Red Bull's P-38 update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull's P-38 update

Check out Red Bulls P-38 on ezell's web site,,, ,,http://www.ezellaviation.com/index.htm ,it's really starting to come together,,it's going to be one REALLY nice warbird!!!

Re: Red Bull's P-38 update

Okay, you know what I notice here? Look at the nose piece that was installed. I don't know if it is the original, or 'new'...but there are no gun ports in it. You'd think that with the quality of restoration that Nelson and the guys are giving it, if it was going to be an all-out military restoration, the nose piece would have (by now) had the gun ports cut out and such.

Is there hope after all????

Comment

It will probably be polished metal sans guns. The B-25 is polished metal with no stars and bars and a Red Bull logo on the nose. IIRC, Herr Mateschitz has an issue with his warbirds looking too warlike (yeah, I know the Corsair looks pretty stock).

Mateschitz has a right to do whatever he wants to the airplane. This is just speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
        Okay, you know what I notice here? Look at the nose piece that was installed. I don't know if it is the original, or 'new'...but there are no gun ports in it. You'd think that with the quality of restoration that Nelson and the guys are giving it, if it was going to be an all-out military restoration, the nose piece would have (by now) had the gun ports cut out and such.

The other thing I noticed- look at the cowls. They're not the "correct" P-38J and later version with the intercooler inlet, they're the earlier, sleeker 2-hole style put on N25Y when she was de-turbo'd.

Comment

I don't mind the Red Bull paint job...I'm just happy to see that it'll have the 'racing' nose, and the early model cowlings. I think they were what gave Gary and Lefty's P-38's 'class'.

Comment

Either way, it sure looks like it's going to be quite a nice piece.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Wow!...

She starting to l(o)-(0)k Sexy again!

Comment

WOW!, total class act putting White Lightning together again. Humpty Dumpty would be jealous
                Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                My Photos
                My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon

In some of the shots, it sure looks like some parts might be white alreadly.. unless it's lighting and they are just primered but they sure look white.. also see this page.. http://www.ezellaviation.com/p38.htm

I think that's a Sue Petersen shot (correct me if I'm wrong) but that's a shot of WL as she was... Man-o-Man... I'll buy the first can of RedBull White Lightnin if they put it out!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    In some of the shots, it sure looks like some parts might be white alreadly.. unless it's lighting and they are just primered but they sure look white.. also see this page.. http://www.ezellaviation.com/p38.htm
                    I think that's either paper or cardboard to protect the completed metalwork. I don't think you'd polish the metal to that degree just to paint over it later.

Comment

Really nice job they are doing...but it still ain't gonna be "White Lightning"...and don't ya think it should be??? Paint a Red Bull logo on the vertical stabilizers or on the booms aft of the air scoops but come on....this aircraft is legend....
                      ...going off the rails on a crazy train....

Comment

How about a Red "YIPPEE" type scheme, with REDBULL on the nose and under the wing like "YIPPEE"?

< R E * D B U * L L >

Underwing view

Comment

Me thinks you guys are missing the clues. It appears that this airplane is going to be polished. That "white" that you see is a protective paper applied to keep the handprints and scratches off.

You would never waist the time polishing aluminum that is going to be painted later...............I like it!!!!!

Outa look great all polished and red accents!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by King
                            Me thinks you guys are missing the clues. It appears that this airplane is going to be polished. That "white" that you see is a protective paper applied to keep the handprints and scratches off.
                            Might be but the white, or maybe gray that I was seeing is in the gear well and down around the pedals.. .

It's likely gray but we can hope..

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Lefty's plane was one of my favorites. I grew up in Lemmon Valley and loved watching the planes from my roof. Man, some great memories! I'm glad to see it is being worked on. I can't wait to hear the sound of a P-38 coming around the pylons again!
                              Mike S
                              www.indyairshow.com
                              www.indytransponder.com

Comment

Working...
                              X