making metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making metal

How many screens are on a Merlin? Radial? When metal shavings are found, can someone determine what particular part/parts are failing without a total disassembly?

Re: making metal

Originally posted by mailman77327
    How many screens are on a Merlin? Radial? When metal shavings are found, can someone determine what particular part/parts are failing without a total disassembly?
    The kunos have between 10-20 screens depending on the engine. The key is to determine what kind of metal you have. Is it hard is it soft? Any metal is not good, but some can be minor, yet some types can be very bad. So to answer the question yes you can tell what is failing by what is in the screen.

Comment

And some may have part numbers.....

Comment

Radials have a main inlet screen for oil entering the engine.In addition there is a main outlet screen to pick up the really big chunks.Then they also have finger screens (so named because of their size and shape)for each section,Nose case,power,blower and accessory.

Comment

I am curious......so I am going to ask so that some one in the know can answer.

I know the racing engines of today are highly modified and producing power levels/stresses waaaaaaay more than the engines did in thier stock form.
          My question is.....is this why it seems that "making metal" from these race engines seems to occur so frequently? I can't imagine that the stock radials and Merlins had the same frequency of "making metal" back in the 40s in thier stock configurations.

Comment

Working...
          X