AN OPEN LETTER TO THE UNLIMITED PILOTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AN OPEN LETTER TO THE UNLIMITED PILOTS

2006 is shaping up to be one of the better years we've seen in a long time. A lot of good 'heavy metal' on the ramp with some hot engines to boot. To avoid a situation similar to what we have had in the last couple of years, I have a simple (yet understandably difficult, in light of fun and adrenaline) request:

To Tiger, Dan M., Ron B., Mike B., Bob B., Matt J., Sherwood Smooth, Jimmy L., and anyone else who has the potential of making the Gold Race on Sunday.....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE 'save it for Sunday'.

Skip used to say that 'Friday and Saturday were for the 'show', Sunday was for the dough'. Even more so for qualifying. I understand the need to go fast to get you into the right bracket and get you the right spot in the starting formation...but again....please save it for Sunday. You don't HAVE to go out on Monday and find out if Sparrow or Kerch was right that the engine 'would live at 150 inches'. I don't need to see a 500 mph qualifying lap 'just to see if you can do it'. I'd rather see 10 guys qualify in the 450's and live to see Sunday than have half (or more) planes sitting on the ramp Sunday afternoon with broken parts.

All bets are off by about 4:10 on Sunday afternoon. THEN, feel free to 'unleash the hounds'. But until then...please exercise some restraint.

Pretty Please????

Re: AN OPEN LETTER TO THE UNLIMITED PILOTS

GREAT post, Speed. But egos ensure that at least one or two will push for a new qualifying record -- if the temps are right. Oh, say Dago or Strega -- they have spares... It's gonna be a frickin' awesome week! Post early and often -- I don't get in till Friday night. Peas
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Don't forget Sept. Fury! Mike is a hammerdown kinda pilot, and with Kerch wrenching...
      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

I can't imagine the restaint it would take for myself to keep it cool untill Sunday, but it's still the right thing to do. However, please feel free to take a nice wide acr through the Valley of Speed so that you know your line when you do push them up to 150"s. The apex is the dirt road right next to the fence. It is the fast line through there.

Are you guys buying any of this? You should.

Remember, Fenceliners buy lots of shirts from the guys that take it out wide through there.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          2006 is shaping up to be one of the better years we've seen in a long time. A lot of good 'heavy metal' on the ramp with some hot engines to boot. To avoid a situation similar to what we have had in the last couple of years, I have a simple (yet understandably difficult, in light of fun and adrenaline) request:

To Tiger, Dan M., Ron B., Mike B., Bob B., Matt J., Sherwood Smooth, Jimmy L., and anyone else who has the potential of making the Gold Race on Sunday.....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE 'save it for Sunday'.

Skip used to say that 'Friday and Saturday were for the 'show', Sunday was for the dough'. Even more so for qualifying. I understand the need to go fast to get you into the right bracket and get you the right spot in the starting formation...but again....please save it for Sunday. You don't HAVE to go out on Monday and find out if Sparrow or Kerch was right that the engine 'would live at 150 inches'. I don't need to see a 500 mph qualifying lap 'just to see if you can do it'. I'd rather see 10 guys qualify in the 450's and live to see Sunday than have half (or more) planes sitting on the ramp Sunday afternoon with broken parts.

All bets are off by about 4:10 on Sunday afternoon. THEN, feel free to 'unleash the hounds'. But until then...please exercise some restraint.

Pretty Please????
          AMEN TO THAT!!!

Signed

Comment

Wouldn't it be fantastic to see all of the contenders make it to the gold final. We have 4 airplanes capable of winning without having to rely on attrition to do it. We have three former winners and the September Fury camp seem to be VERY pleased with the way things are going for them. I would just about give any one of them an equal chance of winning. One of my concerns is how important is pole position? I wonder how much faster in mph or knots the chasing airplane has to be to make a pass or will the fastest airplane win regardless of where it starts?

Comment

We have 4? What about Dreadnought? Might not be the fastest, but will do 450 all day long! Matt will keep everyone honest! Then there's another aircraft that's been kind of secretive about what's going on in their camp.(could be a Cinderella story (hint,hint) or could be a pumpkin) That makes 6 that I count.
              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub
                We have 4? What about Dreadnought? Might not be the fastest, but will do 450 all day long! Matt will keep everyone honest! Then there's another aircraft that's been kind of secretive about what's going on in their camp.(could be a Cinderella story (hint,hint) or could be a pumpkin) That makes 6 that I count.
                And let's not forget Voodoo...if the new Frankenmotor (Great Green Hope? White Hulk?) lives until Sunday, methinks that Mr. Button might be pushin' the Buick...

Only 23 days to go!!
                Mark Johnson
                Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

A BIG 10-4 ON A `BE SAFE `!
                  OLD WHEELCHOCK

Comment

I would agree with you partially.... BUT, I would think that the only way to be sure your not going to be riding a fancy glider with a big hot weight in the front of it come sunday is to make sure you can put the coal to it thurs-sat. Dont need to have your finger on the button every lap but no one wants to push an unproven motor. I REALLY want to see a good race on sunday, but to make that race good we need to know that each motor can produce. This is going to be a good year......

Comment

Speedemon, nice thought but it won't happen.....nor should
                      it happen with the compeditive bunch of pilots we have.
                      It is possible to run "BALLS TO THE WALL" and to enjoy the only
                      view a racer wants , out front and not Tail Feathers.
                      Rember TIGER in 1987.....if my memory serves me did he not go
                      out and set a record each time he left the pit...from Qualifying...to heat races..to the SUNDAY GOLD!
                      Then to show what its all about HE FLEW HOME ON THE SAME
                      MOUSE MOTOR.
                      BALLS TO THE WALL BOYS AND LETS SEE SOME GREAT SAFE RACES!

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
                        Only 23 days to go!!
                        Hmmmmm..... Some aircraft will start qualifying in 16 days!!!
                        23 days from the time of your post the Gold Race should be about over...
                        http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Seem logical enough. I, too, would like to see a highly competitive Gold race on Sunday.

But in racing, the goal is to win, eh? And one the key ingredients to a win is to have a great starting position. IIRC, the winner of Saturday's race gets the pole or first position (for Sunday)(please correct me if I'm wrong).

Over the years, I've seen some great races on Saturday. I'm expecting the same this year.

And like every year, I'll be rooting for everyone and against no one. I definitely want everyone back in '07. And '08...

Comment

Aircraft will break. It's a law of nature at Reno in particular. Is there a chance everyone makes it to Sunday? A small one, yes - dream all you like, that's part of the fun - but don't get your hopes up too high.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris
                              And like every year, I'll be rooting for everyone and against no one. I definitely want everyone back in '07. And '08...
                              I totally agree!

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                              X