voodoo motor gets green light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voodoo motor gets green light

Voodoo's hulk motor performed great on Jack Hoveys test stand Sunday. Sparrow get a great job getting the engine ready so soon after the failed Roush bearings. Botton had a spare case from another engine that was installed by Mike. Ran 3400rpm at 98 in., ready to install. Lots of pictues on voodoo site by end of week.

Re: voodoo motor gets green light

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Sparrow get a great job getting the engine ready so soon after the failed Roush bearings.
    I thought Roush made the steel end caps and not the bearings?
    Also herd that the bearings and end caps are not the cause of the problems. It would be nice to hear the Roush side of the story.

Comment

The web site will have video of the test run by the end of the week along with some pictures. We wish we had the answer about the Jack Roush lower end. The only thing we know for sure is that all the lower ends in his cases failed. We are not running his case in this engine and we are not having bearing problems. We hope to resolve it at some point in the furture but in the mean time we have a race engine for Reno.

Dan and Darren

Comment

I'll try to attach a two pictures of the engine run.

Dan
        [IMG]EngineTest1[/IMG]
        [IMG]EngineTest2[/IMG]

Comment

The web site will have video of the test run by the end of the week along with some pictures. We wish we had the answer about the Jack Roush lower end. The only thing we know for sure is that all the lower ends in his cases failed. We are not running his case in this engine and we are not having bearing problems. We hope to resolve it at some point in the furture but in the mean time we have a race engine for Reno.

Dan and Darren

Comment

This is indeed great news.

This year is going to be great!!!

Lonnie

Comment

Dan and Darren...

Just checked the Voodoo site, and while we all appreciate the updates regarding the "new" White Hope race Merlin, I thought you might want to set a couple things straight on your cover story. First off, the White Hope motor was the first incarnation of the Allison-rod Mouse motor developed by Dwight Thorn, but it was never raced in Pegasus/Voodoo until the early to mid-'90's, IIRC. It was, however, raced by Chuck Hall in it's developmental stages in the early '80's, but in a stocker Mustang called Section 8, not Pegasus. In addition, Chuck Hall at one time owned the race #5 Mustang Miss RJ, which eventually became the Roto-Finish Special (then owned by Gunther Balz), and finally, The Red Baron (owned by Ed Browning), but he never did own Pegasus/Voodoo. Pegasus was owned by the late Bill Speer and raced by D.D. Williams until Bob Button purchased the racer in 1994, I believe, when it then became race #55 Voodoo Chile and finally, race #5 Voodoo. The last time Pegasus/Voodoo Chile ran the White Hope motor, according to Bob Button, was 1995. From 1996-99, Voodoo Chile/Voodoo ran a bright pink Allison-rod Merlin known as The Pink Muscle, and from 2000-2005 have run Jack Hovey's fine engines.

Hopefully that clarifies some things, and thanks for the upkeep of the Voodoo website.

SA

Comment

Ok, now to get really technical, I was informed that it was called "The Great White Hope" and indeed was the testbed for the Allison rods.

Michael

Comment

So how are Strega's engines?

Jarrod

Comment

Tiger and LD are at Air Sparrow's today watching the instillation of another set of blade rods. Roush had "Le Tiger" clearence the rods to 12/1000 which he says will fix the problem! After assembly the engine goes to Nixon's test cell to see if this is the fix!

Comment

Check out enging run video at voodooairracing.com.

**administrator's note: PLEASE think about registering! We're getting so many SPAM posts lately that the queue gets pretty dense with them and ligitimate "guest" posts wind up mixed in. There is a large chance that time will not be available over the next four weeks to police the queue and MANY unregistered posts will simply be deleted to clear the database of the SPAM messages with which they will be intertwined. Please take the time to register. It's free, it's easy and it's private.

THANKS!**

Comment

Re: Dan and Darren...

Originally posted by Smee Again
                        From 1996-99, Voodoo Chile/Voodoo ran a bright pink Allison-rod Merlin known as The Pink Muscle

SA
                        Ewwww, that just sounds nasty :P

I thought I'd read of that engine being referred to as "Victoria Mouse" also, maybe more in jest. And isn't it the one that was damaged due to failed prop governor oil line and subsequent runaway prop with Bob Hannah at the stick? I still say it committed suicide out of shame due to being painted that color

Comment

Re: Dan and Darren...

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                          I still say it committed suicide out of shame due to being painted that color

Nah, when Circus Circus sponsored a hydroplane back in the late '70's and early '80's, all their Merlins were painted hot pink....and it really WAS kind of cool. You definitely KNEW where they were from!

Comment

here is the link to the wed site...http://www.voodooairracing.com/

is Bob standing in front of Voodoo in that video?

Comment

If your talking about the one in the Engine run video then its a no. That mustang is the desert camo painted mustang that belongs to Jack Hovey. It was raced at reno a while back, but I can't remember the name of it, or who flew it. I wanna say it was Bob Love? Geeks, help me out.

Comment

Working...
                              X