Have limits been met?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have limits been met?

I'm saddened at the the prospect of the known "biggest guns" being grounded. My question is......
    Are we seeing a trend in the reaching of 'fatigue limit' on these blocks,jugs,rotating internals,reciprocating masses,et al....? Most, if not all of the powerplants have already enjoyed a long service life and are being reground into potent "weapons of mass-entertainment"! 120inHg manifold pressures, NOX,methanol and those 'special mixtures' the big-brains come up with,I know somewhere in the melee, metal fatigue HAS to rear its ugly head....or, is it, the axiom "The devil is in the details"..

Bottomline: I just want to see....two feet climb in, two feet climb back down!

Remember: Speed is life!
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Re: Have limits been met?

Hells bells..... back in the day, i saw stock rr stacks that were getting blown away from the heat or exhaust pressures when maps were continually being bumped up

BM

Comment

Lurking for soooo long definitely clouded my judgement! Y'all will have to tell me......every once in a while.....I'm full of it!

THIS IS RACIN'....STUFF BREAKS WHEN YOU GO FAST!!!!!!!!!!

As long as there's no "Metal (Glass?)/ Earth contact, I'm happy....

-oliver
      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB
        My question is......
        Are we seeing a trend in the reaching of 'fatigue limit' on these blocks,jugs,rotating internals,reciprocating masses,et al....?

metal fatigue HAS to rear its ugly head....or, is it, the axiom "The devil is in the details"..
        While metal fatigue can always be an issue particularly when dealing with engine components of this age. The inspection process that these engine components undergo is very extreme, It takes hours and lots of outside process, Magnaflux, Xray, etc. to prepare the parts used in these engines. On the Rolls Royce Merlin engines with the Allison rods, the rods start out with the best available components that Mystery Aire, and Air Sparrow could find. The pistons are of new manufacture as are the bearings. Yes the Transport cases have been through the mill and 99 percent of them are ultra-high time. But in my experience the preparation is absolutely the key ingredient. By the way the current Crankshaft, Master Rods, link rods, and reciprocating assembly in the Rare Bear engine on the plane now started out as brand new for this engine from Curtiss Wright wrappers. there are parts out there and a good number are drying up for the 3350, and have dried up for the Merlin. But necessity will prevail. Thanks for your time.
        John Slack

Originally posted by SpinB
        Remember: Speed is life!
        While that is a goos quote I always liked, "Racing is life, everything else is just waiting"

Enjoy the weekend guys
        John Slack

Comment

Hey John.. are you here?

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,
            No, I'm at home watching you guys give me the ungarbled, and sometimes biting my tongue. But I think I miss the sounds, smells, and friends. if it weren't for the RARA politics.
            John Slack
            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
              Wayne,
              No, I'm at home watching you guys give me the ungarbled, and sometimes biting my tongue. But I think I miss the sounds, smells, and friends. if it weren't for the RARA politics.
              John Slack
              Crap John.. cold wind and all, Jimmy hosted a "smoke oil" party this evening.. Shoot, there's still a trash can of it left sitting in his pit!

Man, it ain't the same with you not here bud..

Kallio is coming up for two days.

How bout you make it in for Sunday???

ONE DAY!

You belong here John!

Wayner
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
              X