Race 22 Mishap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race 22 Mishap

Just got word that there was a pressure bottle accident on Merlin's Magic, major damage to the tail of the airplane... as of this report, no injuries...

Bad week for those guys!

BUMMER!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Race 22 Mishap

It's real bad guys. Her back is broken. I did not see any ambulances but my heart goes out to those guys. They have had such bad luck. We need to do something for them. Is there anyone out there that can work with the Eberhardts and get a donation thing going? It not fair to go out like this.

What can we do?
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

i hope everone is ok. i love that aircraft it is ashame that all this bad luck fell on her.

Comment

Pls. define the "pressure bottle"

BM

Comment

I was standing one row over from them in the Warlock pit when the explosion happened. We felt the shockwave from it< and it is amazing no one was hurt. It blew out both sdes of the fuse, blew the radiators etc out the bottom, broke the tail wheel, and left the rudder and entire lower fuse from the wing back laying on the ground. If you are in the pits tomrow, please go by and donte what you can.

Comment

My wife and I have enjoyed seeing this beautiful aircraft at the races, and we'll look forward to the same in the future. If there is a way for those of us who are not at the races this year to donate towards the rebuild we'd be glad to help out. We're sad to hear about the aircraft, but thrilled that nobody was seriously injured.

Comment

Glad to hear everyone is ok....

Were they servicing the O2 when it went??? Lucky it wasn't a fireball. I wish them the best and look forward to seeing them back next year...

Ask them to stop by and give us updates on the rebuild progress....

Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Race 22 Crew
                Glad to hear everyone is ok....

Were they servicing the O2 when it went??? Lucky it wasn't a fireball. I wish them the best and look forward to seeing them back next year...

Ask them to stop by and give us updates on the rebuild progress....

Warren
                Yes it was an O2 service accident. It is unknown exacty what happened.

Comment

I thought the fuselage was broken too, but this afternoon the aircraft was sitting on its tail wheel. Hope this means the structure is still intact. Considering the damage, its a miracle there were no serious injuries.
                  No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                  http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Whatta rotten string of bad luck! The motor tries to saw itself in half and then this happens.

I got a T-Shirt(which Stu signed even though he was eating lunch!) and boy, did I want to do much more after seeing the damage from the O2 bottle today! They were very thankful when I offered my condolances after the accident.

We were pretty close by and heard(felt!) the boom. Pieces were in the air!

GO
                    Attached Files

Comment

Major bummer! Looks like they've still got a fairly good sense of humor about it all though (better than I would have, at least!): Note the "OUCH" arrows!

Hope to see her back in the air soon, preferably without a string of bad luck like this!
                      --Amy

-Tomcats and Red Mustangs Forever-

Comment

Jim Eberhardt writing - I just met Wayne Sagar - this is the first I have known about the aafo forum. I must say that the reaction to our lousy week has been amazing and heart felt. Thank you.

Special thanks to those of you who have stopped by and purchased a shirt or piece of the engine - all of this goes a long way.

Dad (Stu Eberhardt) turned 70 this year - Reno 2006 was to be a much better year. Race motor was finished and flying early in the year - it ran smoothly. Power settings would be conservative so we could keep it in the air for many race seasons to come. But Monday afternoon at about 400 MPH on the first qualification lap the engine blew - dad brought Race 22 down for a perfect landing. 36 hours later, we had the stock motor back in.

On Saturday the plane was being serviced with O2. When the on-board tank exploded, pieces of the plane were scattered throughout the pit area. The back end of Merlin's Magic was pushed high into the air and the pin holding the tail-wheel pulled - it came crashing down and severely bent the back half of the fuselage and tail section. Miraculously, no one was badly hurt. Bill Haskin (known to us as "Truck-Driver Bill") was standing the closest to the tanks - he lost some hearing and was sent to the hospital - he was released last night and seems to have recovered.

We are not sure exactly what happened - but at this point, it appears that the system was over-pressurized.

Now we begin the process of recovering the airplane. Today (Sunday) we are disassembling the plane (engine, wings, control surfaces, etc...).

The budget to get Race 22 flying again may be beyond our means. So a potential donation fund sounds like a wonderful possibility. I will work with Wayne and get a web site going. As we move forward, I will forward Wayne / AAFO the updates.

Comment

I, and a few others, bought a $15 T-shirt for $20... not much but if everyone did that it could add up pretty quick. I wish you guy's the best and hope to see you on the ramp at Reno next year.
                          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                          My Photos
                          My Ride

Comment

On any other Saturday of the races, I would have been there. Our first stop was always to see Stu and Marilyn, buy the boys their t-shirts, wish them all the best. Couldn't make it this year. *~*~For those who don't know Stu and Marilyn, they epitomize the heart and soul of air-racing. *~*~ They are always there to lend all else a hand, a tool, with a hand shake, a hug, and a smile. From the weekend before the races begin to the celebration and awards dinners they are among the those who have always strived to make the races better. I just Thank God, you are all okay. Count us among the blessed to have known you - and will gladly help any way we can.

Comment

I had taken some of the same pictures myself and it with great sadness to see what happened. Everyone who passed by had words of support and of course, profound empathy for that crew.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X