Speaking of Announcers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Announcers...

They talk too much, especially as the unlimiteds are passing by the stands. They need to just keep quiet........and bring back Sandy.

Re: Speaking of Announcers...

AMEN !

Comment

I never understood the reasoning (if there is any) for Sandy's dismissal. I sorely miss him every time I hear Gordon's bungled ID of a racer and on-air housekeeping. Every time I see an old video I miss him like Ernie Harwell at a Tigers game... The Red Bull guy was better!

Comment

Eh, I felt like Sandy made a ton of errors too... I remember always complaining about them when I was a kid at the races. That must be a much tougher job than it appears.
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I felt Sandy was a great guy, has a extreme love for the sport and its people, and did his best...but like Matt I felt the errors in the announcing stand were far too numerous and VERY annoying. His experience from like back to day one, was a valuable asset that Reno should not have let go. He just needed a better fit than being the main guy calling actual races.

It must be a far more difficult job than it looks. I would like Sandy back for some color, and interview type work but somewhere out in racing/warbird land there HAS TO BE a better announcer for permanent hire. One of the Denver races had an excellent announcer I remember. Minimum errors, thorough knowledge, and you really wanted to be by a loudspeaker. I went out of my way to find him after the weekend to tell him so.

Lowell Thompson

Comment

I have had the privilege of announcing some of the T-6 races at Reno.
            It is much more difficult to do then you would imagine.
            Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
            RIP 03/17/10

Comment

One of the most difficult things for Sandy (it seemed) was knowing if it was Dennis or Brian flying Dreadnought each year.
              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Mistakes or not, Sandy knew when to be quiet and let us hear what we came to hear. Everyone after Sandy proved how hard it is to call the races.

"Big Voice" has gotten better about this, but he ain't there yet.

Comment

We run into the same 'issue' up here in Seattle for the Unlimited Hydroplane races. There is a legendary radio personality/announcer named Pat O'Day. Once you hear his voice, you will NEVER mistake it for any other...and his voice is engrained in the memory of any hydroplane fan just as baseball will always know Harry Caray, Vin Scully, Mel Allen, and all the greats.

Pat still calls the races for television up here...and he makes a ton of mistakes that the other color guys are always correcting him on. But when it comes down to it, it is STILL Pat O'Day...and its a voice that chills a true hydroplane fan to the marrow because it is, and always will be, 'the voice'.

That is the way I feel about Sandy Sanders. Yes. Made mistakes. Sometimes they were bad. But as R.G. pointed out, it's not as easy as it sounds. And as Chris300s pointed out...when you go back and watch an old video, Sandy is 'the voice'. Always was. Always will be. And I miss hearing him.

We COULD get John Tegler...since he always procliamed himself to be 'the voice of air racing' when he announced at Mojave.

Comment

Similarly, I believe Johnny Kazian was "The Voice" whenever J. Franklin's Mystery Ship was flying... even when he was strapped to the wing, you could still hear his narration in your mind!
                    _________
                    -Matt

Comment

I think the thing that Sandy Sanders had over everything else was the personal connection to the pilots that were involved--he had interpersonal relationships with all of them, and the fact that like all good announcers, he was able to express and voice his enthusiasm for what was going on--not just 'describe' what was happening.

Case in point...I think if you go back to the '91 Gold Race, as things were heating up (I think it's on the last lap, just as Tsunami is starting to make his move), he says "Alllllll right! Here we go!" And it is just pure enthusiasm in the sound of his voice that lets you know he's enjoying this just as much as everyone in the stands is.

I don't hear that these days. And if I do, I don't 'believe' it. That is NOT a knock against the current announcers in the least. It is just saying that Sandy was/is special because he 'lives' this...not just hired for one weekend a year to do it.

Comment

Oooooooooohhhhhhhh Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know you have the crowd when everyone in the grandstand is listening to and repeating your commentary.... Dueling Wacos were a blast to watch and participate in...

Comment

Originally posted by Race 22 Crew
                          Oooooooooohhhhhhhh Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know you have the crowd when everyone in the grandstand is listening to and repeating your commentary.... Dueling Wacos were a blast to watch and participate in...
                          "Jimmy Franklin......Elliot Cross read your book, boy!"

"YOU are the director.....YOU are the producer!"

"Show Centaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh"

One of the corniest airshow acts I have ever seen in my life.....and yet one of my all time favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                            "Jimmy Franklin......Elliot Cross read your book, boy!"

"YOU are the director.....YOU are the producer!"

"Show Centaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh"
                            Oh wow, reading those just gave me some serious chills!
                            _________
                            -Matt

Comment

back to the topic, i said it in one of the other threads.

i seem to recall the bi-plane and F-1 class have somebody come help call a race that KNOWS the planes and pilots. why not the unlimiteds too?

Comment

Working...
                              X