Any news on the Rare Bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any news on the Rare Bear?

Haven't heard anything out of the Rare Bear camp since PRS. Is it running healthy and ready for the shootout come September time!?

Re: Any news on the Rare Bear?

Bear will be fine, getting a couple new jugs and pistons, looks good to go.
    Ron Henning

Comment

Great to hear! Thanks for the update.

Comment

I think they "fixed" it mid week by hogging out the inlets to near their original shape and size.

Comment

The inlets were part of the problem, also the throttle linkage was not adjusted right and they were'nt getting full throttle, all that was fixed I think by Saturday last year. Heard that from a crew member, don't remember his name.
          Ron Henning

Comment

Any news on the wing spar cracks?

As NASA said before Columbia's last flight, "Yes, we've seen that (foam strike damage) for years. It's normal."

The leading edge extension had an effect predicted by some that was never anticipated by the designers: It eliminated the vortex flow from the stock inlets. Thes vortexes were responsible for most of the stability and handling issues the plane had near its limits. "Hogging" the inlets back out may re-create the problem. No one currently on the team ever saw the original problem or understood the incidental fix, so it's pure chance if the issue will re-appear.

As always, I'll be looking at the oil...
            Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Originally posted by Ron101502
              Bear will be fine, getting a couple new jugs and pistons, looks good to go.

any word on why those jugs needed to be replaced? could it have been caused by blow-by that seems to have been pouring a bit more oil than usual?
              heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Here's some scoop on the Bear

Eric, your a very smart guy and I know you know what your talking about but come on the wing spar isn't cracked . If the wing spar were cracked this would render the Bear unserviceable and never to fly again.
                Also, you say no one currently on the team ever saw or understands the problem. I think you owe Bill Hickle, Ian and Lyle an apology. Please come on down Friday or Saturday (weekend before the races) and give these guys your input to a better inlet Idea. Something that could be accomplished in a few days, what other choice do we have at this point. The team has little time and worse yet very little money.

We are in the process of changing some jugs, 6 in all. 3 have already been replaced with 3 more to go starting as soon as we get there. As with every year, it's going to be tough road ahead. Getting the Bear in the air is never a given, it's never a done deal. You have to work and struggle every day just to get to Sunday. I encourage everyone to stop by the hangar anytime during the week, no secrets here, we always have time for fans and friends, we'll try to answer all your questions.

Wish us luck!!, we're going to need it!!

Scott Litster
                Rare Bear Crew

Comment

Scott, I assume the jugs being changed are the left-over ones with the bad valve guides, I seem the remember that bad batch was not entirely "purged" due to lack of spares. Is this right or are there other issues?

Ron
                  Ron Henning

Comment

Ron

How are you doing? Most of the cylinders have been replaced but not all of them were bad to begin with. For example we are changing #1 and #2 simply cause the Guru of all round motor Guru's "Mel" recommends we change them even know they test good. Once we get them off and after inspection we might use them as spares for the week if need be.

Its all about racin

Seeyaontheramp
                    Scott

Comment

Will the Bear fly to shake her out prior to qualifying? Looking forward to seeing the work turn into some hot laps this year.

Comment

Yes, we'll have to break in the new jugs.

Seeyaontheramp
                        Scott

Comment

Can't wait for that rumble over Cold Springs!
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

leo, you're in cold springs?
                            heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Yep. Deepsky is also.
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com