Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen?

Re: Oxygen tank explosion

I never thought to ask why the pilots are on oxygen. Is it for Unlimiteds only? If it's not an altitude issue, why add all the weight? Thanks

Re: Oxygen?

The potential for mind (pilot?) killing fumes in the crew compartment is TOO great not to ere on the side of caution, besides, most are ex-fighters and most of the systems are still in place. There are other systems available for other aircraft.
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      Re: Oxygen tank explosion

I never thought to ask why the pilots are on oxygen. Is it for Unlimiteds only? If it's not an altitude issue, why add all the weight? Thanks
      Look at where the exhaust dumps out on warbirds. The cockpits are typically *full* of carbon monoxide, pretty much regardless of air speed or canopy sealing.

Comment

All you have to do is look at the exhaust streaks and realize if the streaking is that close to the cockpit, there have to be a lot of gases working their way in, not including what just sneaks around all the little holes and gaps.
        Problem with CO is it's insidious, I've been caught by it and by the time you realize something is wrong, if you do, it's too late. The LEAST you get is a violent headache.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
          All you have to do is look at the exhaust streaks and realize if the streaking is that close to the cockpit, there have to be a lot of gases working their way in, not including what just sneaks around all the little holes and gaps.
          Problem with CO is it's insidious, I've been caught by it and by the time you realize something is wrong, if you do, it's too late. The LEAST you get is a violent headache.
          Got it once pretty bad.. I remember getting pure oxygen after and being amazed as everything turned from almost black and white to color again. I'd not even noticed that everything was going to shades of gray.

Next step would have been going out I suspect.

Nasty stuff!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Both Van Grote and Farnsworth, in the Sport Class, use oxygen in the race.

Comment

Working...
            X