Tripod or monopod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tripod or monopod?

Okay guys and gals. Which do you perfer for light video and photo use. Thinking of purshasing an inexpensive fluid mount tripod or a monopod. Any recomendations on each.... Not a pro so wanting to keep it under $100 and be able to tuck in a suitcase for Reno.
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

Tripod

Well then....that's like a baby's arm holding an apple.

Mr. Powers

Comment

Re: Tripod or monopod?

I used a tripod last year for the first time with my video camera. Found it very difficult to maintain a fluid motion pan with the aircraft. I would suggest using a monopod. Don't have to worry about the tilt handles and various axis. Will be working a monopod this year, unless I get the DSLR Canon 30d, then will probably leave the video camera home this year. Best Buy has a monopod for I believe about $30.

Just my opinion...

Warren
      Crewmember
      "Two of Hearts"
      Race 22

Comment

Re: Tripod

Originally posted by Michael Caine
        Well then....that's like a baby's arm holding an apple.

Mr. Powers
        Tubes fan?

I'm a big believer in tripods. It's the best money I've ever spent after the camera itself of couse. I find if I level it well then free up both axis, I don't have a problem paning to follow the action. Well at least I have less problems than other methods. I find with a mono pod it's too easy to get off verticle and end up with tilted horizons. Hand held is just to jerky on full telephoto for video, and I've actually fallen over once tracking the blue angels passing directly overhead. I'm glad I wasn't standing on top of my car at the time.

For stills, I shoot hand held.
        Bill Garnett
        InterstellarDust
        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Tripod. Or hand-held.

Depending on shutter speed/desired effects.
          Jerry Beck II
          Director of Photography
          1st. Asst. Director
          Thunder Over Reno

Comment

Monopod, tripod just gets in the way, plus mine weighs about 6 lbs. I'm already carrying around about 15lbs of gear as it is. Just don't leave your monopod on the ground. Someone in Tunica got themselves a nice gift when I left it behind!!

Comment

Monopod it is for me.

Thanks folks. My buddy let me borrow his Monopode. Fits in a suitcase just fine and well, I stumbled over my "HIGH Friction" tripod last year..ugh.
              Randy Rheinschild
              www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Tim --

Glad I'm not the only one! I walked away from and lost a nice Gitzo tripod at the Hamilton Race in 1988. Also once left a Nikon flash (expensive) on the press bus at Reno, and lost that too.

All too easy to do in the heat of the moment...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                  Tim --

Glad I'm not the only one! I walked away from and lost a nice Gitzo tripod at the Hamilton Race in 1988. Also once left a Nikon flash (expensive) on the press bus at Reno, and lost that too.

All too easy to do in the heat of the moment...

Neal
                  I left my folding chair in the luggage bin of the press bus a few years ago.. does that count??

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Then there was the year that my bicycle and my tripod dueled in the back of my truck all the way between Kfalls and Susanville (going through the curvy road where you turn right at the T rather than go to Alturas...

The bike won! Tripod wound up in several peices..

I shoulda known all that ruckus in the back of the truck was bad news but I was late for the motorhome appointment and just hadda get there!

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                    X