Fenceline News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenceline News

As most of you know by now, the owner of the property along the fence South of Lemmon Valley Drive has it posted as private property and no trespassing.

I met a few of the regular campers Thursday morning out there and was able to speak with the property owner himself. I received some great hospitality from John & Marlene and all the rest...Thanks!

The point of this post is to relay the info from Bill, the owner of all the nice fenceline viewing area. He is a very nice guy and has to deal with a lot of rude and inconsiderate people on almost a daily basis. There are a lot of dirt bikers and quad riders that have gone as far as bring earthmoving equipment on his land to carve out a motocross track! They have cussed him and spun doughnuts around him while he politely asked them not to ride there. There have been a few bonfires by some of the airrace fans that were also mentioned but.....AND HERE'S THE POINT....He was quick to mention that the campers were very respectful and mostly considerate and is even remorseful about closing the fenceline. He made it a point to mention how good the fans were and I promised to make this post on his behalf. He usually comes out just to check things out and although he is admittedly naive on aircraft, he is a very interesting and intelligent guy. Obviously, once he had to put his foot down, he was forced to exclude everyone from using the area. He's got the land up for sale and can't stand by and let the riders tear up the place. Anyone in his position would do the same.

As Marlene said, "You want to be mad at him but, he's SUCH a nice guy!" She was right on the money. I feel very priveliged to have met Bill and everyone else out there this year. I'll be in the stands this weekend and won't get to see them again until next year. I'm sure we will ring the bell and have a few cold ones next year! BTW, the bell is a sleeve out of a Merlin!

GO

Re: Fenceline News

Thanks for that post, Gary. I learned the same thing when I was out there today. So... the only question I have is, how much does he want for the land? I wonder if we can partner with Wayners to start an "AAFO Trust Fund" to puchase the property and let forum members use it for PRS and the Races each year. Just dreaming...
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
      Thanks for that post, Gary. I learned the same thing when I was out there today. So... the only question I have is, how much does he want for the land? I wonder if we can partner with Wayners to start an "AAFO Trust Fund" to puchase the property and let forum members use it for PRS and the Races each year. Just dreaming...
      Somewhere in the mid 400k range for 80 acres.

Comment

The viewing area on the back-straight section near Red Rock Road was also closed for the most part. I found a small spot near the back of the track that was just outside the property line of the closed-off area, but it was nowhere as near the action as the old areas were. I didn't spend much time out there as a result.

I never got to speak to Bill, the land owner (though I did see him cruising about in his beige Landcruiser a few times). Some folk I spoke to who DID converse with him said that he closed off the land to let it restore naturally, for future sales reasons.

The price and acreage mentioned are aprox. the same as I heard. I also heard the story of the folks who hauled heavy equipment out there to build a motorcycle track. Can you imagine?

His family once owned most or all of the entire racecourse area and surrounding portions of the valley, and it was they who donated or sold land to the military so long ago for the base that eventially became Stead AFB, and later the site of the races.

Also mentioned was that, for some legal reason(s) the 80 acre site could not be subdivided to smaller plots, and rights were available to only allow the digging of one water well on the entire site. This may explain why the fenceline site was never developed over the last 2 decades, even though many homes have sprouted nearby on other lots during that time.

A number of people asked him if they could pay a fee to camp there, but he stated that if he accepted so much as a penny then he would be required to purchase expensive liability insurance, but that Nevada law says that as long as he collects no money from those "squatting" (camping) on his property, then he would/could not be held liable for anything that happens there.

All in all it was a fairly good year for Reno, despite the dropping out of so many unlimited favorites, but losing access to that wonderful spectator site really disappointed a lot of long-time campers. I can only cross fingers and hope it is somehow made available again in some future season. Guess I better start playing the lottery more often.

Until access is granted again (if ever) I will just have to count my blessings that we ever had access out there at all, and that I was able to watch the races from the fenceline for so many years.

Bill, if you ever see this, a big thanks to you and your family for allowing us to borrow your land for one week every year these past decades to enjoy the races close-up. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X