Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first post here

Howdy Folks,

This is my first post here. Been following this site for a couple of years now, and am looking forward to Reno next month. Please allow me to qualify myself as worthy….

1. My first race was as a 12 year old boy. The 1000 mile marathon at San Diego in '72. Hooked me hard.
    2. Been to Reno almost every year since '85. Missed a few years in the mid 90’s. Been photo documenting the races since the beginning.
    3. Named my daughter Erin, after Erin Rheinschild raced Unlimited.
    4. My Dad, Howard Merritt, has attended every year since '85, and has been a Pylon judge since '92.
    5. I’ve read every book on air racing history every published. Praise be to John Tegler and now his son.
    6. Irregardless of their personal peculiarities, I fully believe that Darryl Greenamyer, Alan Preston, Tiger, Lefty, Lloyd Hamlton, Lyle Shelton, David Price, Bob Hoover, Clay Lacy, The Rheinschilds, The Maloney’s, The Sanders, Steve Hinton, Skip, Jon Sharp, Jacqueline Cochran, Ray Cote, and may they rest in peace, Rick Brickert, John Sandburg, Art Vance, Howie Keefe, Bill Speer, John Crocker and Gary Levitz, along with anyone else who has, or will race aircraft, are Gods among mortals. With motor builders and crew chiefs as Guardian supporting Angels.
    7. Check out page one of last years program. That’s my son. If you have seen a better image of the future of air racing anywhere else, let me know.
    8. Used to get there on Monday and spend all week at Stead. These days I fly-up on Thursday afternoon, Pop picks us up at the airport and I spend the weekend behind the Sport class hanger in the motor home with my 9 year old boy and now 12 year old girl who are also the next generation of air racing freaks.
    9. Favorite planes are (were) Stiletto, Tsunami, The Chino Super Corsair, Dreadnot, Precious Metal,
    10. Love the Unlimited, may they fly forever, really like the Formulas and Sport class, enjoy the sounds of the T-6’s, but racing Jets sucks.
    11. I miss the car drop at the end of the day.
    12. Really wish there was a professional race announcer.…..
    13. I fly full scale and own a Cessna 150.
    14. I have personally flown, Rare Bear, Dago Red, Stiletto/Color Tile, Pardue’s Bearcat, The Red Baron, Beguine and Strega. All as R/C models. Been designing, building and flying models, plastic, U-control and R/C since I was 5 years old. Now I sell the stuff as Marketing Director for Hitec and Multiplex. Any modelers out there?

Now, lets go racing!
    and now for the rest of the story....

Re: My first post here

Hi PlaneCrazy! Welcome to posting.. I know there are a bunch of folks who visit and never post, I'd personally love to see more of this sort of message.

Those of you watching and not posting... jump on in, the water's just fine!

Welcome!!!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneCrazy
      12. Really wish there was a professional race announcer.…..
      Ain't that the truth. I think we all miss Sandy. Class act all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead
        Ain't that the truth. I think we all miss Sandy. Class act all the way!
        Ditto

Comment

Welcome to the board!

Come by the Bear race trailer and ask for Don. Always great to hear some new voices around here.

Don
          'Bear Hauler'
          Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
          Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

Yup, what they all said.
            Glad to have you here lil buddy and if you want to, stop by box 96 at sunset one afternoon, have an adult beverage and join in on some of the best BS you have ever heard.

Comment

Welcome Planecrazy

Warbird airshow nut since 1979. My first year at Reno was in '83...Have missed only a couple since.

Became a crewmember on the "Two Of Hearts" Air Race Team in 2004. You won't find a better team on the ramp at Reno (no offense Randy ). We will be back.

Fellow modeler here as well. Been flying for better then 30 years. Started with C/L and moved to R/C. Flying gliders to ducted fans, pylon racing & scale competitions. The hobby has changed alot since my first Futaba 6FN....... Actually, still have 2 of them hehe....

Again welcome,
              Warren

Comment

Hi PlaneCrazy
                I'm pretty much a newby here as well. My first radio was a used Kraft open gimbal set. (yes I go back that long) My favorite back in time was a venerable Futaba 7FGK, but I must admit I am really delighted with my Hitec Eclipse 7 channel and the two or three Flash systems I have.

My only scale racer was a Top Flight Bearcat done up in Howard Pardue colors, that one was a hoot. ;-) Also a couple of non-scale .25 powered HOB Mustangs and scratch Corsairs, also a good time. Also done a fair amount of local and district level Q500 racing and dabbled in Formula 1 back in the day.

I'm about to visit Reno for my first time, hope it won't be my last. Just so happens I have RV stall #77. I was a Bear Fan back in the purple stripe days. Does she still have the purple stick in the cockpit?

Hope you feel as welcome here as everyone has made me feel.

Cheers
                Gerry

Comment

PlaneCrazy, you are now obligated to stop by the Team SteadFast pit before the end of the week and say hello. Nice to hear from guys like you. We also had alot of scale R/C Reno racers. That's how this all started for Red and I.
                  Will Whiteside

Comment

Yep, pleanty of us R/C type guys out here. I am new to posting as well... but been lurking here for ages.

Maybe one day the Cleveland Air Races will return.

At least the Cleveland Air Show is this weekend.

Bob Brassell

Radio-controlled aircraft Radio-controlled jet aircrafts are gaining huge popularity as they are the closest to the real thing. Many generations of boys grew up on movies like Top Gun all we all have to admit, we just love jet planes especially fighter jets. To become a pilot of a fighter jet is super hard, and…Continue reading →

[b]**admin note.. REGISTER REGISTER REGISTER! PLEASE!!!???***[b]

Comment

Welcome aboard!

I also grew up with the races, as well, this year will be my 25th year. (I'm 29)

This is a great website for all things Reno.

I am also an avid RC'er and must say that I am a huge Hitec fan. Great customer service. Hook me up with some servos!!!!!

Enjoy.

Comment

Hey Crazy: Here's a R/C post for ya! Peas

Jokes - Rumors - Etc. Keep it clean but keep it here. Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system.
                        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I agree - The Jet races suck - it's just that the L-39's are boreing. What we need is the F-86 Jet races or at least a
                          full field of migs!!! That would kick ass!! while I'm on it, Does anyone have any video of Jimmy Leeward hauling ass around the pylons in full afterburner in the mig 17? (was Leeward wasn't it?)

[b]**admin note.. REGISTER REGISTER REGISTER! PLEASE!!!???***[b]

Comment

Thank you all for making me feel welcome here. I can just feel the energy building towards the start of that first race.

See you all at Stead.

Peashooter, great thread on the DS'ing. 301MPH without an powerplant.
                            and now for the rest of the story....

Comment

You're only a 3-hr drive from Parker Mt.!
                              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                              X