Google video crash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google video crash...

Sorry, a little OT...but does anyone know the story behind this clip? It appears & sounds genuine. Can any of you pilots out there offer an explanation? I can't figure out why this was being taped in the first place - pilot's first takeoff??

Crash **warning** may not be suitable for viewing by all members of the family

Sorry about the Persian Zone text accompanying the clip - I don't support what Iran is up to these days!

Re: Google video crash...

If I remember right, they took off with the gust locks still in place.

It's been a while... fuzzy memory

Don

Comment

Thanks, hattend - I Googled "gust lock" and you were correct:

Control Lock

Sad.

Comment

That was in Canada and it was a test flight of a new modification to the aircraft. The modification was an engine change and as part of the change there was some type of modification to the throttle quadrant. They had the locks in the throttle disconnected. If everything had been in place they would have never been able to advance the throttles with the gust-lock engaged.

Comment

Just my opinion, but posting links to fatal aircraft accident videos is not really appropriate for this forum, especially right now just before a big aviation event.

That's not the kind of stuff I would like to see right now....I've seen too many good people lost at past reno events, and I'm praying everyone makes it home safe and sound this year.

Is Wayne monitoring the forum from Reno, or is it just a free-for-all here until he returns?

Comment

The post reads "Google video crash". If you don't want to watch it don't click on it.
            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
              Just my opinion, but posting links to fatal aircraft accident videos is not really appropriate for this forum, especially right now just before a big aviation event.

That's not the kind of stuff I would like to see right now....I've seen too many good people lost at past reno events, and I'm praying everyone makes it home safe and sound this year.

Is Wayne monitoring the forum from Reno, or is it just a free-for-all here until he returns?
              Yea, I'm here.. As was stated, the link is outside here...

I'm of the opinion that I don't particularly like seeing that stuff either... but..

If it gets one pilot to think longer and more carefully, then it's a good thing. "kick the tires and light the fire" never really works does it.

Pre-flighted my truck to day.. which consisted of kicking the tires, adding gas and washing the windows. I'll check the oil before I start out in the morning, maybe...

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Personally, I have that exact video etched into the back of my mind EVERY DAY before I take off. The thought of that crash ensures that I accomplish a thorough flight control check. I have showed that video to my students who failed to thoroughtly check flight controls before takeoff -- and they never forget it after that, either.

It's not inappropriate in the least if someone learns from it. Aviation is inherently a dangerous business -- pretending that it isn't doesn't make it any safer.

Comment

Good to hear, Wayne...I thought you were leaving today....I'll be on my way Saturday morning myself.

Pardon my comments. I was under the impression that you were against such links to lethal accidents being posted here. My mistake.

Tin Man, true, it says "....crash", but to give viewers fair warning it should more appropriately say "FATAL crash" in the subject title, or at least somewhere in the text of the first post containing the link. Give folks a little warning of what they are about to see is all I'm saying. If it were a non-lethal crash video, say like Miss America's accident in 2002, then I never would have voiced my objection.

I HAVE seen that clip before too, and I still clearly recall the chills I felt as the plane made it's final plunge towards the ground. I can imagine that there are plenty of members who would NOT want to see such things, and would appreciate a pre-warning of the clip's contents.

Randy, I've never tried to proclaim or pretend that flying isn't inherently dangerous. Even DRIVING to Stead can be dangerous (some say more dangerous than flying), but that doesn't mean I want to view gruesome car accident videos either. That's all.

If showing this video saves one pilot or passenger's life, then I'm all for it. Just let us know what's it's about first if it involves people dying.

'Nuf sed...

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                    Good to hear, Wayne...I thought you were leaving today....I'll be on my way Saturday morning myself.

Pardon my comments. I was under the impression that you were against such links to lethal accidents being posted here. My mistake.
                    AD.. I'm really sensitive about even talking about things right after they happen, particularly, when folks start to critique the PIC...

I hate to be graphic but the "let the body get cold" sentiment is what hits me at that time...

I know those in aviation as a business NEED to look at the stuff that happens and sooner the better...

Randy and I have disagreed on the timing of this type of "discussion" in the past... I'll still be really touchy when it's someone close to all of us and their families are still in crisis mode and might well read things here that would cause them further distress.

But this link is going to be something that is good for a first timer or an old timer.

Even if you're not the PIC and just a passenger... if your pilot doesn't do a thourough preflight... ask questions!

Seriously..

I've flown with "kick the tires" guys and I've flown with folks who are downright anal about checking and rechecking... which one do I feel safer with..

Anyway..

I'll be watching the boards pretty closely though while in Reno..

Wayner
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Pardon my airplane ignorance, (I am an automotive junky by nature, but a dedicated 15 year Reno air race fan), but wouldn't this gust lock have some kind of warning label/streamer/"remove before flight" pin/etc. hanging from it?

Also, would the lock system hinder the operation of the aircraft during taxi manouvers?

Any info would help clear my limited aircraft knowledge. Thanks, Paul

Comment

I believe it was just the elevators that were locked, which would not affect taxi. That's just a hunch, mind you...

Comment

Yikes - I did not set out to offend or upset anyone, but I can understand AirDOGGe's complaint. We choose whether or not to click on a video link, but it is upsetting when the content blindsides you with graphic content. I have posted many places where I've included a warning about language or nudity in a link - I guess I'll have to be more explicit.

Comment

No offense received.

As an administrator of some non-aviation-game-related forums I guess it's just a habit of mine being 'picky' when it comes to posting something potentially controversial.

I have to deal with lots of kids and adults combined and try to maintain a family-friendly enviroment in those forums, so I'm always watching for inappropriate content.

Wayne does a great job supervising this forum, and if links like this are OK with him, then that's fine with me. I'm no prude, and I have to confess that I already had a copy of this clip saved on my hard-drive before you posted it. No harm done...

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                              Personally, I have that exact video etched into the back of my mind EVERY DAY before I take off. The thought of that crash ensures that I accomplish a thorough flight control check. I have showed that video to my students who failed to thoroughtly check flight controls before takeoff -- and they never forget it after that, either.

It's not inappropriate in the least if someone learns from it. Aviation is inherently a dangerous business -- pretending that it isn't doesn't make it any safer.
                              Randy:Thanks. You just characterized the reason I study every single accident and accident report I can get my hands on.

To all: IMHO the science of accident investigation can be sad, depressing, and sometimes painful, but it's our only hope for continued improvement as safe aviators. You must approach it in a very analytical (read: unemotional) way, in order to learn the most. That's not always easy, especially when friends are involved (as has been my case a few times, and I know the same has happened for folks here on the board all too often), but it is necessary. IMO, when "pilot friends" are involved you must pay extra-close scrutiny to the investigations, because you are more likely to share their bad habits, though perhaps their "luck clock" ran out first.

Sorry to ramble...
                              _________
                              -Matt
                              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
                              X