) Any new NXT owners wanting to race?
              Dunno

13) Any new talk about DG's Shockwave?
              Lots.......but all rumors, nothing official

14) Any new radical or ultra-sleek Formula Ones being completed?
              Dunno

15) Other new ramp rumors? (Oh, oh...here come the proverbial and quintessential never go-away Frostbite stories...)
              Have you heard the one about a new gold class Sea Fury?

Comment

Heard that Critical Mass was going back to stock. No verification though.

Comment

i can help with two,
                  No, Blue Thunder will not have a "race canopy" but we will have all the bugs worked out from the mods we have done to the engine by next year ! and you thought 06 was a fast year! just wait and see

one other TM owner is planning on racing next year will keep you updated as things progress
                  Chris Moldenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
                    While it is fresh in your memory, who might have heard anything from the horse's mouth or reliable crewmembers about some of the following?

3) The certainty of Galloping Ghost debuting with/without a hot Cloud Dancer stablemate?

Well, I can give you the answers to your questions 3 and 4...
                    3) I talked briefly with Jimmy Leward in Cloud Dancer pit. I asked him about Galloping Ghost and he said they are about half finished with it. That gives them a year to get it finished up for '07!

4) I talked briefly with Matt Jackson and asked him about American Spirit. He told me it was at the Sanders' shop and being worked on. He hopes to have it finished and ready for '07!

Just a note: These two guys are a couple of the nicest guys in the sport!

Matt has always taken a few minutes to talk to me and answer my questions over the years. And I am nobody special...just an Air Race junkie!

Jimmy Leward took some time to talk with me just before he went out and raced Cloud Dancer to first place. He took the time to sign my copy of "GENTLEMEN, YOU HAVE A RACE" inside the cover and I asked him to sign the picture of him on page 284 where he is sitting in the cockpit and smiling. He signed it with no hesitation then asked me if he could borrow my book to show his daughter. I said, "Certainly!" He showed it to his daughter and a couple others in the pit and when he gave it back to me, he thanked ME for bringing the book out! I said, "No, thank YOU!"

Great guys!

**moderator note: messages by guest posters will not show up in the forum until admin or moderators review and approve. This process is done to keep SPAM and malicious posts from public eye. Please consider registering for membership on the board. It's fast, free and easy to do. Signups must be verified by response to validation email which is sent automatically upon signup**

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      Great guys!
                      You got that right!

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                        I would like to ponder.

And the reliability this year of the Merlin engines...well they left something to be desired. And I by no means intend to point fingers.

Lonnie
                        Maybe those Lemmon Valley people herded up a bunch of gremlins to pull the pins on all those "grenades".......
                        Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Somebody tell us more about the new Gold contender Sea Fury rumor.

Also about the potential Furias buyer...initials SP maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCook1
                            Gee, Lowell, you have alot of interesting questions.

"8) A definite paint scheme for Steadfast?"

I asked when the new paint scheme would be applied (after the races on Fri.). The answer was, "When we get a major sponsor." I asked if they had any plans to do a "Fan Sponsor" program like Rare Bear and they said, "No."

With their fine performance this weekend, maybe a major sponsor will show some interest. We can only hope.

Joe, the STEADFAST TEAM does have a fansponsor program. Here is a link to the website. and the sponsorship program. We accept donations through PayPal or any other means.

Thanks for bringing this up. Every donation helps bring this little Yak back to Reno in 2007. BTW, you should plan on a 385+ qualifying lap in 2007. We are really on a shoestring budget if you can even call it that. You just cant believe how much this thing cost to sit in the hanger let alone test fly it.
                            Thanks,
                            Will Whiteside

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteside
                              BTW, you should plan on a 385+ qualifying lap in 2007. We are really on a shoestring budget if you can even call it that. You just cant believe how much this thing cost to sit in the hanger let alone test fly it.
                              Thanks,
                              Will Whiteside
                              Okay, here's the plan. Next year, you need to have it in a very 'simple' paint scheme, in wash-off paint. Then in the middle of the night, we push Steadfast over the the Czech Mate pit, and 'switch' planes. A quick coating of 'Hollywood paint' for each plane, and now 86 is 33, and 33 is 86...and nobody is the wiser.

Dude...nevermind the 385 qualifying lap. You're up in the 440 range, and you're only out a few gallons of paint, and some soapy water!

Comment

Working...
                              X