Status of the Bear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status of the Bear.

Okay, Dago and Strega are there and supposedly in good shape.

A little birdy tells me the Bear is bleeding oil...well, more than normal anyway.

Are we going to have a big 3 (or 4) race this year?

What's the status from the Bear Cave?

Pulling into the RV lot on Tuesday Night, hope to see some of the AAFO crowd.

Don

Re: Status of the Bear.

Originally posted by hattend
    Okay, Dago and Strega are there and supposedly in good shape.

A little birdy tells me the Bear is bleeding oil...well, more than normal anyway.

Are we going to have a big 3 (or 4) race this year?

What's the status from the Bear Cave?

Pulling into the RV lot on Tuesday Night, hope to see some of the AAFO crowd.

Don
    What spot yall be at? I know we will be in lot #18 just cant remember the row letter. Help me out Nick! We will be pulling in Weds afternoon.

Comment

Lot 1 Row "P" spot 18

Comment

Is any one here camping in the optomitrist lot? my crew is camping there for the first time as St. Michaels have become ****ers.

Comment

Dunno, didn't see her until I was getting ready to leave.... This is all I got.........
          Attached Files

Comment

Brother talked to Ron a little bit. I guess he was at 2700 rpm, near takeoff speed and the engine burped a bit. He added more power and it burped allot, so he aborted the takeoff.

They pulled bear out this afternoon and did a run up wit cowlings off to 2400 on the ramp and all seemed well. After that they were towing it to the far end of the field for a tiedown and run up to 2800 to ensure all is well. Seems they think it was something in the fuel delivery system. If all goes well they will test fly again this evening.

He did note that there appears to be more oil than usual. Hope for the best.

Comment

Thx for the info glider90....mucho appreciated!

Comment

Hi All

Not much to add as some first hand info is already here.

What I saw: The Bear appeared to start up normally for the first UL session late in the morning. Ron B. started a takeoff roll but never took to the air, rolling out and being towed back to the cave with heavy oil coming from the right side exhaust. (didn't see the left side so can't comment on that.) Later in the afternoon, they were working in the top of the cowl behind the wall and down on the inboard end of the left wheel well. They came out later in the afternoon for a cowl-free runup as imaged by Wilnit. They rolled right by me afterward, I asked the fellow walking the wingtip if it ran up OK, he said yep and they were running down to the east end of the tarmac for a high-power runup. (picture below) When they got back to the cave they were cleaning up a lot of oil still and I overheard a couple of crew making mention of a carb among other things. I didn't ask as they were all quite busy.

Hope to hear more later. BTW check out the bitch'in ceiling fans in the cave.

Cheers
                Gerry
                Attached Files
                Last edited by G. van Dyk; 09-11-2006, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus
                  Is any one here camping in the optomitrist lot? my crew is camping there for the first time as St. Michaels have become ****ers.

We're using the Optimists RV lot. Lot 2, Space 8 and 9 (My box mates are taking a trailer as well)

We're also in Box A-81 during the week.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Nick
                    Lot 1 Row "P" spot 18
                    Correction spot 13... ...and we too are in the Optimist Lot

Comment

Originally posted by G. van Dyk
                      Hi All

Not much to add as some first hand info is already here.

What I saw: The Bear appeared to start up normally for the first UL session late in the morning. Ron B. started a takeoff roll but never took to the air, rolling out and being towed back to the cave with heavy oil coming from the right side exhaust. (didn't see the left side so can't comment on that.) Later in the afternoon, they were working in the top of the cowl behind the wall and down on the inboard end of the left wheel well. They came out later in the afternoon for a cowl-free runup as imaged by Wilnit. They rolled right by me afterward, I asked the fellow walking the wingtip if it ran up OK, he said yep and they were running down to the east end of the tarmac for a high-power runup. (picture below) When they got back to the cave they were cleaning up a lot of oil still and I overheard a couple of crew making mention of a carb among other things. I didn't ask as they were all quite busy.

Hope to hear more later. BTW check out the bitch'in ceiling fans in the cave.

Cheers
                      Gerry

Looks like the "normal" amount of oil on the side of the Bear.

Comment

And when the Bear pulled off the runway, he shut it down, on the access road, and towed it back...
                        When they towed it just past us, the left side had lots of oil on it...

Of note... the bear appeared filthy dirty, before they flew it...shockingly dirty..like no one rubbed it down... it looked abused.... sad really...

Optimist's lot D 4, 5, and 6...

..the main Proprty at V.O.S. is definately shutdown...no tresspassing signs, and armed property owner...

Comment

Didn't see the final run up yesterday afternoon, but after the abort they had the inlet off the top of the carb and were looking down the hole. Plane was probably dirty because they replaced something like six jugs in the run up to qualifying.
                          Attached Files
                          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

I love Da Bear, nothing like hearing her push all that air out of the way at warp speeds BUT, why all the drama, doesn't the Bear live in Stead? why do they always wait till the last minute to ramp up and go racing. Shoulda had all this worked out way before now. Bad Bad Bear.
                            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                              As has been said several times in the past...they're a low-budget (no offense intended) team that accomplishes miracles with folks who are dedicated to the plane and VERY limited parts. Gotta cut them a break on this....sometimes you just run out of seconds.
                              That is so true. It's just painful for fans who want the Bear to do well... it hurts to see her and her team struggle like that, especially when we consider her speed potential!
                              _________
                              -Matt
                              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
                              X