X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Motors

Newbie here-
    Does anyone know if they soup up the jet motors
    or are the L-39 motors are more or less stock?
    And if they soup 'em up, what is done?
    Thanks!

Re: Jet Motors

I think they have to be stock. How Penney makes Pip Squeak go so much faster than the competition is beyond me.

Comment

I was under the impression this class was similar to T-6/SNJ racin'....bone-stock...only, those suck-n-blows don't sound near as cool!!!
      About the only way to 'soup-up' a jet is to re-program fuel flow.....put enough Kerosene in until just before the tailpipe glows! (OK, it's a little more complex than that...) It's all about heat management. I don't know if you can put water injection on it, though......
      The jets just don't have that...HAPPY 'RENO' SOUND! But, they ARE fast!
      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB
        I don't know if you can put water injection on it, though......
        !
        I'm sure its not used at Reno, but YES water injection can be and has been used on jet engines. 50's era turbojets, and specifically the J-57s used on KC-135s and pre-H model B-52s were absolutely dependent on water injection to get those GLOBs (ground-loving old b******s- a wry term for the J-57 powered KC-135) off the ground. Water injection on jets doesn't prevent detonation because that's not possible with a continuously burning flame, but it DOES allow for more fuel per second to be burned without getting the ITT (inlet turbine temp- the temperature of the gas coming out of the burners and hitting the first turbine stage) so hot that the turbines are damaged. Water also has another beneficial effect in that it adds *mass* to the jet exhaust. Jets produce thrust by accelerating the mass of fuel and air that they ingest out the tailpipe (good old F=MA... if you increase "M" then you get more "F"). Water is denser than either air or Jet-A, so dumping hundreds of pounds of water per minute into that flow very definitely increases thrust in addition to the benefits of cooling the combustion process and reducing ITT to safe levels.

Comment

Working...
        X