Strega?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strega?

Just wondering if anyone had word on what went wrong with Strega today. 'Tiger' Bill made a great move on the outside and easily moved into second. And then on the final lap, a small puff of smoke and he may-dayed out. I couldn't see anything obvious wrong when Strega was towed back, the plane looked pretty clean, and I didn't see any holes.

My hat is off to all the racers and crews.

I stopped by and talked to the wife of the pilot of Merlins Magic. A very nice lady, it was a pleasure to talk with her. Someone got a spare $100,000 grand they don't need? As was explained to me, the O2 bottle was over-filled. Supposed to have been something like 250psi, the person filling it, pumped in around 600 psi. Thank goodness only a small cut on the forehead was the result.

Also talked to team Rare Bear, burned a piston, pieces fell into the motor, and now they will need a complete rubuild I can't even begin to guess how much that will cost.

My heart goes out to all those that had problems this year. May next year be better for all.

And a really big congrats to all...

My only downer for the day, can someone please glue that announcers lips closed.

Many thanks to all,

Lonnie

Re: Strega?

Yes, the Strega team told us they had one cylinder leaking both oil and coolant into the chamber. You could see the stain on the left-bank exhaust stacks toward the rear. Tiger was in great spirits and spent alost an hour talking to fans and children (even let some kids sit in the Witch after the race)... a true sportsman and gentleman. To be honest, I was so bummed about Strega's loss that I was almost unapproachable, but seeing how well Tiger handled it totally changed me... reminded me this is all in fun and for fun. It is a sport, after all, and Tiger has won 6 times.

So I cleaned up my attitude, but I still say thank the Lord for Tiger and his team, because without them today's Gold would have been a good, fast race, but farrrrrr more boring than it was!
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Re: Strega?

When they was going out to test run the engine, I saw Tiger, and yes, he was in great spirits. I would venture to say that he was a better mood than the rest of the team. I think was great to see him, and the witch back together at the races.

I do so hope to see them next year.

Lonnie

Comment

Working...
      X