Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Thunder

Here is a new fan report for Blue Thunder:

There have been a number of rumors regarding Blue Thunder this year. Some of these rumors will be answered tomorrow. For now, hang in there. Also we plan to post updates from Reno to the link above as well as here at AAFO.

See you at Reno,
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Re: Blue Thunder

Bill,

Looking forward to the news tomorrow and (maybe?) a new record qualifying time!

I know AAR was expecting at least 5 flying Thunder Mustangs this year.
    Did that happen, and if so who is/are the new guy(s)?

Thanks,

Lowell

Comment

with any luck i will be there tomarrow to help for most of the day
      www.renosection3.com

Comment

Blue Thunder has qualified ... official times to come
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

Just got back from the ERA hanger... times are...
          33 - 354.736
          351 - 353.642
          3X - 351.565

We'll have to wait `till Sunday to see who has what left
          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
          My Photos
          My Ride

Comment

that is a close field
            well you know my feelings on the matter...
            Go BLUE
            www.renosection3.com

Comment

There will be 4 flying Thunder Mustangs here. The other three will arrive in formation today after the air races.

Here it is folks, time to post the truth....

Blue Thunder has twin superchargers. Over the past few days we have had trouble with the belt that drives them. We have shredded a few and made our goal today, to qualify, which we did. We think we have the belt issue figured out, but we will know for sure on Monday. Shredding a belt is not cool.

The other day we had a catastrophic failure of both supercharger. We know exactly what happened and have fixed that issue. So yes, we are on our second pair.

We have had a few other gremlins in the engines that we are chasing down. We are quite happy with our 2nd place qualifying.

We have a lot of potential, but need time to reach that potential. Will we get it all dialed in before Sunday? I hope so.
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

glad to see you guys got up i was starting to get a little worried. best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                  Blue Thunder has twin superchargers.
                  "Twins, Basil!"
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                  World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by integ29
                    glad to see you guys got up i was starting to get a little worried. best of luck
                    How's that knee? Can't you hobble here? MRI.... whatever, just walk it off. Sissy.
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Wow... Twins!

so um... Does this mean you will be handing out the cigars come Sunday afternoon?

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                        Blue Thunder has twin superchargers. Over the past few days we have had trouble with the belt that drives them. We have shredded a few and made our goal today, to qualify, which we did. We think we have the belt issue figured out, but we will know for sure on Monday. Shredding a belt is not cool.
                        Positive displacement (eg. Roots or screw type) superchargers, or centrifugal?

If its a Roots or screw-type, then yikes! Belt shreds = airflow stops = engine stops (for all intents and purposes). At least with a centrifugal supercharger, if the blower stops the engine can still draw in air through it and keep running without boost.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                          At least with a centrifugal supercharger, if the blower stops the engine can still draw in air through it and keep running without boost.
                          Bingo! When the belt shreds a very safe landing can be made and a good amount of manifold pressure is still available.

FLASH: There will be 5 flying Thunder Mustangs. Wayne (Solo) Richards and his wife Shirley just landed in their Thunder Mustang, the old Gunther Balz one.

Malcolm, George, and Tom will arrive soon.
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Bill,

This is very painful missing this year! Really wanted to see Gunther's gorgeous Thunder Mustang the first time it came to Stead.

Who do you think will be the next one to go thru PRS and enter their ThM at Reno? Any ideas? PM me if it is just rumor.

If you see any snapshots of Tony Andrew's new Thunder over the week try to get a scan or a digital of the snapshot.

Thanks!

Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
                              Bill,
                              Who do you think will be the next one to go thru PRS and enter their ThM at Reno? Any ideas? PM me if it is just rumor.

Lowell
                              Gaston, Giboney, and Thompson have all expressed interest in racing. Gaston was seriously thinking about PRS this year but there were still some grimlins. I will tell you this, those three spent the past few days in formation training at Carson City.

I'll try to get some photos up tonight, but it is very difficult to do because there is only so much I can get away with on my company laptop.
                              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Working...
                              X