Precious Metal Speed Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metal Speed Question

Based on previous Reno's, what do you think PM would have qualified at if Ron had taken her up and called for the clock? Has this plane gone over 400 in the recent past? I would have thought PM would have easily won the Medallian today over the Super Corsair

Re: Precious Metal Speed Question

Yes he has gone 410. I think he's just chillin".

Comment

Prcious Metal flew from last to second in today's Bronze heat.... He looked like he was lagging behind at the start, and then just turned it up a little... for second...

Comment

They're actin like they're filming a movie or something.

First get the great comeback scene, PM almost catching the Corsair... What's tomorrow's scene?

Comment

KB,

The stats kind of tell a story but probably not the whole story.

To begin with, when this Griffon Precious Metal (a different airplane from the original PM) debuted in 1988 with Don Whittington it qualified at a then very hot 453.437. The rest of that year was a disaster.

It came back in 1995 and Whittington qualified at just 380.951. It managed a sixth in the Gold at 390.456.

Ron brought it in 2002 and qualified at 383.752.
          In 2003 at 389.153. But it did win the Bronze that year at 407.200.
          In 2004 the qualifying speed was 405.524. Earned a 3rd place trophy in the Silver at 407.937.

Except for Phoenix and an attempt or two at the 15km record that about sums up the racing history. Surely with some clean up and desire the 450-range is very doable again you'd think.

There was talk earlier in the year of PM going to Bakersfield (I think) for major clean-up work. I guess with the Bear ride beckoning, and the movie offer it never happened.

Comment

Listening to the crew today after their laps they were not supposed to race PM. Ron put all of his time into the RB. Basically PM had sat, then they learned that they could fly her and after passing "inspection" for a dumb term, started at the back of the field........ With the field this year, I feel that she could bump up into the Gold, may finish towards the end but that is my two cents...... Sure was nice to hear rounding the pylons today with that Griffon.......

WRL

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit
              Listening to the crew today after their laps they were not supposed to race PM. Ron put all of his time into the RB. Basically PM had sat, then they learned that they could fly her and after passing "inspection" for a dumb term, started at the back of the field........ With the field this year, I feel that she could bump up into the Gold, may finish towards the end but that is my two cents...... Sure was nice to hear rounding the pylons today with that Griffon.......

WRL
              Personally I hope that Ron B wins the whole damn thing in his mount. Press on sir!!! Still love yer style!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the scoop on PM. I'm looking forward to seeing her fly this weekend as I haven't seen a Griffon in action since my first Reno in 1979 (the last flight of the Red Baron). Unfortunately I missed all of the Reno appearances of Miss Ashley II.

Curious as to how Whittington had PM honkin at 450+ in 1988 and the speeds haven't been close since? I'll be rooting for Ron and PM to make a charge into the Gold on Saturday or Sunday

Comment

Ron won todays silver heat from the back of the field. BTW...my PM tee shirt says it will do 530mph...lol
                  Sky Critter

Comment

PM looked and sounded great today. Very strong.
                    _________
                    -Matt
                    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by KB Adkins
                      Curious as to how Whittington had PM honkin at 450+ in 1988 and the speeds haven't been close since? I'll be rooting for Ron and PM to make a charge into the Gold on Saturday or Sunday
                      The engine has all sorts of horsepower to play with...it's just that the prop governor and associated systems don't function well in the high RPM environment required to go that fast. Yes, Don cranked out a 453 in qualifying in 1988. After that, he flew exactly ZERO laps in the Friday heat, two laps in the Saturday heat before pulling out with a 'precautionary' Mayday, and then when he pushed up the power/RPM for the start on Sunday, he blew the thing to hell.

Ron could do the same...but he would get the same results because that engine/prop combo just won't live at high RPM. That has always been the achilles heel of the Griffon birds with the Shackelton props.

Comment

Working...
                      X