sport class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sport class

Whats up with the NXTs? For years we've been promised breathtaking speeds and sport class dominance and yet the fastest NXT is a good 23 mph slower than the top dog in sport gold. I've been following John Sharps dominance in F1 for many years and believe me its not his nature to hold back.
    Thursday night prediction,
    Sport Class, Sundays Gold

DGs Legacy, 1st
    TM, (CONVINCINGLY) , 2nd
    NXT, distant 3d

Tom

Re: sport class

I would not worry about Nemesis. Checkout the post on http://www.nemesisnxt.com. There are a couple of hints in there...

"Stock Engine and no ADI!"
    "a stock Lycoming TIO540 " not the TSIO540-NXT???
    and most importantly...
    "rumor has it that there is more power to be had"

I am sure we will see Nemesis what the NXT is capible of by Sunday...

Comment

HMMMM 360 mph out of stock NXT kit no adi or water to cool the oil? What speed does a stock Legacy go? Or stock Thunder Mustang for that matter.

We are just getting started!!!!!!

kee
      http://www.kevineldredge.com
      http://www.myairport.com
      sigpic

Comment

I've wanted to post this for awhile.......

After seeing Kevin hold the brakes last year and bring the tail up from a dead stop(whatta showman!) I was quite impressed. Not to mention his race performance, after the heat he personally came up into the stands and passed out T-shirts to as many kids as he could. WHAT A CLASS ACT!

Sure sorry the NXT was unable to compete this year. The effort to come back with the Glassair is also another clue; this guy is for real!

Way to go Kevin and I can't wait til next year!

GO

Comment

Why would anybody show up to the greatest spectacle in air racing with a STOCK engine and no adi.? The airplane is supposed to be the byproduct of Lockheed and even RUMORED to have had a session in the wind tunnel at Moffett. Its not like this is the first year out for Nemisis NXT. Relentless I can understand, they're fairly new to the NXT.
          Believe me when I say I am and have been a long time supporter of the NXT effort, would love to see it at its potential. But

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
            Why would anybody show up to the greatest spectacle in air racing with a STOCK engine and no adi.? The airplane is supposed to be the byproduct of Lockheed and even RUMORED to have had a session in the wind tunnel at Moffett. Its not like this is the first year out for Nemisis NXT. Relentless I can understand, they're fairly new to the NXT.
            Believe me when I say I am and have been a long time supporter of the NXT effort, would love to see it at its potential. But

Tom
            The Nemesis race engine was on display in the Lycoming tent. The head of the Lycoming Thunderbolt division (Experimental and racing engines) was completely forthcoming about that fact that they were having problems with the electronic igition, but that the "race" engine would be a monster, i.e., lost of custom parts, etc., etc. That's why Jon raced the "stock" 540-NXT. The race engine should be very interesting! Then there's the IO-780 sitting bolted to an NXT fuse in front of the tent -- WO! Evidently the sport class rules will bump up the engine size allowing the 780 (a stroked IO-720, 400 hp, stock), which should be very intersting, too! (Looks like a mini-Dreadnought.) 'Course, there's the coming "chopped" NXT from Aerochia that should be ready next year. The top Sport guys will be over 400 mph very soon, maybe even next year.
            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

"Have patience ,grasshopper, patience !"

Comment

Race 33 didn't seem to have much trouble getting HP out of their engine for the last couple of years, what do they know that Lycoming doesn't? BTW the lancair is a true 2 place cross county airplane that is being modified for racing. the NXT is special purpose airplane designed for only one thing, Winning Reno. If you don't believe that go to Oshgosh and check out all the Legacys in the lancair area, then go find the NXT tent.
                Anyone wanna bet we'll be having this same discussion after next years races?
                Tom

Comment

There is not enough space to oultine the modifications to 33 engine. It is truly a work of art and function. I shake Andy's hand everytime I see him because I know the amount of work it takes to do what they do.

The NXT is the future in our class and the reason there are no tents ot Oshkosh is because we will only build 4-5 kits a year and ramping up production is more important to me than selling kits right now. The NXT was definately built for racing but mark my words, the next few to finish will be the ultimate in sport aircraft. I cannot describe how much fun it is to fly.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Osif
                    I've wanted to post this for awhile.......

After seeing Kevin hold the brakes last year and bring the tail up from a dead stop(whatta showman!) I was quite impressed. Not to mention his race performance, after the heat he personally came up into the stands and passed out T-shirts to as many kids as he could. WHAT A CLASS ACT!

Sure sorry the NXT was unable to compete this year. The effort to come back with the Glassair is also another clue; this guy is for real!

Way to go Kevin and I can't wait til next year!

GO
                    Thanks for the kind words.

I made it to the second best seat in the house at Reno dropping down the chute in the back of the Gold race on Sunday. That Glasair III really performed and I am looking forward to giving it back to it's owner with the new upgrade! It is almost fast now!

Although it was hard now to bring Relentless the year was a huge success for the NXT project and I look forward to the coming year.
                    sigpic

Comment

I stopped by to congratulate Mr. Sharpe after the win, Sunday evening. He was still grinning ear-to-ear.

I asked if he had some more speed in her and he rattled off three things right off the top, the only one of which I remember is ADI. My own take on the short discussion was they were looking to have a week long run with no airframe problems and they would then work on turning the wick up. The airframe indeed worked well all week.

I wish I'd asked what his take was on the sport class upping the CI, I wonder if he'd consider running one of those big-'ol 8 cylinders Lycoming was showing off bolted to an NXT, in the pits.

Way to go Team Nemesis!!!

Gerry

Comment

What, 360 mph isn't fast enough?
                        To be honest, I didn't realize that Jon Sharp was even going that fast. His engine and prop certainly didn't have the snarl of DG's 33. Which is precisely my point; now that the airframe is "dialed in" the power will be increased. Jon Sharp is a competitor - does 9 Formula 1 championships mean anything - so I fully expect to see more speed from his NXT, and the other NXTs, over the coming few years (I wish I could afford one).
                        I'm also quite certain that John Parker is a fierce competitor and we have yet to see the max speed from 351.
                        We also know that Darryl G. doesn't know the meaning of slow.
                        I'm already looking forward to next year's Sport Class.

Comment

Working...
                        X