Scotty G's Unleashed Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotty G's Unleashed Racer

I found this article on the net today about the engine in the Lancair 360 of the Sports Class. I don't understand half of what is being said, but if I'm allowed to read between the lines, and throw in some conjecture, are they saying they don't have this thing optimized yet and they think they can find some more speed? I see he's toward the bottom in Quals. So, for the guys there in Reno this week - can he be competitive? Or does it take a year or two to work the kinks out and become competitive? Educate me!
    Mike S
    www.indyairshow.com
    www.indytransponder.com

Re: Scotty G's Unleashed Racer

Depends on what you mean by competitive. Will it make the bottom half of the bronze ? probably, will it ever be a gold contender? NO.
    Tom

Comment

From a strategic marketing perspective, Superior has to establish the presence of the brand this year and Reno is THE place to do it. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there were another machine in the works for next year that can handle the big power of a maxed-out six-banger! (BTW, I have ZERO inside info on any of this.)

Nonetheless, it's all good for the sport of air racing!

"Stroking" an IO-360 up to IO-400 (or XP-400) is a brilliant move -- more cubes from the same weight, or nearly so. Or in my case with a Long EZ, going from an IO-320 to and IO-340. I currently have a RR O-240 of 130 hp. If I were to drop in an IO-340, I'd be up to 185 hp with an additional 30-40 lbs of engine weight. H*ll yes! (Too bad it's not in my budget right now!)
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Thank you for the reply Peashooter. I'm an IT guy, so learning all this engine stuff is gonna take some time.
        Mike S
        www.indyairshow.com
        www.indytransponder.com

Comment

Scotty's got what I believe is the fastest ever 4 cylinder powered aircraft in the Sport class and the fastest ever Lancair 360 at Reno. The airframe certainly is not meant for 300+ mph and I don't think it would be taken there without some serious analysis, research and work. Basically, the thought is to do more with less and make a racer that compete in the Bronze with a great engine.

Michael

Comment

Working...
          X