IMHO - Jet Racing does not suck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMHO - Jet Racing does not suck.

I normally wouldn't make a post like this, but looking around on the board this morning, I'm amazed by the number of people who continue to insist that L39 racing sucks. I wonder if those people have really taken a good look at the action.

Have you ever watched a Jet class race from the fence? Furthermore, what kind of world do we live in where 440mph, just INCHES apart, often in severe turbulence... is considered BORING??? I'm not sure what kind of world you critics are living in but in my world, the absence of piston/propeller sounds (albethey the greatest airplane sounds in the world) does not mean the Jet class is devoid of raw, kinetic racing energy. While the L39 races of 2005 were less closely-clumped (thus less competitive and less interesting), I think of the really good Jet races (like in 2004) as being like T-6 racing with an extra 200mph stacked on top (and no prop tip noise). In other words- very close, tight, and sometimes nail-biting.

Aside from missing the pure, timeless magic (and sounds, and maydays) of an Unlimited race, and missing the technological SHOVE that is occurring in Sport class, what is the Jet class really missing that makes people hate it? Would it help if occasionally a racing L39 suffered a catastrophic engine failure and had to deadstick in for a downwind landing from the back of the course? Am I the only one who realizes what a privilege it is to be able to watch this type of racing up close?
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Re: IMHO - Jet Racing does not suck.

Hell no! I love 'em. If it flies and goes fast and they race 'em, I'm into it. They are quite dramatic from where I sit. Those things get tossed around in the turbulence like you can't believe. It's some of the best flying we see all year. All you haters sound like a bunch of F'ing kids saying your Mongoose is better than my Schwinn. In the grand scheme of things, THESE ARE RACE PLANES! How the hell can you call yourself an air race fan and not like them? Please.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I think the problem is that from the stands they are,nt as exciting as the other classes. Noise is probably a big factor, and the little details are lost with distance.
      From the fencline they are "Holy S%$#" (my father in-laws quote as he headed back from the fence), a totally different experience.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
        I think the problem is that from the stands they are,nt as exciting as the other classes. Noise is probably a big factor, and the little details are lost with distance.
        From the fencline they are "Holy S%$#" (my father in-laws quote as he headed back from the fence), a totally different experience.

I will agree 100% with that statement. From Air Race Addict "base camp" (a.k.a. "Moon Base Alpha") up by pylon 6, the pace lap is almost orgasmic. I can recall the Jet final from 2004, when they came by, and the gaggle was so clumped tight, that it was like the Blues or T-birds coming by...but they all came wide. My son, Hacker, and I all looked at each other after they had passed and in unison all let out a big "WHOA!!!!!!"

Good stuff, Maynard!

As for the rest of the race, once it gets strung out...well, I tend to agree it does get a tad boring. But that first pass was worth it!

Comment

I will agree that watching the Jets is much better from the fenceline. I've never seen a real race from there, but have watched qualifying and they do a few practice race laps. It's pretty cool when they come around all bunched up. And it seems they sound better out there in the VOS.

Still not my fave, though. Bring back the T-28s!!! Yes, I know they were hard to tell apart - mostly Navy and Air Force schemes, but what a fabulous racket that was!

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell

what kind of world do we live in where 440mph, just INCHES apart, often in severe turbulence... is considered BORING????
            they would rather watch some airshow act and listen to some airshow announcer blab on about nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER
              they would rather watch some airshow act and listen to some airshow announcer blab on about nothing.
              Must be Smoke-N-Thunder fans.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I subscribe to the philosophy: RACINGS RACING......
                " The sins of the father are told by the son"

Comment

Originally posted by AKA HITMAN
                  I subscribe to the philosophy: RACINGS RACING......
                  I'm gonna qualify that statement. If anyone here saw the Helicopter races at Phoenix about 10 years ago.....that wasn't really 'racing'. That was just a bunch of helicopters flying in the same general direction.

Comment

As the jets approach at the fenceline, the first thing you hear is the rumble of the bow wake, which you'll never make out over the sound of a piston engine racer. It's pretty darn cool!
                    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Whether out on "the fence" or in the stands...the first pass is tremendous...but it is one long parade lap afterwards. Has the pace lap leader ever been passed during the Gold Final? I miss the Confederate Air Force demonstration
                      Rampking

Comment

Originally posted by rampking
                        Whether out on "the fence" or in the stands...the first pass is tremendous...but it is one long parade lap afterwards. Has the pace lap leader ever been passed during the Gold Final? I miss the Confederate Air Force demonstration

You know, the CAF Tora routine as a 'stand alone' act gets kind of tedious after a while. But if you get the entire Tora entourage (not just the touring group), mix it in with the 'good guy' fighters taking off to duke it out with the Zeros, and have the B-17 come in for a 'one wheel pass'....then it becomes a lot more fun.

Comment

To me the jet races almost feel scripted. There is no dicing it up position swapping. If you want jets inches apart at high speed bring in another jet team act. I'd trade the Stoli MIGS for jet racing in a heart beat. Or at least make a class that allows different types of jets. Just look at all the interesting conversations that result from "Bear" vs "Stang" vs "Fury" in the unlimited races. It makes the outcome a lot less predicable and the races actually races. Not "Jets on Parade!"

Michele

Comment

Just wait till the SuperCub races........

I've never been to the fence line.......how is the viewing for the airshow and the other races from there??
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl
                              To me the jet races almost feel scripted.
                              LOL... ask Curt Brown and a few others about Mary Dilda and scripted... see what their answer is!

They may not flick some of our bic's but they are not, by any means, a done deal!

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X