Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first time at the Races...any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first time at the Races...any advice?

Hey guys,

I have wanted to go the the reno air races for over 10 years but high school and college have always been my priority. For the last two years I have watched these chat groups everyday during the race week waiting for updates and pictures. Finally this year I am going to the races and I'm ecstatic.

I can't wait to get some pit passes and check out the action but I was wondering if there is anything else that I shouldn't miss? I'm a newbie and have no idea what to expect. Maybe some seasoned veterans of the air races can give me a couple pointers?

And for all those that will be watching the action from www.AAFO.com like I have in the past, I promise to take and post a bunch of pics when I get back. The more pics the merrier

Re: My first time at the Races...any advice?

Bring lots of $$. A lot of the teams have t-shirts, hats and much more. Every Year I tell myself that I am going to be good, but I end up spending lots of dough on shirts.

I took my 4 year old son for his first Reno last year. This year, he a young veteran, and he absolutely loved the pits. Being able to talk with the crew and pilots, just the entire experience to be around. It is priceless.

Both my Father and I are Pilots, and going to Reno, being able to talk Shop with so many other pilots, race fans, etc..

There is so much, as you know. My advice is bring the dough. You will be glad you did.

God Speed getting there!

Comment

Go early. Stay late. A good hat is essential. Good shoes if your'e not used to walking on tarmac all day. Make friends with other earlybirds on the rope line of the Unlimited pits in the early hours. Look for the guys on that line in the pits with the earplugs to their receivers, lots of camera gear, lots of patches and pins. These guys are the die hard fans and geeks, and will welcome you to the club if you aren't too pesty right away. You'll see them every year in probably the same spots, and in a few years they will save a place for you if you are late.

Plan your hikes back to the car and distant places like the Rolls Royce Heritage static display area during long stretches between good racing but be quick. Better to tour the vendors stands, Formula hangar, Sport hangars, Thunder hangar, and other attractions in short repeated visits than to linger too long in one area the first year out. If you stay too long away from your spot on the rope or your choice early claimed seat you'll surely miss something you'll wish forever you didn't.

I could go on but lastly...NEVER leave your viewing spot between the first Unlimited Class takeoff and the last racer landing of any Unlimited Class event!

Comment

Be prepared for it to be hotter than hell (as it was today) or cold enough to snow. Never come to reno with only shorts and no coat! By the way a cold front is expected to come through the area Friday and drop temperatures by as much as 25 degrees. This weekend could be either really pleasant or really nasty. In 25 years at Reno I have seen howling winds, freezing rain, and as recently as 2 years ago a dusting of snow the morning after the races. Be prepared!

Comment

Great suggestions! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Anything else?

Comment

Go to the Pylon Bar in the (former) Reno Hilton by the airport if you want to bump into pilots.
            Go to Mama Cassales "Halfway House" for dinner.

Comment

Go the the Dago pit on Thursday!
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

If you're bringing a camera, make sure to bring lots of film or a big memory card (or cards). This will be my 10th year and I always end up shooting more film than I expect to. If you want to check out the static displays, early in the day is usually better since there's less crowds. And I strongly second the comments from Rampman about the weather. I DID come to the races 2 years ago in shorts and no coat, and I darn near froze to death. Be prepared for anything!

And I guarantee you will never forget the first time you see and hear a wound up Mustang (or Sea Fury, or Bearcat) come around pylon 8 and past the home pylon...
                Mark Johnson
                Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

You will be in hot,dry and high environment. Its very important to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids. Also, make sure you use sun screen. If you are like me you will be outdoors for over 10 hours. When you are sitting in the grandstands the sun will be high and behind you so take special care to protect you neck and face. A hat is a must. All the other advice you have received is spot on. Especially the part about bringing lots of money! See you all on the ramp Satuday morning!!

Comment

Re: Weather Forecast

Yep, the weather is going to change. It going from 90's to mid 60's by Friday.

Comment

Great advice everybody!

Two more things...

Don't miss the Formula and Sport hangers at the west end of the field. Or the static area at the far east end.

When you get tired and need to relax from running around in the pit areas, sit in the General admission grandstands to watch the races or whatever aerobatic act is up.
                      and now for the rest of the story....

Comment

and watch out for the section 3 crazies
                        ok i give what happens on thursday in the dago pit???
                        hey dago shirts on sale yet?? and if soo how late they open?
                        www.renosection3.com

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
                          ok i give what happens on thursday in the dago pit???
                          Eric Martin said elsewhere that there would be "eye candy" there starting on Thursday.
                          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Stop by the Rare Bear pit and say hi!

Don
                            'Bear Hauler'
                            Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
                            Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

Thanks guys for all the great advice. It sounds like I'll be getting plenty of exercise this weekend . I can't wait! I will also be sure to stop by the Bear tent also Don. Thanks for welcoming me!

Comment

Working...
                              X