Cloud Dancer Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud Dancer Facts

Okay, before rumors start flying, here are the facts about the Cloud Dancer mayday sunday.

1. Fluid making a big puddle under the plane is normal. Thats just us testing the spray bar.

2. What sounded like an engine surge on take-off was just Jimmy trying to get the prop settings right.

3. The reason of the mayday was that a weld in a 60 year old header tank failed and started to leak. The engine started to overheat so Jimmy called a Mayday.

Re: Cloud Dancer Facts

better safe than sorry.....great effort this year...
    section 3 was rooting for ya
    cloud dancer look so sweet with the new mods....hope to see you guys in gold next year too
    www.renosection3.com

Comment

glad to see nothing major is wrong. hope to see you guys next year

Comment

Glad it was nothing too serious. I love the mods to the plane, and totally dig the retro canopy(ala Oogahonk, Miss Florida, Bonehead!) Looking forward to seeing you guys next year!!!
        "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sure was looking forward to the Gold with Cloud Dancer, and was sorry to see the mayday.

Good luck next year.
          and now for the rest of the story....

Comment

REALLY looking forward to Galloping Ghost in '07!
            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
              better safe than sorry.....great effort this year...
              section 3 was rooting for ya
              cloud dancer look so sweet with the new mods....hope to see you guys in gold next year too
              I was out at the field all day shooting for the movie and at the end of the day, Jimmy took me out to get a shot of the tank crack.

I mentioned to him that someone on this board, earlier in the week, had posted something to the effect of "someone came to race this year" referencing Ryan's posting of the new look of "Cloud Dancer"...

Jimmy smiled.. broadly, and said something to the effect of "yea, that was the idea!"

Gotta go on record here.. Jimmy Leeward is a true gentleman of this sport!

He's one of the best, he does not wear it on his sleeve, he's a great man and a great friend.

Those who know him will agree!

Thank you Jimmy Leeward for producing fine racing planes, great fun for your fans and a really great family too boot!

I met Ryan, Dirk and your lovely daughter this week and continue to be a HUGE fan of the southern gentleman Jimmy Leeward.. no truer air racer ever walked this earth or flew over it!

Wayne Sagar
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

She looked as good as I've ever seen her. Absolutely beautiful fellas.

Oh, and Jimmy, Tuesday's qualifying still has me grinning.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
                  She looked as good as I've ever seen her. Absolutely beautiful fellas.

Oh, and Jimmy, Tuesday's qualifying still has me grinning.
                  AMEN to all that!!
                  _________
                  -Matt
                  Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I completely agree about Jimmy Leeward being the greatest gentleman and friend to fans in modern day Unlimited racing. He has been a wonderful inspiration, friend, and encouragement to my boys as well, since my oldest met him at the first Phoenix race when he was 6-1/2 years old.

We will be among the biggest fans rooting on the Galloping Ghost next year. Race 79 will be our hands down favorite.

I want to thank Ryan for his informative posts, excellent photos, and inside look. Thanks again for reading and acting on my wish list of two years ago too!

We were also very glad they put so much effort into making Cloud Dancer a Gold contender for 2006 to help pacify us in the wait for GG. When it became clear we wouldn't make the trip this year it was actually a good feeling that we weren't missing the debut return of NX79111. But watching from the web we were kept well informed of race 9's progress and it gave some of us V-12 fans a ray of extra hope in a week of many Merlin miseries.

The motto for 2007 is GGGG = Galloping Ghost Grabs Gold.

Comment

I think I saw on the NAG registration information that Jimmy has applied for number 177 instead of 79 for NX79111.

My biggest disappointment (and I'm sure his as well) over the years is that Jimmy has never been able to put together a 'perfect' race week when he was racing 79111. There was always SOMETHING that went wrong that kept it from being in contention. My wish is for a perfect weekend next year, and for him to fly the Ghost as low as Cloud Dancer was this year.

Comment

RE: Jimmy L.
                          ...Yes, a nice guy. I says to him one year(toward the end of the day) "you fly a really nice line around the pylons", he says- "here, let me shake your hand. ..What more could a GA pilot and air-racing fan ask for?

Too bad we didn't make it this year to see Dancer with mods.

Best of luck to them next year!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                            My wish is for a perfect weekend next year, and for him to fly the Ghost as low as Cloud Dancer was this year.
                            And that is really, really, really, REALLY low!
                            _________
                            -Matt
                            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

ok not the best quality....
                              but here is a sunday shot of the plane and crew

www.renosection3.com

Comment

Working...
                              X