Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stead Campers - Help Needed PM Me Pleaseeee!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stead Campers - Help Needed PM Me Pleaseeee!!

Can those of you here who camp at Stead during the race week PLEASE PM me. I've something of interest for you but can't say it in open forum...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Stead Campers - Help Needed PM Me Pleaseeee!!

I can tell by the concern in some of the PM responses to this message, that some of you are worried by the question....

REST easy! Without going into detail, which for probably obvious reasons would not be a good idea, the movie company (TOR) will shoot a scene in one of the camps during Reno week..

Should be a lot of fun, by keeping it "under wraps" we can help ensure that the crew is able to get in, do the shot, get out and everyone can watch the races...

Sorry if my initial message caused any concern...

THANKS for all the responses! Filled my inbox twice ya did!

Wayenr
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, you might want to mention to the movie-folks that they should head out to the fenceline area (via red rock road) sometime during raceweek. Many of the campsites that are out there all week are fairly elaborate, some with raised scaffold platforms and huge groups. They might be able to shoot some usable footage if they do. No doubt a lot of those campers don't even know this forum exists.

I would have responded, but I haven't actually camped AT Stead in nearly a decade. I use to camp out by the fenceline area until the dust, sagebrush & red ants (and banning of open campfires) finally became too much, and before that I camped near the tower on the static display end of the field in the 80's until all the good spots were fenced in or turned into RV lots.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Many locals are concerned. Many that do not come to these boards.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
          Thanks for the info. Many locals are concerned. Many that do not come to these boards.
          Ummn... if they don't come to these boards, how do they know to be concerned?

Not trying to pick a fight, just curious

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
            Ummn... if they don't come to these boards, how do they know to be concerned?

Not trying to pick a fight, just curious

Well Wayne because I work with them and know that they have no idea what AAFO is. If they don't know the site and I do. Then you post this PM me only thing how are the people out of this circle supposed to know what is up. The world does not revolve around this site. The people that live here are more confused than you are when you post such things because some of them have camped in th same spots for many years, and hate it when the spots they camp on keep shrinking. If you knew the future of Stead you would be too. The residents between pylons 2 and 3 have been given two years to vacate for development in Lemmon Valley. Matt will come and back me up on this. Some of his family are some of them. If you don't want to pick a fight quite trying to understand what goes on here. We live here and have enjoyed the air races for many years. We all know that it only has a few years left and would like to enjoy them while they last.

Comment

I guess that explains it...

I think you missed my point Mike. If they don't know about it, which you so aptly pointed out in your response. How can a little message on this board where I needed to contact some folks privately cause someone who does not read it any grief?

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I will personally come to Nevada and chain myself to a tree in any develpments that threaten the future of these races.

Comment

I guess that explains it...

I think you missed my point Mike. If they don't know about it, which you so aptly pointed out in your response. How can a little message on this board where I needed to contact some folks privately cause someone who does not read it any grief?

My boss has camped out there for 35 years now. When he started to plan this year to have a Regent Air camp out in the sagebrush I told him about your post. Every year we just wait for the no camping along fense line to be made. With all the devolpment it's something we all fear. Look at the title of you post Wayne. Sounds pretty urgent! Stead campers is more than just a few people.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
                    My boss has camped out there for 35 years now. When he started to plan this year to have a Regent Air camp out in the sagebrush I told him about your post. Every year we just wait for the no camping along fense line to be made. With all the devolpment it's something we all fear. Look at the title of you post Wayne. Sounds pretty urgent! Stead campers is more than just a few people.
                    Again, I realize that some folks got the wrong idea about the first message but I still don't see, when rereading it, where as much negativity as you've read into it came from.

Sorry if you got the wrong idea, I was thrown a project (find a location for a scene to be shot for TOR) and given the time left, I put in the urgency theme in the title. I never imagined that anyone would take it to any other level than that I needed help on something.. I should have put a happy face as the thread icon..

Oh well.. All's good. Reno's around the corner and we're all gonna enjoy some of the best racing action in years!

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Again, I realize that some folks got the wrong idea about the first message but I still don't see, when rereading it, where as much negativity as you've read into it came from.

Sorry if you got the wrong idea, I was thrown a project (find a location for a scene to be shot for TOR) and given the time left, I put in the urgency theme in the title. I never imagined that anyone would take it to any other level than that I needed help on something.. I should have put a happy face as the thread icon..

Oh well.. All's good. Reno's around the corner and we're all gonna enjoy some of the best racing action in years!

I just hope the film crew doesn't get all hammered from the free drinks that people will be giving them. I know one camp that will have a Margarita Slurppee machine out there. I'm sure they will be treated very well.

Comment

???

This thread has certainly taken a strange twist.

Originally posted by FNG
                        I know what you mean. Half the fenceline area (the portion closer to the grandstands) has already been blocked from visitors for years, though it WAS private property, and we are lucky we have what we have.

In the late 80's I came up and found that the ENTIRE fenceline area was barred. It was only after a change of heart by those concerned that we were eventually allowed out there that year (God bless 'em). It was a sign of things to eventually come, and I'm surprised it hasn't happened long ago

Yes, it's probably just a matter of time before the entire track gets surrounded by homesteads, or at the least barered from camping, and all favorable trackside locations become unavailable to us.

I try to make the best of it until that day comes. While I don't overnight-camp there anymore, it's still my favorite viewing location (and if you have ever seen any of Bearfan1's videos shot from there, you can understand why).

When that day comes that the fenceline area becomes no longer available to visitors, the Reno Air Races are going to lose a lot of their attraction for quite a few people. I imagine it's the same for the Lemmon Valley side of the course, though I have never camped there.

Trackside locations for camping and viewing are one of the best things about this event, and sitting in the stands far away from the racecourse is simply not a replacement, especially since all the great camping areas near the grandstands have been developed or fenced in.

I can see why some folk were worried by Wayne's (stealthy?) request, but in the end his query was harmless enough, so there's no reason for anger or frustration to be directed at him any more, if there ever was.

Can't we all just get along?

(Rodney King mode: OFF)

Comment

the dust, sagebrush & red ants (and banning of open campfires)
                          Sounds like my backyard...
                          If you own the land up to the fence, how can they ban you from using it as you please?
                          I have been actively looking for property to move close to if not on the airport boundary in the Red Rock area. It ain't cheap but is out there. As long as there is no setback restriction, you bust no hieght restrictions and there is nothing required of you at purchase (some agreement? There is no HOA out there) they connot tell you anything. The only other restraint I could see would be a County ordinance. I'll look into that.
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I'm assuming that it was the landowners themselves that made such a NO FIRES requirment of the campers, most likely with some persuasion from the local fire marshall.

I don't believe that applies to what one does in their own backyard, but that's just a guess.

Comment

I can have a fire in my yard where I am no IF it is in an enclosed fireplace. Knowing the Red Rock area I am sure there are laws preventing open fires out there an common sense would dictate it anyway. I am also sure that there are county laws prohibiting the rental of space for camping, along with the normal health codes, zoning issues for camping etc.
                              What I would like to look into is what rights and restrictions RARA or anyone else has on private property, and how far they extend into the property. Even my current HOA allows up to 3 visiting vehicles (motorhomes, trailers, etc., as long as they are behind a fence) for 10 days.
                              Of course, everything I have seen so far is at least a couple of lots fronm the fence so the point is moot!
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X