• Show
Clear All

• Sport 2A Gold

1. Blue Thunder
    2. Nemesis
    3. Behel
    4. Dacey
    5. Eldredge
    6. Lynn Farnsworth (44) pulled out lap 5 (I think)
    7. Von Gorte (33) pulled out lap 1
    8. Dan Wright DNS
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Re: Sport 2A Gold

Thanks for that Wild Bill.

Comment

Finally got that ride on the fire truck.... pretty damn sweet I must say
      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
      My Photos
      My Ride

Comment

great to finish first!!!!!!

Comment

What was the delta between 1st and 2nd?
          Congrats
          Tom

Comment

Well, a quick check of RARA shows NO results posted for ANY classes....5 hrs. after the races ended! How lame is that?

Anyway, Blue Thunder's lead was pretty massive, like the length of the ramp. But at the same time sort of insignificant since he had throttled back from running laps in the 350's to 320 mph laps. But about the time John throttled back, Jon Sharp in Nemesis did likewise with the lead remaining about the same. The real race was for 4th (apparently) with Dacey in the Egg shadowing Eldredge in the Glassair for most of the race and then pulling the pass with a lap or 2 to go.

Blue Thunder sounded great. Apparently the belt problems have been solved. I talked to a crew member who gave me some details. It's a single polyvee belt drive on a roots type supercharger. He assures that the loss of the belt will not kill the engine, just knock the power way down. He says the original belt was the wrong style and that was fixed yesterday. The problem with shredding yesterday was due to the plating on the blower pulley peeling off and the edges of the plating tearing up the belt. They fixed that and today's race was the first flight with everything as designed. He said they used a max of 40 inHg. yesterday (about 65% power) and have more in hand when necessary.

Should be interesting on Sunday.
            Joe

Comment

Pretty nice to drive all the way out to Stead from my cozy hotel room to watch John struggle against all odds to maybe eek out a win against the evil minions...

Only to watch him INNILATE the competiton, crossing the finish line about six miles ahead of the nearest airplane and he's at idle...

Crap John.. can't we make a show of it or something..

Just Kidding John, you know I love ya man.. Great seeing you kick ass so convincingly!

Keep it up till Sunday and I'll let you and Jan by us a few beers!!

Wayner
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

A little more on this story....

As of about sunset, as I attended the "smoke oil party" in the cold pits (thanks Jimmy!)...

*someone* was running up the Greenamyer airplane and, it was basically "puking" or "belching" under power..

That's all.. don't know any more.. No rumor, that's what I heard. Did NOT sound good when they pushed it..

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Any word on why Von Grote Pulled up?
                  Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
                    Any word on why Von Grote Pulled up?
                    Thanks
                    I heard that a hose came off the intercooler. Blue Thunder had almost half a lap on Sharp but neither were pushing it. Mostly correct on the informative supercharger post, but not 100% accurate in the MAP and throttle %. We have had other issues and we don't know if they are fixed but the belt seems okay now. Parker will be test piloting tomorrow....
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Bill,

don't know if you heard him running up or not this evening. Was down at Jimmy's pit using a big straw on the "Smoke Oil"...

"Someone" was running up the "ChiaPet" airplane and it kept POPPING big time whenever they added power..

Maybe the "Popping" made the hose come off rather than the other way round?

Hate to see John win it without the "ChiaPet" plane there but a win is a win!

And our "PappaPaker" certainly deserves that yellow jacket now don't he!

Wayner
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The hose came off the turbo to intercooler on the 44 plane (farnsworth).
                        The 33 plane had a mag go bad. There should be some pic of the night run, I know I wasnt the only person out there with a camera. The replacement mags came off a lancair at reno international, but one of the replacements was missing two teeth on the timing gear. The replacements were used for the day, until new mags arrived the following night.

Comment

Working...
                        X